TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Key Fob Battery Status app?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brianstorms, Dec 30, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Here's my latest wish-list item (albeit a minor item):

I would like to be able to go into Controls/Settings, or, maybe some new app, where I fire up a page that says "press your keyfob button now" and you do, and the car comes back and says, "your keyfob battery is currently at 46%" or whatever. So, I can know when it's getting close to time to change the CR032 battery.

Of course, it might require a new type of keyfob from Tesla, one that would send battery-charge-level data to the car when asked. I doubt that is in the current communications protocol.

Yeah, the alternative is to take the battery out of the fob and test it with a voltmeter or whatever, but I don't wanna do that :)

2. MarkR

MarkR Member

Another of your great ideas. Until Tesla addresses your concern with an app feature, I'd suggest having an extra fob battery in your glove box . . . or maybe in the side door pocket when they get around to that enhancement!

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

The car will give a notice when it senses the fob with a low battery.... However, I wouldn't wait or rely on that. I keep a spare in the glove box.

4. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Cool, if that is true, then the keyfob must actually communicate battery strength to the car already. Good to know.

5. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

It’s cheaper for Tesla to send you a new battery every six months / year than to pay for the development of a battery level monitor UI. I’m not saying they won’t do it some day, but those FOB batteries are cheap
    Here’s a 10 pack for $4.64
    Amazon.com: Sony CR2032 Lithium 3V Batteries (2 x Pack of 5)