Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my X on Tuesday! I'll give my initial impressions below, but first, the point of this post:

I understand the key fob for the X is slightly different than the S. I want to get some kind of case or holder to protect it - but I've searched all over online and can only find a case or holder for the S. Are they close enough that a holder for the S key fob will work? I have work keys and other car keys, and having them all in my pocket will likely damage the key fob over time if I don't protect it.

Now...for those who are interested, my initial thoughts.

WOW! I live in Sacramento, but wants to do the factory tour so opted for factory pickup. A colleague from work drove me down and joined me on the tour. The tour was very cool - I wasn't as 'wowed' by the factory as I thought I would be, but I guess I was expecting too much. Still amazing...

But driving the car...I test drove an S a few times, but had never driven the X. I got to sit in one a few weeks ago in the showroom but it wasn't available for a test drive. So my first experience driving the X was on my own!

My vin # is 64xx. I got. 09D, 7 seat, red, white seats, premium upgrade, standard wheels, standard sound, autopilot, and carbon fiber - black headline. Also the tow package and high amp charger. The red with white and carbon fiber I absolutely love! I don't know that I'll ever use the tow package, but it wasn't that much more. Oh, and I got the cold weather package...not really needed in Sacramento but I might go to Tahoe once or twice per year, and heated wipers would be nice.

I never spent over 40k on a car before - that was on my 05 Lexus RX330. I have no regrets.

I didn't think I'd really care for autopilot, but wanted it for what it might become. But so far, that's one of the coolest features...in stop and go traffic coming back from Fremont I went 20 minutes without having to 'do' anything. Watched it VERY closely, though - don't know if I will ever fully trust it, but it is very cool!

I picked up the wall connector and the wiring at home can handle it, but have just been charging on a 110 overnight as my electrician buddy is out of town til next week - not enough to keep up with usage. My dryer plug is on the 2nd floor, so no 220 plug in the garage already. But it's no big deal, I've gone a couple times late at night or first thing in the morning to the supercharger to 'fill up' the rest of the way. Took a little time, but it was more time I got to spend with my new toy!

Everywhere I go I get comments - people like the red, but are blown away by the white seats and the falcon wing doors. Which have worked flawlessly so far!

My only gripe is that in my garage I think a signal bounces weird, as the driver's door will open and close continuously if I have the key anywhere near it. Even if I stand still, it will open, then close. It works great out in the open, it's only an issue in the garage. I may see if I can figure out how to disable that feature ONLY when I am at home, it's really convenient everywhere else.

So...more than double (almost triple!) what I've ever spent on a car before. I have no regrets, and would absolutely do it again!

But in regards to a key fob cover/case specifically for the X...any suggestions?

Dan

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. I got the new box with the two fobs, and the keychain that attaches to the fob directly. I added one of the fobs to my keychain that I use daily with my office keys, other car keys, etc...just worried about how it will hold up long term in my pocket with all that metal bagging around.

I may stop by the local store and at least pick up one of the 'sleeves' if they have them. I wish they had them in white to match my interior. Or red to match the outside...I guess black will do :)

So far the only thing I 'might' have ordered different if I was doing it again would be to go with the six seat configuration instead of 7. That middle 2nd row seat REALLY blocks the rear view visibility. And I'm 6'4". When backing up I have to use the side mirrors and camera, that works. But when driving forward I like to be aware of traffic behind me, and visibility is lousy out the back. Not helped by the fixed spoiler, either...but that is cool, wouldn't give that up!

Dan

Reactions: omega731
I picked up my X on Tuesday! I'll give my initial impressions below, but first, the point of this post:

I understand the key fob for the X is slightly different than the S. I want to get some kind of case or holder to protect it - but I've searched all over online and can only find a case or holder for the S. Are they close enough that a holder for the S key fob will work? I have work keys and other car keys, and having them all in my pocket will likely damage the key fob over time if I don't protect it.

Now...for those who are interested, my initial thoughts.

WOW! I live in Sacramento, but wants to do the factory tour so opted for factory pickup. A colleague from work drove me down and joined me on the tour. The tour was very cool - I wasn't as 'wowed' by the factory as I thought I would be, but I guess I was expecting too much. Still amazing...

But driving the car...I test drove an S a few times, but had never driven the X. I got to sit in one a few weeks ago in the showroom but it wasn't available for a test drive. So my first experience driving the X was on my own!

