Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karpathy leaves - what's next for AP/FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally possible. Maybe Lidar is even smaller and cheaper than a camera and makes for a viable option
Cost wise, nope.

Cost wise, nope.

From the article;

Today startups have brought the costs of LiDAR units down to below $1,000 in the case of Luminar, and Velodyne even introduced a more limited LiDAR called the Velabit for $100 at CES 2020, but it remains to be seen how many of these will be needed per vehicle.

Most consumer cars will only use 1 front lidar to reduce cost. Below is the Volvo XC90 that has one small forward facing lidar in the top of the windshield. With only one small lidar at less than $1000, cost will not be a big issue IMO.

VB6O56Y6JVKBFDFWF2SZWHNOLE.jpg

The 100$ is for a reduced functionality, experimental part.

$1000 is not small change for only a forward view.

Cameras are cheaper today, still. That said, I am a big proponent of Tesla using multiple sensors to achieve L3.
The current corner they seem to have painted themselves into with vision only is probably not going to help them.

Reactions: Ramphex
The 100$ is for a reduced functionality, experimental part.

$1000 is not small change for only a forward view.

Cameras are cheaper today, still. That said, I am a big proponent of Tesla using multiple sensors to achieve L3.
The current corner they seem to have painted themselves into with vision only is probably not going to help them.
Nope, but that line helped them when there were radar shortages/supply chain issues. I suspect that was more the reason why Tesla went “vision only”….

Reactions: Ramphex
Okay, question to this esteemed group - For those who purchased FSD and have HW3; will Tesla provide a free HW4 upgrade if that is needed to achieve FSD?

We don't know.

I guess it depends a lot on how Tesla defines "achieve FSD". If we look at the FSD page, the only feature that is not delivered yet is the "auto steer on city streets". If Tesla delivers that feature on HW3 then they could argue that they have delivered all the features promised for FSD and have therefore achieved FSD. In that case, I think they are unlikely to offer a free upgrade to HW4. If we define "achieve FSD" as L4/L5/Removing driver supervision, then Tesla will probably need HW4 for that. In that case, I could see Tesla maybe offering a free upgrade to HW4.

Personally, I think Tesla will deliver "autosteer on city streets" on HW3 and say that FSD has been achieved and is done. Then they will announce HW4 with new sensors (upgraded cameras + radar) and promise "Next level FSD". Customers will need to trade in their cars to get HW4. That way, Tesla can milk customers for more money.

We don't know.

I guess it depends a lot on how Tesla defines "achieve FSD". If we look at the FSD page, the only feature that is not delivered yet is the "auto steer on city streets". If Tesla delivers that feature on HW3 then they could argue that they have delivered all the features promised for FSD and have therefore achieved FSD. In that case, I think they are unlikely to offer a free upgrade to HW4. If we define "achieve FSD" as L4/L5/Removing driver supervision, then Tesla will probably need HW4 for that. In that case, I could see Tesla maybe offering a free upgrade to HW4.

Personally, I think Tesla will deliver "autosteer on city streets" on HW3 and say that FSD has been achieved and is done. Then they will announce HW4 with new sensors (upgraded cameras + radar) and promise "Next level FSD". Customers will need to trade in their cars to get HW4. That way, Tesla can milk customers for more money.
But my utters run dry… 🤣

I agree with @diplomat33, but it should be noted that Tesla is disrupting the market a bit with upgrades. Historically, there has never been a car that can be upgraded by the manufacturer with new technology to give feature parity with newer models. When any car company came out with a refresh of a model, or re-design of the model, with new features and technology, you had to trade in your old car and buy a new one to get those features. Upgrading MCU, CPU, Cameras, etc. to get more functionality was just not done.

We Tesla owners are a bit spoiled with software upgrades, changing our cars and giving us new features, and even hardware upgrades (those that have received HW upgrades, camera upgrades, etc.). Does anyone have examples of cars they've owned in the past that received regular over-the-air software updates, hardware upgrades, giving them new features/capabilities? Even those who've had to take their cars into service to get updates, have those updates changed the car or given new functionality? The only car I remember getting updates was GPS/mapping updates after taking it into a service center. And the first one was free, but subsequent I had to pay for the new map data. My Chevy Bolt only ever got 1 over-the-air update in the entire 5 years I owned it, and it was just bug-fixes (which didn't solve any of my problems, unfortunately).

Reactions: Thp3 and jebinc
I agree with @diplomat33, but it should be noted that Tesla is disrupting the market a bit with upgrades. Historically, there has never been a car that can be upgraded by the manufacturer with new technology to give feature parity with newer models. When any car company came out with a refresh of a model, or re-design of the model, with new features and technology, you had to trade in your old car and buy a new one to get those features. Upgrading MCU, CPU, Cameras, etc. to get more functionality was just not done.

We Tesla owners are a bit spoiled with software upgrades, changing our cars and giving us new features, and even hardware upgrades (those that have received HW upgrades, camera upgrades, etc.). Does anyone have examples of cars they've owned in the past that received regular over-the-air software updates, hardware upgrades, giving them new features/capabilities? Even those who've had to take their cars into service to get updates, have those updates changed the car or given new functionality? The only car I remember getting updates was GPS/mapping updates after taking it into a service center. And the first one was free, but subsequent I had to pay for the new map data. My Chevy Bolt only ever got 1 over-the-air update in the entire 5 years I owned it, and it was just bug-fixes (which didn't solve any of my problems, unfortunately).
My newer Subarus received OtA updates, but they were infrequent.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
We don't know.

That is why I always ask “define fsd” for that will change as we move ahead like FSD in inclement weather or unmarked lanes, for example

Reactions: diplomat33

I think it becomes worse for every update. if I could go back in time I would have kept it at a 2018 version that had a working autopilot. NoA is not worth it especially in Europe, where it's effectively dead (must flip stalk to engage any lane change anyway)

One thing that is objectively true: FSD will be feature complete when Elon says it's feature complete, and it will have the autonomous capabilities that it has at that time (assuming they don't opt for the "regulators shut us down" storyline). There are no published standards or regulations by which it must be judged to be called complete. I seriously doubt those capabilities will require new sensors that warrant another free upgrade.

On the other hand, I also doubt that the current hardware platform will ever have better than a limited L3 autonomous capability on highways.