Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my X for two months. So one if my key fobs stopped working this morning with no warning on the dash yesterday. I followed the instructions but could not get the car to do the handshake. Fortunately my other fob works. Book instructions:
Unlocking When the Key Doesn't Work
To unlock Model X (and disable the security alarm), rst position the key at the base of the door pillar between the front door and the falcon wing door, on the driver's side of the vehicle, as shown. Then press the front driver's door handle. If Model X doesn't unlock, try adjusting the position of the key. The key must be in the correct position.

Any suggestions? I think the fob may be bad because I cannot unlock the car. I plan to bring it into service but thought I would ask for comments. My concern is if this happens and I do not have another fob available, I have to get a tow!

I have had my X for two months. So one if my key fobs stopped working this morning with no warning on the dash yesterday. I followed the instructions but could not get the car to do the handshake. Fortunately my other fob works. Book instructions:
Unlocking When the Key Doesn't Work
To unlock Model X (and disable the security alarm), rst position the key at the base of the door pillar between the front door and the falcon wing door, on the driver's side of the vehicle, as shown. Then press the front driver's door handle. If Model X doesn't unlock, try adjusting the position of the key. The key must be in the correct position.

Any suggestions? I think the fob may be bad because I cannot unlock the car. I plan to bring it into service but thought I would ask for comments. My concern is if this happens and I do not have another fob available, I have to get a tow!
Use the App to unlock and start the car. The place where you put the fob only works if there is some energy left in the battery, not if the battery is completely dead. It's not a bad idea to purchase a couple of extra batteries, they are commonly available.

Use the App to unlock and start the car. The place where you put the fob only works if there is some energy left in the battery, not if the battery is completely dead. It's not a bad idea to purchase a couple of extra batteries, they are commonly available.

Just as a quick note: the Model X fob batteries are different and aren't so commonly available. They're CR2354 - roughly the same diameter as a Model S CR2032, but look like a mushroom because they have a taller "stump". You can order them from Amazon; unlike CR2032's you won't find 2354's in the battery rack at most stores.

Early firmware didn't allow the fob receiver in the car to "sleep" and as a result it quickly sucked the life out of the fob battery (ours happened within 2 weeks of getting the Model X). New firmware changed that and battery life should be longer - they believe on par w/ Model S.

Are you leaving the Fob in the car when parked in your garage at night? Our fob quit unexpectedly too but learned from SC that it was because we were leaving the fob in the car when parked in our garage. Fob uses Bluetooth and keeps communicating with the car when it's left inside the parked car -- that runs down the battery.

Service center replaced the battery and it worked again. They said the are now putting in some type of spacer to keep the contact level and have found the battery lasts longer. I keep the fobs way away from the car, minimum of 30-40 feet and outside of the garage. They said that using the fob to show off the features of the car so often also would have shortened the life. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've owned cars with FOBs for YEARS! I've never once not ever never at all never ever had a battery die in a FOB. How can so many batteries be dead in FOBs on a car that's < 6 months old??? Did they put all the batteries in the FOBs back in 2012 when people put down their deposits and they've been sitting in a humid warehouse for 4 years? This dead battery FOB issue is weird to me.

I've owned cars with FOBs for YEARS! I've never once not ever never at all never ever had a battery die in a FOB. How can so many batteries be dead in FOBs on a car that's < 6 months old??? Did they put all the batteries in the FOBs back in 2012 when people put down their deposits and they've been sitting in a humid warehouse for 4 years? This dead battery FOB issue is weird to me.
On the early cars there was a rumor the fobs were constantly polling the cars and vice versa. That was supposed to be fixed in a software update.

This is because the technology used in other manufacturers' fobs is much different. These fobs use bluetooth and actively communicate when in range. In addition, the first software releases for Model X did not put the fob receivers to sleep, and always maintained communications with the key when it was near. This had the effect of running the battery down quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: loganintx
This is because the technology used in other manufacturers' fobs is much different. These fobs use bluetooth and actively communicate when in range. In addition, the first software releases for Model X did not put the fob receivers to sleep, and always maintained communications with the key when it was near. This had the effect of running the battery down quickly.
Maybe there needs to be miniature superchargers next to the full size superchargers for us to plug in our key FOBs ;) They are the same shape as the vehicles after all, they should get recharged in the same manner.

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Maybe there needs to be miniature superchargers next to the full size superchargers for us to plug in our key FOBs ;) They are the same shape as the vehicles after all, they should get recharged in the same manner.

I've seen what my boys can do to the average Apple Lightning connector. I fear the fragility of a properly-scaled supercharger connector on the keyfob. :)