Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KW V3 coilovers for Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally received my KW V3 coilovers today
597FF282-CCA9-40AC-B3DF-881E97BA6507.jpeg

This part is not the same on the earlier model Y’s. The newer part seems like a cast aluminum part, the older part is made of welded, stamped, steel sheet metal. I remember because when looking at the suspension pieces I couldn’t believe how cheaply they went with the arm pieces. Circled for clarity.

Good on tesla for updating their parts.

Attachments

• D5725534-2785-44DC-AA48-DB3919B8FA2C.jpeg
    D5725534-2785-44DC-AA48-DB3919B8FA2C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • 96BE0432-8D37-4296-87E9-E2D944F8F4A7.jpeg
    96BE0432-8D37-4296-87E9-E2D944F8F4A7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
This part is not the same on the earlier model Y’s. The newer part seems like a cast aluminum part, the older part is made of welded, stamped, steel sheet metal. I remember because when looking at the suspension pieces I couldn’t believe how cheaply they went with the arm pieces. Circled for clarity.

Good on tesla for updating their parts.
I have a 3/21 MYP and have aluminum Upper Fore Links.

Haven't seen the earlier stamped set yet, but will note build date next time one comes through the doors.

Sure thing! mine is super early build, 018xxx, sometime in march - june of 2020. All the rear arms (toe, camber, and traction arms) are stamped, welded steel.
Steel or alu doesn't really matter as the material science behind it is more important than blindly choosing the material cuz ppl thinks its cool. If the material is too strong those forces will just get transferred to the hook up point, tearing it off when the car is curbed. Suspension links... a-arms even, you want them to break and tearaway, not be built like Fort Knox. Thus whatever Tesla deems necessary is what it is.

I'm pretty sure a big factor that Tesla went with the cast aluminum arm is that it's faster (and easier) to make than the stamped steel version, which has to be made in a few steps. Cutting a bunch of steel tubes, bending a sheet of steel into a U-shape, then holding three pieces while welding them together is a lot more labor intensive then pouring aluminum into a cast, letting it cool, dropping the piece out, then drilling holes at either end. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but I think that's the idea. As far as strength, they're all probably overbuilt enough to do what they do.

Reactions: whisperingshad