Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kinda disappointed that I have 5.5% degradation after 18k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
although 5.5% is in the normal range, it's clearly in the bottom category.
Mine is 11 months old with about 21K miles and down to 312 from 335. I just returned from a two thousand mile trip and had a number of below 10% to over 95% charges. This resulted in further range loss from 316 down to 312 according to Stats and TeslaFi.

That being said, I have done this particular drive a lot and there are some legs (Austin to Sweetwater) that the route planner won't let you do without a bevy of warnings, but none-the-less in practice I have always made it and never needed to adjust speed to below posted limits. Despite the reported range loss from TeslaFi and Stats, I continue to arrive in Sweetwater with the same available range as always, then on to Amarillo with similar results. And on and on, so I am not sure what to think. In actual practice I see little real world difference on the long haul trips. Certainly nothing I would complain about if I were blissfully unaware of these stats as I was in an ICE car. I am not saying I don't care but I try to put in to perspective that the range calculations are really just estimates and not always correct.

Mine is 11 months old with about 21K miles and down to 312 from 335. I just returned from a two thousand mile trip and had a number of below 10% to over 95% charges. This resulted in further range loss from 316 down to 312 according to Stats and TeslaFi.

That being said, I have done this particular drive a lot and there are some legs (Austin to Sweetwater) that the route planner won't let you do without a bevy of warnings, but none-the-less in practice I have always made it and never needed to adjust speed to below posted limits. Despite the reported range loss from TeslaFi and Stats, I continue to arrive in Sweetwater with the same available range as always, then on to Amarillo with similar results. And on and on, so I am not sure what to think. In actual practice I see little real world difference on the long haul trips. Certainly nothing I would complain about if I were blissfully unaware of these stats as I was in an ICE car. I am not saying I don't care but I try to put in to perspective that the range calculations are really just estimates and not always correct.

Interesting. 6.8% sounds high, but well within the data scatter.

I'd be curious to know what your current capacity is, if Stats tells you. I think new usable was 98kwh on the new cars.

Unlike older cars, you have 30% more range and charge a lot faster, plus a degradation clause in your warranty. Even with a degraded HV pack, you probably can go faster x country than I could.

Interesting. 6.8% sounds high, but well within the data scatter.

I'd be curious to know what your current capacity is, if Stats tells you. I think new usable was 98kwh on the new cars.

Unlike older cars, you have 30% more range and charge a lot faster, plus a degradation clause in your warranty. Even with a degraded HV pack, you probably can go faster x country than I could.
Well none-the-less after seeing it shoot up and dive down again I put in a service request and got an appointment, then a text that they are investigating the request and keeping the appointment scheduled but watch for updates.

There is some odd behavior (maybe) in that it takes over an hour to charge from 95% to 100% and then as soon as I drive it drops to 99% then quickly to 95% in less than ten miles. At 95% everything seems normal again.

Well none-the-less after seeing it shoot up and dive down again I put in a service request and got an appointment, then a text that they are investigating the request and keeping the appointment scheduled but watch for updates.

There is some odd behavior (maybe) in that it takes over an hour to charge from 95% to 100% and then as soon as I drive it drops to 99% then quickly to 95% in less than ten miles. At 95% everything seems normal again.

The later updates not only dramatically slow down charging speed, but also run the pumps and fans at 100%. This, plus lack of regen above 95%, make the first 5% go pretty quick.

It seems there is no reason to ever go above 95%, except in emergency, when you absolutely cannot make the next charger otherwise.

Among other things, it has been shown charging to a high SoC dramatically slows speed on x country trips.

Reactions: SilverString
Wow this thread has gotten off track. There’s an easy answer to original post. It is NORMAL. Many Statistical studies have shown batteries degrade about 5% in first 6-18 months and little thereafter. Google it.

View attachment 542370

It's not normal to have 5% degradation in 18K miles. Even according to your chart, 2.5% is about what would have been average for the first 18K miles. I had 1% after the first 50K miles and 3 years. I'm now at 5% after 114K miles and mine is smack in the middle of normal.

It's not normal to have 5% degradation in 18K miles. Even according to your chart, 2.5% is about what would have been average for the first 18K miles. I had 1% after the first 50K miles and 3 years. I'm now at 5% after 114K miles and mine is smack in the middle of normal.
Wrong. It is not only about mileage but time. Unfortunately, most of the charts use mileage as axis, which is a poor proxy for time.

I’ve had 3 Tesla’s, all of which have lost approximately 5% over first 9 months and very very little thereafter. Even though first year mileage ranged between 4K and 12k.

I really don’t know why this is even a debate. There’s a ton of well documented evidence that there’s significant loss in first year and little after. If OP had loss of 4.5% would you call that normal? So people are freaking out over ~1%, or less than 5 miles? Which is margin of error for calibration?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I think the long term health of the batteries is a concern for all of us.

I agree there is not much data about lifetime.

I does not help that Tesla is doing things on many levels that are less than transparent.

Because of this and Tesla mgmt actions in the last 2 years, I probably will not buy another car from them.

Thanks for the additional 3 data points.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
The later updates not only dramatically slow down charging speed, but also run the pumps and fans at 100%. This, plus lack of regen above 95%, make the first 5% go pretty quick.

It seems there is no reason to ever go above 95%, except in emergency, when you absolutely cannot make the next charger otherwise.

Among other things, it has been shown charging to a high SoC dramatically slows speed on x country trips.
I agree. Looking at my recent trip I could have charged to 95% and arrived at all stop/charge points without issue or slowdown warnings. I would have cut an hour or so off drive time too.

As the title states, I’m disappointed that after 18k miles, my car already has 5.5 % degradation. When it was new, charging to 70% was 220 or 221 miles (about 315 at 100 %)

Now I’m only getting 209 miles which would give me about 298 miles at 100%. Thought I was taking good care of the battery, charge every night to 70 %, use super chargers infrequently and rarely charge over 90%.

From what I’ve read, I’m in the range of what is to be expected, but have more degradation than most? Charging habits don’t really predict degradation well anyway??
For what it's worth, my nineteen month old (September 2018) Model 3 has 20,964 miles on it and is now projecting 100% range of 275 miles or a loss of 11%. Here's the graph from the Stats app:

stats-battery-health.jpg

Note that the rated range at 100% has varied up and down continually. I haven't had the opportunity to let it see a wider range of voltages lately (discharging down fairly far on a trip before recharging fully) since we've been in the shelter-at-home situation.

I have also treated my Model 3 well, typically charging to 80%, never leaving it near 100% for long nor at a low state of charge, and supercharging only on road trips as needed (most typically for the 260-mile, mountainous trip between here and Tahoe).

Is this normal/acceptable? I don't know. At some point I'll schedule a service visit about it – but it seems everyone is usually told that such loss of range is normal. For what it's worth, my girlfriend's Model 3 of the same age has much less apparent degradation. [I'll update here with the statistic. I can't right now as she's on her phone.]