Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karpathy leaves - what's next for AP/FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1657749024455.png

It appears that it was going to happen by his hiatus, but now its official, what's next for AP/FSD?
Elon said they're still on track for greater than human safety by the end of the year and I'm assuming he knew that Karpathy probably wasn't coming back. It will be interesting to see where Karpathy goes. My guess is it won't be a another self-driving car company.

It appears that it was going to happen by his hiatus, but now its official, what's next for AP/FSD?

IMO, Karpathy pretty much saved FSD because if memory serves, AP2 was really struggling to even reach parity with AP1. It is Karpathy who came in and shifted things to "software 2.0" that really made a big difference. I remember there was a significant update in 2018 that used Karpathy first big rewrite of AP, that saw a drastic improvement to lane keeping. After that, AP2 saw more and more progress. Lane keeping got really solid. Then came NOA and now FSD Beta. Karpathy was really instrumental in all of that. There is a part of me that is a bit pessimistic now as a result. But hopefully, Tesla has a strong AP/FSD team that can continue the work Karpathy started. If so, then nothing will change really. it will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace him.

Elon said they're still on track for greater than human safety by the end of the year and I'm assuming he knew that Karpathy probably wasn't coming back.

Well but Elon would say that no matter what. He's always claiming FSD will be safer than humans by end of the year.

Yea saw this coming. Sabbatical means I'm burnt out and ready to go. Best of luck to his future endeavor at google. lol

I've seen a lot of reports that the work environment on the FSD team was horrible. Grueling work hours, impossible deadlines, little support from supervisors. It probably got even worse with FSD beta with Elon demanding new software releases every 2 weeks. So it is likely Karpathy just got burned out and had enough.

Elon said that Tesla's valuation depends on solving FSD. So Elon likely feels a sense of urgency in making FSD progress. But I think Elon might be pushing the FSD team too hard, demanding fast progress every 2 weeks. There is such a thing as pushing a team too hard to the point where people quit. And having your head of AI quit will hurt progress. So pushing your team too hard can actually backfire.

He'd been on leave since like March, and a lot of people (including me) kinda knew that was an exit.

Tesla burns people out, including good ones. But it also attracts almost unlimited new talent, so they get away with it. Hopefully the next guy will also be well respected and skilled.

Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if he went on "sabbatical" with Elon knowing he won't return, just to not hurt and manipulate the stock price.

Doesn't seem like the Tesla team has much issues pumping out buggy FSD Beta releases without him though.