Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L2 Charger for Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick question. The Tesla mobile charger (in addition to what comes with your car) costs $275 and the Nema connector $35. So if you had to connect to a NEMA 14-50 outlet, what advantage did the Costco Charger ($430 - AxFAST 32Amp Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger) give you? Thanks in advance for your reply.
PS: I also see a $520 corded mobile connector. Is the choice for most to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet and connect this connector for home charging as option 1 and option 2 would be to install a $500 Tesla wall connector in the garage. If that is the case why do people prefer the NEMA 14-50 option? Thanks to anyone that responds. As a newbie getting ready for our first EV for a not so young person is very challenging to say the least.
Longer cord and the ability to charge any electric vehicle. My wife may get an Audi or something similar in the future.

A quick question. The Tesla mobile charger (in addition to what comes with your car) costs $275 and the Nema connector $35. So if you had to connect to a NEMA 14-50 outlet, what advantage did the Costco Charger ($430 - AxFAST 32Amp Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger) give you? Thanks in advance for your reply.
PS: I also see a $520 corded mobile connector. Is the choice for most to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet and connect this connector for home charging as option 1 and option 2 would be to install a $500 Tesla wall connector in the garage. If that is the case why do people prefer the NEMA 14-50 option? Thanks to anyone that responds. As a newbie getting ready for our first EV for a not so young person is very challenging to say the least.
The cost of the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector is currently $45 (the other adapters cost $35.)

Other Level 2 EVSE such as the Costco 32 amp unit may come with a longer, i.e. 24 to 25 ft long charging cord. (The Gen2 Mobile Connector charging cord is ~18.5 ft in length.) If you have more than one plug in vehicle and one is other than a Tesla vehicle you can charge both vehicles using the charger as all non-Tesla plug-in vehicles use the J1772 connector for Level 1 and Level 2 charging. (The Tesla vehicles comes with a Tesla SA J1772 adapter so you charge the Tesla using any Level 1 or Level 2 charging station.)

The Corded Mobile Connector has a fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug, enables charging at up to 40A. The Gen2 Mobile Connector is limited to 32A.

The NEMA 14-50 receptacle provides flexibility as you can unplug, replace the EVSE without requiring an electrician.

The Telsa Wall Connector is designed for hard wired installation on any circuit from 15A up to 60A. The Wall Connector is designed for use in all weather conditions (can get wet.) The latest Gen3 Wall Connector now comes with a 24 ft long charging cord.

When you break down the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 receptacle versus installing the Wall Connector the difference is less than ~$200. When you consider the longer charging cord the Gen2 Wall Connector is an even more attractive option.

For 2021 there is a federal tax credit that is available; the tax credit is 30% of the cost (including the equipment and installation) up to $1000.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The cost of the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector is currently $45 (the other adapters cost $35.)

Other Level 2 EVSE such as the Costco 32 amp unit may come with a longer, i.e. 24 to 25 ft long charging cord. (The Gen2 Mobile Connector charging cord is ~18.5 ft in length.) If you have more than one plug in vehicle and one is other than a Tesla vehicle you can charge both vehicles using the charger as all non-Tesla plug-in vehicles use the J1772 connector for Level 1 and Level 2 charging. (The Tesla vehicles comes with a Tesla SA J1772 adapter so you charge the Tesla using any Level 1 or Level 2 charging station.)

The Corded Mobile Connector has a fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug, enables charging at up to 40A. The Gen2 Mobile Connector is limited to 32A.

The NEMA 14-50 receptacle provides flexibility as you can unplug, replace the EVSE without requiring an electrician.

The Telsa Wall Connector is designed for hard wired installation on any circuit from 15A up to 60A. The Wall Connector is designed for use in all weather conditions (can get wet.) The latest Gen3 Wall Connector now comes with a 24 ft long charging cord.

When you break down the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 receptacle versus installing the Wall Connector the difference is less than ~$200. When you consider the longer charging cord the Gen2 Wall Connector is an even more attractive option.

For 2021 there is a federal tax credit that is available; the tax credit is 30% of the cost (including the equipment and installation) up to $1000.
Thanks for the detailed response. I called my local coop that supplies us electricity (WHE) and was told the federal tax credit is paid only if I sign up for a program through them, even if I bring my own charger. I would also need to install an additional meter at my cost. The worse part is I get charged 3 different rates in cents/KWH - 6 for night, 11 for day time and 28c for 5 PM to 10.00 PM. If I go for their plan I get the $500 rebate from the government and $500 rebate off Zefnet charger. If I don't go for the rebates, I install my own Tesla charger and NEMA 14-50 connection point. I anyway am able to get 8 cents night rate and 12 cents day and evening rate in my state. So going for their plan, having an extra monitoring meter or use their Zefnet charger does not make sense. A Zefnet charger would restrict my usage to only 11.00 PM to 7.00 AM at 6 cents/kwh but no usage at all outside those hours. Government money comes with lots of strings attached, or so it seems here. Anyway, I thought I would post what I learnt so far.

