Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Known working voice commands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon is quoted saying that many more voice commands are coming?

EVoice.png

[img]

My voice command has stopped working entirely. It seems to recognize and type out the words I say, but nothing happens and it just says "try again" any way to reboot it, or is there some issue? LTE seems good, the car is still on 18.13
Some recent versions of firmware definitely have had issues. I was on 2018.14.2 for a long time, and it would NEVER recognize the voice command the first time, and there were times it didn't work at all.

Speaking loudly and clearly, and directing your voice toward the microphone in the rearview mirror helps, but sometimes it just seems deaf. All seems better on 2018.21.9.

My voice command has stopped working entirely. It seems to recognize and types out the words I say, but nothing happens and it just says "try again"

I have only seen this happen when the command I am speaking is not a recognized command. Try "Navigate Home", I was doing "Directions to Home" and it failed to recognize the command and said "try again"

-Randy

So, it seems to recognize things, the text it is displaying on the screen is exactly what I am saying. I say "navigate to san francisco" and it displays that text, but it doesn't do anything and just says try again and shows the curved arrow.

Is there a reset?

Just curious, but are there any safeguards preventing the use of (loud) voice commands from outside the vehicle? "Unlock", for example? Who needs a crowbar if a thief can simply command the car from without. Or is all voice input disabled if the car is locked, regardless if the butt-in-seat switch knows the car is occupied?

Thinking both safety and security here...

Just curious, but are there any safeguards preventing the use of (loud) voice commands from outside the vehicle? "Unlock", for example? Who needs a crowbar if a thief can simply command the car from without. Or is all voice input disabled if the car is locked, regardless if the butt-in-seat switch knows the car is occupied?

Thinking both safety and security here...
You can shout commands until the cows come home, unless you press the right nipple button on the steering wheel first, nothing is going to happen.

I've only used voice to play music - but I've to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it can recognize my voice/accent and translate to text. I'm talking about fairly difficult to pronounce south Asian names. Amazon Alexa, Google, Siri, Microsoft all struggle with these names.

I've only used voice to play music - but I've to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it can recognize my voice/accent and translate to text. I'm talking about fairly difficult to pronounce south Asian names. Amazon Alexa, Google, Siri, Microsoft all struggle with these names.

Interesting since they use the Google service for the voice recognition..

• Informative
Reactions: Devanish

Yeah it's not bad, though I have managed to throw it off. "Play RFI Español", sometimes works, but sometimes I get "RFI Spagnol"

If you were the one in the driver's seat, in fear for your life, I doubt you would have the presence of mind to try to yell at the car to lock them again. And it would probably be too late, as the car would already be unlocked and the attacker in.

This is not an issue right now (per MP3Mike), but I dearly hope Tesla thinks this voice command thing through before flying headlong into the future with it. Corner case, yes. But I wouldn't want my daughter to end up on evening news because of it. IMHO Tesla already messed up with the lack of a per-instance door unlock (all doors vs just the driver's), giving an opportunity for someone crouching low on the passenger side to get in when the doors are unlocked. This is serious stuff. We're not in a video game or sitcom.

If you were the one in the driver's seat, in fear for your life, I doubt you would have the presence of mind to try to yell at the car to lock them again. And it would probably be too late, as the car would already be unlocked and the attacker in.

This is not an issue right now (per MP3Mike), but I dearly hope Tesla thinks this voice command thing through before flying headlong into the future with it. Corner case, yes. But I wouldn't want my daughter to end up on evening news because of it. IMHO Tesla already messed up with the lack of a per-instance door unlock (all doors vs just the driver's), giving an opportunity for someone crouching low on the passenger side to get in when the doors are unlocked. This is serious stuff. We're not in a video game or sitcom.
Sorry, not serious at all. It’s not even a corner case.
It relies on a hostile assailant screaming commands loud enough to be heard inside the car, at the right time after you press the voice button. Then they have to yell the none existent command louder than the person in the car.
If the fictional hostile assailant is able to add the extra command, yell it loud enough etc they would still find it much easier to just break the glass and grab you.
Of course you could also just drive away.