Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob opinions

What options do you like the most? (Select all the options you like)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all, I’m trying to decide whether or not to buy the key fob for the Y. How do you like yours and would you buy it again if you had the choice? For people who just use there phones, how effective are they as long as they aren’t dead? Thanks!

I, of course, thought about the fob. Then I realized it made zero sense to get. My phone works 99% of the time, and since July, it's not worked twice. In that case, I had the key card. If I lose it, it's an easy replacement, and I have a spare at home. I wouldn't want something else bulky to carry.

Benefit of KEY FOB is that you can open the FRUNK or TRUNK without the hassle of digging for the card or crawling inside.
Personal taste, experience and convenience. How much is the KEY FOB?

I got the fob for my kids to use. I didn’t want them to have the app.

I thought about getting one for the kids or other guests.

But I don't expect the kids to drive it. One is local, one is about ~60mi. The youngest is in Denver so she flies in and uses one of our cars (usually her mother's) but I expect if she were visiting I'd either give her a key card or i would have her install the app. If I worried about her losing her phone or something I'd just delete the key when she went home. I was going to link a phone I use for my volunteer work but the app won't install on that as it's a couple years old. If I upgrade that, I'll probably link that one and use it as the 'guest' key.

When they piss me off, it’s very satisfying to take the “keys” away from them. It doesn’t have that same effect when they can whip out their phones

I don't know. Seems like the surprise they get when they find the car has been unlinked from their phone could be reasonably satisfying. But yeah, not in that situation. Launched the entire brood years ago. They're on their own now. I did let the youngest drive my '93 ZX convertible once or twice when she was in high school or maybe early college. Don't think the other two ever did.