Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, because you don't have it. So you can't enable or disable
it. It's like the optional no-flap mode on your angel wings. You
don't have 'em. And you surely haven't tested them. Now, I
understand some people want to vent about things that don't
exist, but that's mostly considered rather odd.

I'm just one of those cranky people, I guess. This is one of those tricky things, originally purchased car with one set of behaviors then another are "provided" to me without my permission. Everyone is bummed how hard it is to get an update, they sure as sugar make it tough to avoid one..

Oh and my angel wings are fully customized, thank you very much. I sprung for the solar powered gold plated ones to boot!

I will admit I surely love when someone else tells me how I should feel and such.. just love it..

Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm just one of those cranky people, I guess. This is one of those tricky things, originally purchased car with one set of behaviors then another are "provided" to me without my permission. Everyone is bummed how hard it is to get an update, they sure as sugar make it tough to avoid one..

Oh and my angel wings are fully customized, thank you very much. I sprung for the solar powered gold plated ones to boot!

I will admit I surely love when someone else tells me how I should feel and such.. just love it..

I don't think that anyone should take issue with Tesla adding a feature and making it available, especially a safety feature. I think people should take issue with the fact that they either let a bug slip through that does not remember the users choice for the option, or it is designed in a way that prevents it from being permanently disabled.

Edit: after reading another post on the topic, it looks like it re-enables with each drive by design. I understand why Tesla would do this, but it should be a permanent toggle or entirely removed until its better vetted.

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone should take issue with Tesla adding a feature and making it available, especially a safety feature. I think people should take issue with the fact that they either let a bug slip through that does not remember the users choice for the option, or it is designed in a way that prevents it from being permanently disabled.

Of course, it’s the forced opt-in I am displeased about, never a new feature I may select to use

Sooo....I got 16.2 yesterday and took the car for a drive. My experience was if I "let" the car drift out of the lane it would beep and correct just before it was going to cross the line. If i had steering wheel pressure and slowly directed the car to cross the line, no turn signal, it would cross without any sound or correction. I don't see a problem with this system. If I am paying attention I would never know it is activated.

Thats my experience as well... I really love the new LDA and ELDA, as long as people are signaling it won't bother you at all

Sooo....I got 16.2 yesterday and took the car for a drive. My experience was if I "let" the car drift out of the lane it would beep and correct just before it was going to cross the line. If i had steering wheel pressure and slowly directed the car to cross the line, no turn signal, it would cross without any sound or correction. I don't see a problem with this system. If I am paying attention I would never know it is activated.

agree on both!! been a great experience thus far.

Reactions: brandonee916
I had a pretty jarring experience with ELDA today that makes me wish it could be turned off permanently, at least until it works better. Just to state up front, I was vaguely aware of this feature just browsing the forums, but previous to today didn't pay much attention to this topic.

Anyway, I was driving on a two lane divided road this morning and for some unknown reason the car abruptly started sounding the alarm and pulled me back hard to the right of the lane I was in. It wasn't something I couldn't overpowered, but it was enough to really freak me out. At the time I was fully paying attention to the road and I'm honestly not really sure what caused it to freak out other than maybe the lane lines were a bit poorly marked due to recent construction (??). I was in no way drifting outside of the normal pattern that traffic ahead of me was following.

I had about an hour to drive after that and it really set me on edge, Hopefully this feature gets better, but given how it activated on me for no obvious reason and how startling it is to have your car take control with no notice, I'd really like to turn this off and not have to deal with the possibility of this happening again.

Furthermore, though this was not the case in this instance, I can think of many examples where you'd need to briefly cross a lane lane and where signaling is not always warranted, and I don't want my car overriding my actions in these cases (ie avoiding potholes or other hazards, trucks in an adjacent lane needing more space, old lane line markings and construction etc).

I had a pretty jarring experience with ELDA today that makes me wish it could be turned off permanently, at least until it works better. Just to state up front, I was vaguely aware of this feature just browsing the forums, but previous to today didn't pay much attention to this topic.

Anyway, I was driving on a two lane divided road this morning and for some unknown reason the car abruptly started sounding the alarm and pulled me back hard to the right of the lane I was in. It wasn't something I couldn't overpowered, but it was enough to really freak me out. At the time I was fully paying attention to the road and I'm honestly not really sure what caused it to freak out other than maybe the lane lines were a bit poorly marked due to recent construction (??). I was in no way drifting outside of the normal pattern that traffic ahead of me was following.

I had about an hour to drive after that and it really set me on edge, Hopefully this feature gets better, but given how it activated on me for no obvious reason and how startling it is to have your car take control with no notice, I'd really like to turn this off and not have to deal with the possibility of this happening again.

Furthermore, though this was not the case in this instance, I can think of many examples where you'd need to briefly cross a lane lane and where signaling is not always warranted, and I don't want my car overriding my actions in these cases (ie avoiding potholes or other hazards, trucks in an adjacent lane needing more space, old lane line markings and construction etc).
Your story reminds me when I used to teach flying. You sure couldn't expect what the students could throw at you. Even after a few thousand hours of teaching, they managed to catch you off guard ! :)

I’ve never had any issues with LDA. Seems more like careless drivers or people who really don’t understand how it works..shrugs.

I have lane departure warning off and thankfully it sticks - but it is confused by inconsistent lane markers and such.. so that is why it's off. At least it doesn't steer my car! (as the new emergency departure bit does)

I disagree with your assessment of folks understanding as well... there's something wrong with a feature if it truly is mystifying to some non-trivial size of its use base.

I have lane departure warning off and thankfully it sticks - but it is confused by inconsistent lane markers and such.. so that is why it's off. At least it doesn't steer my car! (as the new emergency departure bit does)

I disagree with your assessment of folks understanding as well... there's something wrong with a feature if it truly is mystifying to some non-trivial size of its use base.
Hold on msjulie. You are able to turn off ELDA completely, or just the LDA?

Note to self:

use turn signal the next time a big freaking twisted metal object comes flying at me on the highway... or a deer, etc...

Note to A$$wipes throwing arrogant attitudes around this thread:

hope you lose at poker tonight

Note to moderator: sorry, today only I cannot deal with know-it-alls. I'll be better tomorrow.
Right on Runnergirl. Great post. I’m actually playing poker tonight but because I’m not an Asswipe I expect to do OK. No arrogance from me.

• Funny
Reactions: Runnergirl
Got it, thanks. I had Tesla mobile service today to fix a couple of minor issues. He said Tesla is aware of the ELDA complaints and that it will be addressed in a coming firmware update. Not holding my breath.

I did get some good news, or at least I choose to treat it as such.. I reached out to a specific service contact I have, a previously very helpful person. I reiterated my concerns around forced opt-in, etc here's a bit of that email that was replied to me in within just a couple hours:

I am actually going to reach out to my buddy, XXXX, about this. He might know someone to direct this to.
Our Customer Support folks are working overtime to get answers back to people.
I do understand what you are saying here.
I hope all is well with you.​

I hope that Tesla's notion of addressing it includes respecting the owner's settings ...

I did get some good news, or at least I choose to treat it as such.. I reached out to a specific service contact I have, a previously very helpful person. I reiterated my concerns around forced opt-in, etc here's a bit of that email that was replied to me in within just a couple hours:

I am actually going to reach out to my buddy, XXXX, about this. He might know someone to direct this to.
Our Customer Support folks are working overtime to get answers back to people.
I do understand what you are saying here.
I hope all is well with you.​

I hope that Tesla's notion of addressing it includes respecting the owner's settings ...
Thanks Msjulie. Please let us know if you got some concrete answers.