Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Krusty's Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thecloud

As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive
Nov 24, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
On tonight's episode of The Simpsons (S30E08: Krusty the Clown), we learn that Krusty the Clown drives a red Model S.

It has a simplified interface which makes good use of the vertical 17" touchscreen. Autopilot mode has two large buttons, one of which is clearly for stopping, although it's not clear why two buttons are needed. The proximity sensor warning is huge and in your face on the center display, rather than just a small colored arc on the instrument panel.

Of course, this is The Simpsons, so he's trying to use the Tesla as a weapon. "Ah Tesla, your 900 lb-ft of silent instant torque is the perfect killing machine!"

Autopilot.png

Proximity Sensor.png

Being a long time SImpson's fan, I was very happy to see the Model S show up. I can excuse some of the inaccuracies of the interior citing "creative license". Heck, they do it with run-of-the-mill cars in TV and movie all the time. I was quite happy with the sound effects as well.

Telsa cameo starts around 2:30...

Well done Simpsons!

This isn't the first time Tesla had a mention on the show. Elon has been featured as a primary story line at least once and mentioned in passing (or his projects) several times.

Being a long time SImpson's fan, I was very happy to see the Model S show up. I can excuse some of the inaccuracies of the interior citing "creative license". Heck, they do it with run-of-the-mill cars in TV and movie all the time. I was quite happy with the sound effects as well.
Yes, the sound effects were all pretty accurate, from the acceleration whine to the imminent collision alert. I've read that Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart) owns a Tesla, and I wouldn't be surprised if others in the cast and production team do as well, so they're familiar with the sounds you'd expect a Tesla to make.

I purposely pointed out the two shots of the Tesla UI as imagined by the creators of The Simpsons, because it's interesting to think about how they redesigned it to convey those two functions as clearly as possible. The redesign uses huge elements that take up most of the screen. While we probably wouldn't want the UI to actually look like that, I think our current UI buttons can tend to be too small and hard to manipulate without taking your eyes completely off the road. It's food for thought.

Also impressive was how the Tesla hugged the curves of the winding mountain road perfectly while Krusty had it on Autopilot. ;)

Reactions: croman
The episodes between (and including) Season 3 and Season 9 are the best of the 30 seasons. From Season 10 onward, it is more inconsistent on quality.
The author of “Zombie Simpsons: How the Best Show Ever Became the Broadcasting Undead” agrees that the show lost its way in Season 9 and never recovered. But we're getting away from the topic a bit.