Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L2 charging,,, Car pulls more amps than the set amp limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night we got home and I plugged in the L2 charger and whilst unloading the groceries I noted that the EVSC faulted out. It seems that the car is requesting more current than the set amp limit in the car's charging menu. I have the car set to 15amps and it reports 16amps (16a at 235v) and if I set it to 16amps, it tries to get 17 and then the EVCS faults out.

I've never seen this happen before.

Never depend on the car to limit its draw. If you want to limit the draw, configure the EVSE such that it wont announce more power than is actually available. Do that either by configuring it if it is configurable, or using the correct adapter if its a tesla mobile connector (not turning the amps down in the car).

Last night we got home and I plugged in the L2 charger and whilst unloading the groceries I noted that the EVSC faulted out. It seems that the car is requesting more current than the set amp limit in the car's charging menu. I have the car set to 15amps and it reports 16amps (16a at 235v) and if I set it to 16amps, it tries to get 17 and then the EVCS faults out.

What was EVSE current limit? You can find the info in the Tesla charging status display.

Never depend on the car to limit its draw. If you want to limit the draw, configure the EVSE such that it wont announce more power than is actually available. Do that either by configuring it if it is configurable, or using the correct adapter if its a tesla mobile connector (not turning the amps down in the car).
Well, that's the thing. The EVSC does report a 16amp limit as it's designed for a NEMA 6-20 outlet and hitherto (3 months) the car was compliant.

Well, that's the thing. The EVSC does report a 16amp limit as it's designed for a NEMA 6-20 outlet and hitherto (3 months) the car was compliant.

Im not quite understanding what you are saying. Are you saying the EVSE is set properly for a 16amp circuit but you still need to configure the amps in the car for some reason (it doesnt say 16/16 when you are charging)?

What is the EVSE advertising? Dialing back the number of amps on the car should only be done to extend charging time (so that charging completes when you want it to instead of earlier). It should never, ever create a safety issue if the car is actually drawing the number of amps the EVSE advertises (which it can, any time, due to software bugs, etc.).

Reactions: Rocky_H
What is the EVSE advertising? Dialing back the number of amps on the car should only be done to extend charging time (so that charging completes when you want it to instead of earlier). It should never, ever create a safety issue if the car is actually drawing the number of amps the EVSE advertises (which it can, any time, due to software bugs, etc.).
What is happening is that the car is consistently drawing more current than the set limit via the Tesla app or via the car's charge menu. I get that the car shouldn't exceed the EVSE's signalled output, but it is doing that as well.

However there are circumstances that can arise, where the car should limit it's current draw to below the EVSE's limit, on a shared circuit for example, and when I tell the car to draw X number of amps, I expect it too comply.

Additionally, the car won't remember the charging limit set for our garage and it keeps defaulting to 32 amps.

Im not quite understanding what you are saying. Are you saying the EVSE is set properly for a 16amp circuit but you still need to configure the amps in the car for some reason (it doesnt say 16/16 when you are charging)?
Yes the car is not complying with the EVSE's limit (when it did for 3 months).

As a work around I set the car via the app (and in car charge menu) to 16 amps and it tries to pull 17 = EVSE fault. I set it to 15amps and it pulls 16, 14 pulls 15...

The car did the latest update Thursday at a different location than usual, and I wonder if that's the issue?

However there are circumstances that can arise, where the car should limit it's current draw to below the EVSE's limit, on a shared circuit for example, and when I tell the car to draw X number of amps, I expect it too comply.
Nope, there is no scenario where you're ever sharing a circuit and the two EVSEs are collectively advertising more current than the circuit is capable of supplying. That's against code and is a good scenario to start a fire. The EVSEs either need to communicate and reduce their collective advertised current, or you need to install a separate circuit.

• Love
Yes the car is not complying with the EVSE's limit (when it did for 3 months).

As a work around I set the car via the app (and in car charge menu) to 16 amps and it tries to pull 17 = EVSE fault. I set it to 15amps and it pulls 16, 14 pulls 15...

The car did the latest update Thursday at a different location than usual, and I wonder if that's the issue?
How are you verifying how much current the vehicle is pulling? I hope you're using a current meter, not the reading given by the vehicle (which could be a software bug).

Nope, there is no scenario where you're ever sharing a circuit and the two EVSEs are collectively advertising more current than the circuit is capable of supplying. That's against code and is a good scenario to start a fire. The EVSEs either need to communicate and reduce their collective advertised current, or you need to install a separate circuit.
Just for the record I'm using a dedicated 20amp 240v circuit and NEMA 6-20 outlet. However, every Tesla prior to April last year came with an Tesla mobile charger and a 120V NEMA 5-15 adapter. Obviously, there are occasions when the charger will be plugged into a 120v outlet on a shared circuit and the car's current limit can be reduced via the charging menu or Tesla app. When you set the current limit via the charging menu the car should comply.

How are you verifying how much current the vehicle is pulling? I hope you're using a current meter, not the reading given by the vehicle (which could be a software bug).
The EVSE reports the amps and volts that the car is requesting and receiving and it shows one amp higher than the car's amp limit as set in the charger menu, as does the car itself on the main display.

EDIT: I have to reduce the car's amp limit to 13 amps and then it matches the output as shown on the EVSE. Above 13 amps it consistently draws more power than the set limit. The car is now reporting: 13/16A 237v.

Now 13/16A 240V; I can live with this, as long as it's consistent.

Last edited:
Just for the record I'm using a dedicated 20amp 240v circuit and NEMA 6-20 outlet. However, every Tesla prior to April last year came with an Tesla mobile charger and a 120V NEMA 5-15 adapter. Obviously, there are occasions when the charger will be plugged into a 120v outlet on a shared circuit and the car's current limit can be reduced via the charging menu or Tesla app. When you set the current limit via the charging menu the car should comply.
Yes, it should. The car should also not do a lot of things that it ends up doing because of Tesla's software bugs too (i.e. the charge port shouldn't slam shut immediately after you remove the connector, the playlist should come up when you connect a phone with Bluetooth, the trunk shouldn't have trouble opening and closing, etc.), but a software bug should never cause a fire because the current limits should be enforced by the hardware.
The EVSE reports the amps and volts that the car is requesting and receiving and it shows one amp higher than the car's amp limit as set in the charger menu, as does the car itself on the main display.

EDIT: I have to reduce the car's amp limit to 13 amps and then it matches the output as shown on the EVSE. Above 13 amps it consistently draws more power than the set limit. The car is now reporting: 13/16A 237v.

Now 13/16A 240V; I can live with this, as long as it's consistent.
Did this just start happening? If so, I'd submit a bug report to Tesla.

Reactions: DuncanM
I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and offer up that I’d suspect problems with the cheap Chinese EVSE before the car.
Although:
Could the EVSE be advertising the wrong circuit capacity? OP should try a different EVSE and see what happens. Additionally, get a clamp current meter and use it to measure the actual amount of current in the circuit (may have to open up the panel to get to the wiring easily).

If the EVSE is 16A (on a 20A continuous circuit) and is in fact advertising 17A, then OP should get rid of that EVSE because it's a big safety issue.