Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob...no trick pony?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
After replacing the battery in the wife's Model 3 fob, none of the buttons work.

The fob will lock/unlock the car by touching the B pillar and start the car by placing it on the console...just like the key card. But nothing else.

Double pressing the frunk or boot "buttons" have no effect. Same nothingburger result with the central button.

Any ideas aside from spending £170 for a new one?

The things that are working are the things that work without power, when did it last work ?

I killed a keyfob by dunking it in the sea, they aren't waterproof. It still opened the car as you describe.

Reactions: M3noob
After replacing the battery in the wife's Model 3 fob, none of the buttons work.

The fob will lock/unlock the car by touching the B pillar and start the car by placing it on the console...just like the key card. But nothing else.

Double pressing the frunk or boot "buttons" have no effect. Same nothingburger result with the central button.

Any ideas aside from spending £170 for a new one?
There’s a new trend with button batteries for them the have shrink wrap coverings and stickers on them to help prevent injury if they’re swallowed. A relative had a similar problem when changing their car key fob battery and they eventually found a small sticker on the underside which was preventing electrical contact. Your fob will work on the pillar etc without a battery as it also has an rfid in it. So either your battery is a dud, or isn’t making contact with the pins.

Start with another battery from a reputable source with expiry date. I've bought cheapo battery cards from the likes of ebay before and either found they expired before I got around to using them all or were close to failure on arrival.
This. I've done the same. False economy buying a cheap pack which most are duds when you receive them and almost all are by the time you get round to using the rest.
Try a Duracell. A bit more pricey but you can be sure it will work so will tell you if it's your fob that's at fault or not.