Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbside pole-mounted chargers are now a thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exploren is the billing network for the Intellihub Bayside network. $0.50/kWh. First unit in Wolli Creek now open.

photostudio_1699359374220.jpg
photostudio_1699359474277.jpg

And official launch today

The more the merrier… but the EVX solution looks a lot better to me because it was designed expressly for timber pole mounting as a single box solution - as well as capable of supplying 2 x EVs at once.

That padlocked steel box just looks clunky and together with the Schneider unit is just as big as EVX.

But they managed to get Bowen there 😄

Reactions: moa999
And like mushrooms.

Added some pics of this one in Coogee.

And in Lane Cove

The first two are very close to the multiple free AC chargers in the shopping centres so I suspect will get limited usage

FYI for (Sydney) Northern Beaches area, I just received this email from the Council as I had made a submission in support of this:

Dear Ted

Recently we asked for your feedback on 12 proposed sites to install EV charging stations as part of the Intellihub EV Streetside Charging Project.

We received 429 responses, and would like to thank all who provided feedback. Further detail on the engagement outcomes, including all verbatim comments, is available in the Community Engagement Report.

After reviewing all feedback received, a report on the engagement outcomes was presented to the Local Traffic Committee on Wednesday 8 November 2023. The Committee approved the recommendation to support the 12-month trial at the following seven (7) sites:
  • Governor Phillip Park, Palm Beach (outside Dunes Palm Beach)
  • Dearin Reserve - opposite 13 Kalinya Street, Newport
  • 15 Coronation Street, Mona Vale
  • Blackbutts Road (opposite Malbara Crescent), Frenchs Forest
  • 9 Anzac Avenue, Collaroy
  • 25-27 Ashburner Street, Manly
  • 4 West Promenade, Manly.
View the Committee Meeting Report (Item 4.5, page 51) and Minutes (Item 4.5, page 9).

Appropriate signage will be installed at each site, and at the conclusion of the 12-month trial, we will conduct an evaluation, including further consultation with our community.

NB Council has promoted these as 22kW but it seems from the overall Intellihub web site that they are only 7kW. However I note that Intellihub Woli Ck promote those as 22kW so it would be interesting to know the reality. Perhaps they really will be 22kW which would be excellent (Zoe 22kW and Tesla 11kW)

Perhaps they really will be 22kW which would be excellent (Zoe 22kW and Tesla 11kW)
I drove up past the North Palm Beach site first thing this morning but didn’t see any signage or other indications of any pre-work starting there yet. I’ll keep an eye out for that one and give it a try as soon as it is operational. That area is a (paid, or annual permit) 12 hour daily limit area. Dunes restaurant/cafe is directly opposite North Palm Beach surf club, so the location would be good for people visiting and “swimming between the flags” there. Usual comment applies that one charger is never enough, but one is better than zero, so hopefully it will be considered a success by the end of the trial. There are at least two Teslas and an Atto3 living within easy walking distance of the location, so if they use them sometimes it will help get the stats up.

Likely biggest issue there - other than possibly randoms vandalising it (it’s pretty deserted there at night) - is it will be an extreme corrosion test for whatever hardware they install. A couple of hours anywhere in that carpark and your car has a reasonable crusting of salt.

Given it is a trial involving 50 chargers and a number of council areas for one year, I can understands the initial installation of only one per spot. I pop up there weekly for a 1hr walk so very convenient and occasionally go to Dunes cafe or restaurant. So I can do the occasional plugin to assist the numbers. There are now a lot of EVs in this area and no charging at all North of Mona Vale. I live in Avalon which missed out in the voting but would have assuredly got a lot more people charging if they had installed one there (it was proposed to be in a good spot).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Last edited:
EVX is expanding into Endeavour Energy territory; ABC Illawarra has reported one of the 5 pilot sites have gone live been installed outside their Wollongong location.

Page on the Wollongong Council for the 5 trial sites - Kerbside Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Points Pilot

View attachment 1000580
None of the 5 sites are appearing on the EVX app or EVX website yet.

Have added it to PlugShare in the meantime (pending further details or photos) 12-20 Victoria St Parking | Wollongong, NSW | EV Station
let's hope there's some ev parking while charging signs in front of them, looks like that's an ICE in the pic

And speaking of EVX, I had my second EVX session today in Carillion Ave. It’s the same cost to park and charge ($6/hr at 12kW) as it is to park using the parking meters! And a helluva lot cheaper than the eye-watering rates to park in the RPAH Medical Centre car park.

There was already a Tesla there parked in the forward (Port A) spot, but thankfully parked all the way forward in the spot so that when I parked in the Port B spot my 5m long cable was just long enough to reach.

The only other time I tried to use this charger (pre pavement painting), the forward spot was ICEd and it was badly parked, making it impossible for me to get close enough to the EVX unit to plug in.