Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbed wheel 20" performance grey...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would something like this be suitable? Appreciate your suggestions!

Tesla Sonic Carbon Grey 2013-2018 Alloy Wheel & Rim Paint Repair Kit for Scuffs | eBay

Your photo looks like the grey Aeros. If that's the case then the recommended touch up (from several sources) is:

Paint for ford DARK SHADOW GRAY CX paint Touch up brush scratch chip repair

I haven't yet used it myself but got some on Ebay to be prepared, but it's available in various places. You would expect the tesla stuff to be superior but I don't know that.

Your photo looks like the grey Aeros. If that's the case then the recommended touch up (from several sources) is:

Paint for ford DARK SHADOW GRAY CX paint Touch up brush scratch chip repair

I haven't yet used it myself but got some on Ebay to be prepared, but it's available in various places. You would expect the tesla stuff to be superior but I don't know that.

Had my performance wheel done today, colour match and finish ok, rim edge where damage was is not quite as sharp now. Have attached before and after image.

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_145803.jpg
    IMG_20200303_145803.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20200215_125713.jpg
    IMG_20200215_125713.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 196
Had my performance wheel done today, colour match and finish ok, rim edge where damage was is not quite as sharp now. Have attached before and after image.
Wow that original damage was quite bad! I checked my ‘mistake’ this morning & it’s hardly noticeable, in fact I had to double check I was looking at the correct wheel!

Think I’m going to leave the repair for now, was quoted £70 to get it repaired.

I’ve cancelled my gym membership today because the car park is just too tight for a Tesla ha!

Reactions: Skeewiff
It just happened. The moment I have been dreading since I picked up my M3P. I too have just kerbed a good third of the rear passenger side wheel rim. I have been extra scared with this car as I know just how delicate and expensive they are.. and scuffs on the grey really do show.

I had started looking into replacing them altogether, and keeping the performance rims and tyres fresh for when I eventually trade this one in for a model Y, but now that they've been 'christened' I may repair and keep instead.

Does anyone know if I'll now ever be accepted into the Alloy wheel insurance club, if in the past I have gashed and repaired?

It just happened. The moment I have been dreading since I picked up my M3P. I too have just kerbed a good third of the rear passenger side wheel rim. I have been extra scared with this car as I know just how delicate and expensive they are.. and scuffs on the grey really do show.

I had started looking into replacing them altogether, and keeping the performance rims and tyres fresh for when I eventually trade this one in for a model Y, but now that they've been 'christened' I may repair and keep instead.

Does anyone know if I'll now ever be accepted into the Alloy wheel insurance club, if in the past I have gashed and repaired?
Don’t worry, you won’t have a problem getting alloy insurance. You just need to get this one repaired before you take the insurance out. A single repair should cost you £50-£60.

Once you’ve had that repaired, just take out your insurance as normal. They will want photos of each wheel to prove they are pristine when you take out the policy.

Model 3 wheels do seem very prone to kerbing!

I'm dreading this. I've been driving around an i3 for the past year which has pretty chunky tyres, and there's a couple of places on my daily commute where I'm faced with either driving very close to, or up the kerb, or htiting someone's wing mirror simply because they don't move over far enough. There has been at least one occasion where I have rubbed the tyre, which would've been a gouge on these wheels.

I don't think taking them off is the right answer though. You paid for them, there is no sense in my mind in putting them in a box and preserving them for the next owner - what's the point of having them in the first place otherwise?

I'm dreading this. I've been driving around an i3 for the past year which has pretty chunky tyres, and there's a couple of places on my daily commute where I'm faced with either driving very close to, or up the kerb, or htiting someone's wing mirror simply because they don't move over far enough. There has been at least one occasion where I have rubbed the tyre, which would've been a gouge on these wheels.

I don't think taking them off is the right answer though. You paid for them, there is no sense in my mind in putting them in a box and preserving them for the next owner - what's the point of having them in the first place otherwise?

Haha. I'm booking my i3 in at the same time as I've managed to ding 2 of those as well! I guess I'm the kerbing kind.

You're right, buying a new car, taking its wheels off and putting them in a box, makes no sense whatsoever! But I do tend to destroy wheels, and the following video gave me the fear, (as I did precisely this to some low profiles on an Alfa I once owned)

However, once they've both been fixed, I think I will opt for the Alloy insurance, as Its the peace of mind more than anything.

Reactions: Durzel