Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koni - Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) and Sports (Yellow) - Coming Soon for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I switched from:

2021 Model 3 Performance > 2022 Long Range > Koni Special Active (Suspension)

View attachment 1017170

20” Uberturbine with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S > 18” Aero V2 with Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Wheel/Tire)

View attachment 1017173

Results: Compression is slightly softer (~20%) while rebound is much faster (~50%) with significantly less body roll. Each wheel feels more balanced.

They’re currently being used with stock long range AWD springs. I would say for those hoping to get a comfortable ride to look elsewhere. Even with my abnormally over-dampened and mismatched stock shock absorbers these are only a mild-moderate improvement in ride quality/comfort despite being at stock ride height with more suspension traveling distance. If I had used 10mm lower performance springs I reckon it will be even less comfortable and require trimming the rubber stop.

Although it can be a great daily driver, the variability in comfort annoys me. Although it definitely reacts faster than stock, those with a keen eye will notice some sluggishness in the delayed onset of how the gas valves opens and closes and hence for very spirited driving or track use these will have you wanting more.

Based on my experience these won’t do comfort justice as compared to Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Coilovers or Unplugged Performance Luxury Coil-overs. Those aforementioned will provide better overall dampening. These depend more road conditions and how the frequencies are picked up. Some road imperfections will do well while others will have you guessing because It’s not always congruent.

The FSD technology may be more comfortable on the 2024 Model 3 Refresh which has improvements in geometric mounting points and softer rubber bushings, but if one had hopes of having uninterrupted conversations with the family over long trips or to Uber/Lyft part time I advise looking elsewhere unless softer springs are used. Even then its a wonder whether the two being used in conjunction can be considered comfortable. I believe the stocks are 10-12K spring rates. As for tire pressure I tried riding at 42 PSI which was too firm while 40 PSI seems to fair slightly better without affecting how the valves work.

Does anyone know where I can find softer springs to pair with the Koni’s that isn’t used in an already made coilover setup like those aforementioned?

Today I’m going to try retorquing the front strut (78.2 ft-lb) and rear shock (84.8 ft-lb) on ramps instead of jacking one side at a time to see whether that helps additionally for ride comfort otherwise getting softer springs are the only way I can see myself potentially keeping these long term.

In conclusion these may work better for others while for me on Los Angeles roads it’s a no-go. Perhaps I have a terrible stiff chassis and your milage may vary. My car has 50k miles on it with new front lower control arms. All suspension parts excluding sway bar end link and upper control arm to knuckle was torqued at ride height.

Are there any cons to using blue threadlocker on control arm bolt/nuts that mate with the knuckle via 22mm nut?

Last I checked these joints are not suppose to pivot however I do recall threadlocker has the ability to obscure torque readings so maybe this is where the extra firmness could be coming from?
Just to clarify, for install, you would recommend cutting the bump stops in half?

Looks like they are coming out with a "Koni+" version now also. I'm not very good at German, but it's my understanding that it's the Koni special active "reifen reber" edition damper with some new Koni springs (OEM hight ), made in cooperation with koni. Somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong ?

• Helpful
Reactions: LightSaber
@Silverline Good looking out

Looks like the Reber Edition with slightly softer springs (like grand touring) and more turning to the dampener to harmonize them. If we can get 8-10 people for a group buy, we may be able to reduce some fees.

It doesn’t have to be one person being the head of the purchase. All coming from America and paying separately to create a pool should be enough. I’m going to reach out to them this week for price estimates. Like @tom @ eas says, If it’s still too high the money is probably better going towards comfort coilovers or a partial air suspension payment.

Reactions: Silverline
Looks like they are coming out with a "Koni+" version now also. I'm not very good a German, but it's my understanding that it's the Koni special active "reifer reven" edition damper with Koni springs (OEM hight ) somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong
@Silverline Good looking out

Looks like the Reber Edition with slightly softer springs (like grand touring) and more turning to the dampener to harmonize them. If we can get 8-10 people for a group buy, we may be able to reduce some fees.

It doesn’t have to be one person being the head of the purchase. All coming from America and paying separately to create a pool should be enough. I’m going to reach out to them this week for price estimates. Like @tom @ eas says, If it’s still too high the money is probably better going towards comfort coilovers or a partial air suspension payment.
Like your effort...

I'm from EU tough... So I could buy from them. But I think the price is a little to high vs. "Stock" Koni.... I wonder why Koni is not just selling them if they are so much better?

Reactions: LightSaber
Because it’s a small niche and they could value the handling more. If it gets popular enough theres a chance they could come out with variants that HAS to defer from Reber. It can’t be the same otherwise it would be intrusive on Reber’s earnings and the ‘bespoke’ customization they put efforts in.
I’d be willing to pay up to $1500 as I do like the FSD technology opposed to comfort-minded suspension acting more like a comfier blanket rather than patented valves working in real time. However if the prices reach $2000-2200 USD that’s hitting monotube territory like Unplugged Performance Luxury Pro Coilovers.

Sure one could say the installation is much simpler than having to use a digital caliper and flat head chisel with rubber mallet to set the ride height in addition to fine tuning the damper settings for personal preference, but thats up to the individual to decide. It definitely makes it harder or I guess easier to come to a decision when import fees are that high. On a side note at least the coilovers can be serviced so it’s a wonder whether these Koni+ variants come with a lifetime warranty like the ones provided with the standard. Food for thought..🫃🏻

Last edited:
Is there a big difference of cutting the bump stops? Do i need to cut them? (keeping stock performance springs)
European SUV’s and stuff have 7-8” of travel for the rod to retract to suppress road noise. The Tesla has like 5”. There’s very little ‘free’ undistorted space before contact also the stop is non-linear so you’ll feel it throw the car into a frenzy even with the lightest bumps.

Even with all stock, trim them.