• Funny
Thanks for the detailed response. I called my local coop that supplies us electricity (WHE) and was told the federal tax credit is paid only if I sign up for a program through them, even if I bring my own charger. I would also need to install an additional meter at my cost. The worse part is I get charged 3 different rates in cents/KWH - 6 for night, 11 for day time and 28c for 5 PM to 10.00 PM. If I go for their plan I get the $500 rebate from the government and $500 rebate off Zefnet charger. If I don't go for the rebates, I install my own Tesla charger and NEMA 14-50 connection point. I anyway am able to get 8 cents night rate and 12 cents day and evening rate in my state. So going for their plan, having an extra monitoring meter or use their Zefnet charger does not make sense. A Zefnet charger would restrict my usage to only 11.00 PM to 7.00 AM at 6 cents/kwh but no usage at all outside those hours. Government money comes with lots of strings attached, or so it seems here. Anyway, I thought I would post what I learnt so far.
I am not familiar with the local coop rebate. You can read more about the federal tax credit here: About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Reactions: 45thParallel
Other Level 2 EVSE such as the Costco 32 amp unit may come with a longer, i.e. 24 to 25 ft long charging cord. (The Gen2 Mobile Connector charging cord is ~18.5 ft in length.)
Not any more. The 8.5 & 18 ft versions have been discontinued in favor of a 24' model.

Not any more. The 8.5 & 18 ft versions have been discontinued in favor of a 24' model.
The 24 foot charging cord currently only comes with the current version of the Gen3 Wall Connector. The Gen2 Mobile Connector is a different product; a Mobile Connector kit comes with every Tesla vehicle.

I decided to go with a Tesla Wall Connector. This used to cost $1500 and now it is $500 and Tesla is encouraging use of this Wall Connector. The possibility of me buying a non Tesla for our second car is pretty remote. When we sell (no plans), I will be happy to detach the WC, and put a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the wall for the new house buyer.

I decided to go with a Tesla Wall Connector. This used to cost $1500 and now it is $500 and Tesla is encouraging use of this Wall Connector. The possibility of me buying a non Tesla for our second car is pretty remote. When we sell (no plans), I will be happy to detach the WC, and put a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the wall for the new house buyer.
Just make sure whoever installs it uses three conductor plus ground wiring, even if its in conduit, its much easier to run the fourth conductor at the same time.

Thanks. I am going with an electrician recommended by Tesla for my area.
Right, but that's missing the point. You said you would replace it with a 14-50. If an electrician just runs the wire for a wall connector originally, that is a 240V only device and normally will not have a neutral wire run with it. Then it can't switch to a 14-50 outlet that does require one. So you will need to tell whatever electrician you use to ALSO include a neutral wire, even though it wouldn't normally be included for just a wall connector installation. Tesla electrician doesn't matter--this is just an extra consideration you need to let someone know about.

Right, but that's missing the point. You said you would replace it with a 14-50. If an electrician just runs the wire for a wall connector originally, that is a 240V only device and normally will not have a neutral wire run with it. Then it can't switch to a 14-50 outlet that does require one. So you will need to tell whatever electrician you use to ALSO include a neutral wire, even though it wouldn't normally be included for just a wall connector installation. Tesla electrician doesn't matter--this is just an extra consideration you need to let someone know about.
Got it.

Those are 2 different things, maybe I missed a part of the conversation or something. The federal tax credit has nothing to do with your utility company. It’s a form you fill out with the IRS that you can refund 30% (up to $1000) of your installation expenses for alternative fuel, including parts and labor. The $500 rebate from a utility is it’s own thing and usually requires you to in the same calendar year A. Purchase/lease a vehicle, B. install a certain type of charger (e.g. Homeflex), and C. Switch to a time of use plan. Maybe they get that money from the feds, but when people talk about federal tax credit for charging they’re referring to the IRS 8911 form. Just want to make sure you’re not shorting yourself on the 8911 money.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mrwug
Those are 2 different things, maybe I missed a part of the conversation or something. The federal tax credit has nothing to do with your utility company. It’s a form you fill out with the IRS that you can refund 30% (up to $1000) of your installation expenses for alternative fuel, including parts and labor. The $500 rebate from a utility is it’s own thing and usually requires you to in the same calendar year A. Purchase/lease a vehicle, B. install a certain type of charger (e.g. Homeflex), and C. Switch to a time of use plan. Maybe they get that money from the feds, but when people talk about federal tax credit for charging they’re referring to the IRS 8911 form. Just want to make sure you’re not shorting yourself on the 8911 money.
Thanks. I realized the discounted rate from the utility does not make sense if I can schedule my charging in off peak. The problem with the utility plan is that they penalize the use of EV charger during the day time to 3 times the peak rate. But give only 25% discounted off of the off-peak rate for night time charging.

PSEG has an EV portal where you can get lots of rebates for installing home chargers, but the Tesla wall charger isn’t on their list. ChargePoint is. Maybe when Tesla exposes the charger stats via Wi-Fi to electric companies that will apply. It sucks I didn’t know this BEFORE I installed the Tesla one.

Reactions: dogmodes