Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of 360 degree camera (birds eye view)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the future Mobileye systems will have 8 cameras around the vehicle, these will already be integrated to be analyzed by the EyeQ3 chips. So, everything you mentioned is already there (and will be standard).

First, it is unclear what the next Autopilot system would be like and how much of that is from Mobileye. (Tesla insisted that Mobileye was just one component of its current autopilot system which was developed in-house at Tesla.)
Second, camera used for autopilot is not the same as those for surround view. For example, side cameras for autopilot would surely point at the side of the car; OTOH, side camera for surround view points at the ground.

Even now, the front cameras for collision detection, pedestrian detection, lane detection etc CANNOT be used for surround view.

So I would disagree that the hardware for surround view "is already there". No, I believe you would need dedicated cameras and hardware for side and front part of the surround view.

This is the one feature I wish our X had.

The X should have true 360 view that includes overhead space.

I guess that Tesla did not go for birds eye view for few reasons - cars have ultrasonic sensors and Tesla figured they are good enough, birds eye view would be me-too feature and that's not what leaders do plus it's probably not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: zenmaster
That doesn't mean that this isn't patented.
The top down system IS patented by Nissan with 20 claims. The method they used for joining the video taken by the wide angle cameras is not. There are other, more specific patents for image stitching multiple camera views that involve pixel averaging in a certain manner, for example, but Nissan does not hold one.
Every single one of Vitold's patents which were claimed to be for this top down view system are in fact for a completely different system used for Street View. He must have been confused by the "360 view" commonality. This should have been trivial to verify.

My home has a curved and very steep driveway. I park my 340i in the right bay of our two car garage (there's a separate 3rd car garage but I've got other stuff in that one). When I pull out I have about 1" of clearance on the passenger side wing mirror. As soon as the front passenger side fender clears the garage I need to sharply cut the wheel so that I don't run the car off the driveway. I then need to cut back to exit the driveway without running off again.

It's always been a small headache doing this maneuver especially at 5 or 6 in the morning if I'm heading out for an early meeting. I have to re-learn the dimensions of each new car over the past 10.5 years we've owned the house.

I didn't think the top-view feature on the BMW was that big of a deal but thought it would be kind of neat. It has made this parking chore (as well as all other ones) a complete breeze. It's great to pull tail first into a spot and not even have to use the mirrors to get lined up perfectly.

In short, I really wish Tesla, with their claims of being a luxury automaker, had this feature available. On the BMW it's about a $500 option if you already have the backup cam and parking sensors.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So the general consensus is that ATM this can't be done (via OTA update) because the current design (location and orientation) of the cams prevent this.

Also, a system purely designed as a "driving through tight space aid" or "parking aid" wouldn't cut it, for me. So I've been working on the design of a system that'd allow way beyond those usage scenarios and add 24/7 security for the purpose of keeping the car and its occupants safe. It's a WIP with more and more features and variations added, to maximize usage scenarios and find the lowest possible cost on how to implement everything.

In short, I really wish Tesla, with their claims of being a luxury automaker, had this feature available.
Actually, Tesla calls themselves a manufacturer of 'premium' automobiles, not 'luxury'. They do acknowledge that others refer to their cars as luxury vehicles though. Me? I say Tesla makes expensive, performance, economy cars.

Tesla uses special cameras called Grey-Grey-Grey-Red cameras. They are kind of like black & white, only with Red & Grey. They are meant for computer vision use, not people use.
Although the color palette is extremely limited (basically shades of cyan and red), it's still fairly decent. Here's a sample picture from another thread:
tcd4-23-jpg.227854

AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?