Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kerbside pole-mounted chargers are now a thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically an installation that is a one off rather than taking a more generalised approach with planning foresight as to where chargers should go and how many.
I like that idea. I’m also intrigued by the idea that charging spots (at the lower end of power output) might also end up being pretty ubiquitous. Cost and reliability will be an issue. I’m thinking of the way we just casually plug our phones in wherever to charge when we need rather than having a particular strategy. Road trips are of course a different use case that just “grazing” around while doing the daily routine.

Reactions: dronus
Some new pole chargers on the Chargefox network spotted in north Bondi

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

Those are really clean. Much more discreet than the big Schneider "bar fridge" hanging off the pole!

Yes but only possible in brand new street poles. EVX can be installed on any existing pole, making EVX’s addressable market about 10,000 times bigger.

Also, only one car per pole. EVX does 2 cars per pole.

There’s been radio silence on the progress of the ARENA funded Intellihub/Schneider street pole trial.

Albeit I assume you could install two of those units in one pole.

Maybe. EVX say they can install one of their boxes in 4-6 hours once they have all the approvals. Even ignoring the cost of a new pole (substantial), it would take much longer than that to install a new pole due to the concrete ground works required. Can’t imagine it would be cheaper.

I lodged a complaint via SCC’s web form saying that these EVX parking spots should be painted blue with the EV symbol like the one at Glebe is. That seems to be a significant visual barrier that discourages ICEing.

SCC finally got back to me and advised that the EV charging spaces in Carillion Ave and Brown St will be painted, works scheduled for completion in November. They also said that the rangers are “monitoring these parking spaces and issuing fines to illegally parked vehicles”.

Some new pole chargers on the Chargefox network spotted in north Bondi
Went for a drive this afternoon
Looks like council have put up smartpoles the whole length of Glenayr Ave.

And there are actually five of these EVSE points (only three listed currently on Chargefox). The street is only about 500m long.

Unfortunately no signage yet so most were ICEd.
Most of the street is 1P daytime, 4P evening.

Last edited:
SCC finally got back to me and advised that the EV charging spaces in Carillion Ave and Brown St will be painted, works scheduled for completion in November. They also said that the rangers are “monitoring these parking spaces and issuing fines to illegally parked vehicles”.
good news - I’ll be away for most of November in EV heaven aka Norway, so it’ll be a nice surprise when I get back
I guess the section of the council that paints the road is a separate part from the one that installs chargers, which is separate from the rangers
running Sydney is a mega-operation - there are whole countries with fewer people

Reactions: Vostok