My vin # is 64xx. I got. 09D, 7 seat, red, white seats, premium upgrade, standard wheels, standard sound, autopilot, and carbon fiber - black headline. Also the tow package and high amp charger. The red with white and carbon fiber I absolutely love! I don't know that I'll ever use the tow package, but it wasn't that much more. Oh, and I got the cold weather package...not really needed in Sacramento but I might go to Tahoe once or twice per year, and heated wipers would be nice.

I never spent over 40k on a car before - that was on my 05 Lexus RX330. I have no regrets.

I didn't think I'd really care for autopilot, but wanted it for what it might become. But so far, that's one of the coolest features...in stop and go traffic coming back from Fremont I went 20 minutes without having to 'do' anything. Watched it VERY closely, though - don't know if I will ever fully trust it, but it is very cool!

I picked up the wall connector and the wiring at home can handle it, but have just been charging on a 110 overnight as my electrician buddy is out of town til next week - not enough to keep up with usage. My dryer plug is on the 2nd floor, so no 220 plug in the garage already. But it's no big deal, I've gone a couple times late at night or first thing in the morning to the supercharger to 'fill up' the rest of the way. Took a little time, but it was more time I got to spend with my new toy!

Everywhere I go I get comments - people like the red, but are blown away by the white seats and the falcon wing doors. Which have worked flawlessly so far!

My only gripe is that in my garage I think a signal bounces weird, as the driver's door will open and close continuously if I have the key anywhere near it. Even if I stand still, it will open, then close. It works great out in the open, it's only an issue in the garage. I may see if I can figure out how to disable that feature ONLY when I am at home, it's really convenient everywhere else.

So...more than double (almost triple!) what I've ever spent on a car before. I have no regrets, and would absolutely do it again!

But in regards to a key fob cover/case specifically for the X...any suggestions?

Dan
I asked my DS if the S fob cover would work on the X fob. He went ahead and tried them out and said it is snug but it works. He also went ahead and mailed me a pair of them (S fob covers) to my home!

I bought two of these; Silicone FobPockets - The Colors One for me and one for the wife. They're perfect!
Awesome. We're close on the Model X versions too. The button alignment is a little different (plus there's the functional 'windows' for the FWDs, so we're just waiting for what we hope are the final production candidates before pulling the trigger. We'll post to TMC when they're ready, of course. Below is the ost recent prototype, everything is good, aside from the buttons that need to be better aligned.

prototype v4.x topview_500px.png

Awesome. We're close on the Model X versions too. The button alignment is a little different (plus there's the functional 'windows' for the FWDs, so we're just waiting for what we hope are the final production candidates before pulling the trigger. We'll post to TMC when they're ready, of course. Below is the ost recent prototype, everything is good, aside from the buttons that need to be better aligned.

View attachment 181343
I look forward to the version specifically for the X. I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017OU8F96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and while it does fit, it's not exact. I also don't really like the part that sticks out with a spot to attach a keychain as I already attached the keychain to the key directly.

Yeah...not a huge fan of those, mostly because they stole part of our design and product text, but still, it happens, I guess. This is a view of the keyring-end of the X design, it assumes you'd use the stringy keyring, so the case is less bulky. The 'key' you can see is just a mold, I didn't have an X key at the time. The leather versions will have options for with and without the string keyring.

prototype v3.x keyring.png

Reactions: Hoffa and Roentgen
Yeah...not a huge fan of those, mostly because they stole part of our design and product text, but still, it happens, I guess. This is a view of the keyring-end of the X design, it assumes you'd use the stringy keyring, so the case is less bulky. The 'key' you can see is just a mold, I didn't have an X key at the time. The leather versions will have options for with and without the string keyring.

View attachment 181349
Very nice. I look forward to getting one when they are available....definitely let me know when they are available.

View attachment 181343
I'm looking forward to getting 2 the moment they are available. Can't wait!

Nothing concrete. Still hoping to have something for sale in July. July the 42nd maybe, but July for sure :)

I'm expecting the final silicone production candidate this week, but don't yet have shipping info. If they're good, then there's a 2-3 week turnaround for the first batch.

The leather options are also close, buy my main contact just quit, so I'm starting over with a new guy (same place though).

As soon as I can be somewhat definitive with dates, I'll open up ordering online.