Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Killed it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have posted about battery life and charging before - but now I have real information. At 182,738 miles, I finally killed my battery. I expected this was coming sometime, but did not know when. Tesla did a nice job of arranging a tow, and getting me a loaner vehicle - but it was fairly expensive. That's ok, I have free unlimited charging, and my warranty was still good for another 2 months. The battery death was sudden. I drove the car about 100 miles that morning, worked at a remote site, and as I was walking to the car to go home, I got the notification from the car that there was a problem. Just FYI here - when this happens it happens suddenly.

Reactions: byeLT4
I lost one HV pack in one of my cars and can echo that it happens sudden and w/o warning typically. The only indication that I had that it _might_ be unhealthy was that it was slightly more degradation than what appears to be customary. Even that though wasn't a true indication at all as I've had other cars with around the same % of degradation that never had an issue.

When mine failed, it was working perfectly fine otherwise. Took some friends for a "spirited" ride and then, after hours hanging out at their house afterwards, came out to find a screen full of errors and it was dead. Luckily one of our friends that lives near us was leaving too so he just gave us a lift home otherwise it would have been a spendy Uber bill since we live about 45min away.

The next day a flatbed loaded it up, took it to the dealership and within a few hours we had the diagnosis: failed HV battery. Estimate for the warranty replacement was two weeks to replacement and a week later we had our car back with more range than when it went it. The range on it indicates that they may have swapped that 90kWh pack with a used/refurb 100kWh as it was some 17 miles more than even the new EPA on this car with a 90kWh pack.

I have posted about battery life and charging before - but now I have real information. At 182,738 miles, I finally killed my battery. I expected this was coming sometime, but did not know when. Tesla did a nice job of arranging a tow, and getting me a loaner vehicle - but it was fairly expensive. That's ok, I have free unlimited charging, and my warranty was still good for another 2 months. The battery death was sudden. I drove the car about 100 miles that morning, worked at a remote site, and as I was walking to the car to go home, I got the notification from the car that there was a problem. Just FYI here - when this happens it happens suddenly.
What notification errors were shown?

Did they not cover the tow? When under warranty, and the failure is a warranty item like battery or drive unit, Tesla covers the tow.