Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Emergency one. Normal lane departure assistance will only vibrate the steering wheel. Enough people have complained and hopefully Tesla will allow us to permanently disable it or totally remove it.

As of 16.x, there are multiple options.

Normal lane departure has warning and assist modes. In warning mode, the wheel vibrates, in assist mode it will nudge the car back into the lane.

Emergency lane departure is a separate option to toggle, which is supposed to react if the car is drifting lanes and it thinks there may be a collision.

Reactions: brandonee916
Yup. Most everybody hates this “Feature “. The fact that it cannot be permanently turned off is a bug, not a feature.
Most everyone hates this feature. Lol
I don’t think so.

My biggest problem with this and emergency braking and WiFi (oddly) is that when you try to turn any of those off, you basically get told 'ok but just for now, it will all be on again tomorrow' and that is my biggest beef with all of it..

Also nothing where the car takes control, for saintly/safety/whatever reasons should reset to ON in my opinion. Everyone should have that control.

Reactions: afadeev and duanra
To each his own, but I would hate having the car interfering when I need to avoid an obstacle (pothole animals...etc) in my lane. Hence having this feature on a default setting is a terrible idea.

If it’s not on by default it may as well not exist.

Have you actually had a problem where it caused you to hit something? Or are you just speculating?

If it’s not on by default it may as well not exist.

Have you actually had a problem where it caused you to hit something? Or are you just speculating?
I don't have it, since I didn't have this update. For me the main thing is to be able to disable it without having to turn it off each time I am driving.
To compare, I could do it with the wipers, the lights, the sentry mode. It is all good things, however by default I don't use it. It should be the same for this feature.

Reactions: afadeev and Msjulie
Today I sent my second email to Tesla regarding their update philosophy, specifically calling out that my purchase decision would have been different had I know that updates would deliver behaviors that I can not permanently select to off. Further, I am telling some friends who are considering Model 3 (at my urging actually) about this behavior so they may make informed decisions.

It is legitimate for folks to have differing opinions on any of these features and to elect to use, or not, at their own discretion. I don't believe Tesla should be making that choice for anyone.

I urge anyone else who feels this way to make sure they contact Tesla at [email protected] and perhaps also phone calls, whatever it takes to get their attention.

What I find surprising with all these threads regarding ELDA is how many folks take the position that if it doesn't happen to them directly they discount the experience others are describing. This seams a bit shortsighted to me considering how the NN is trained in this system.

Very true. There were three posts on reddit this week about near accidents caused by the emergency lane departure thinking it knows better than the driver. Tesla needs to get their head out of their ass and let the drivers disable "features" if requested.

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance dangerous in NL (and more countries) : teslamotors

Emergency lane departure almost caused a serious accident. : teslamotors

What's the difference between Lane Departure Avoidance "Assist" and Emergency LDA? A 2019.16 story/question : teslamotors

I don't have it, since I didn't have this update. For me the main thing is to be able to disable it without having to turn it off each time I am driving.
To compare, I could do it with the wipers, the lights, the sentry mode. It is all good things, however by default I don't use it. It should be the same for this feature.

How can you insist on the ability to permanently disable it if you’ve never tried it?

And why would you want to be able to permanently disable auto lights?

That's hilarious, my post about Manly Muscle Tone to wrench
control of "little car" got a "disagree". Sorry, @afadeev, ees joke.
It's hard to disagree with joke, but OK.

Meanwhile I just got the 2019.16.2 update and it saved my butt
within the first hour of use. I got my paycheck late after Memorial
Day, but I got it. So I was headed down to the Oaks Card Club to
win a few hands of poker. But when I tried to cross my lane to get
on the freeway, my car refused, and instead drove me straight
home in time for dinner with the wife and kids. I'm very grateful.

That's hilarious, my post about Manly Muscle Tone to wrench
control of "little car" got a "disagree". Sorry, @afadeev, ees joke.
It's hard to disagree with joke, but OK.

Meanwhile I just got the 2019.16.2 update and it saved my butt
within the first hour of use. I got my paycheck late after Memorial
Day, but I got it. So I was headed down to the Oaks Card Club to
win a few hands of poker. But when I tried to cross my lane to get
on the freeway, my car refused, and instead drove me straight
home in time for dinner with the wife and kids. I'm very grateful.
I am amazed ! How did you survive driving around all these years without it ? :)

Reactions: afadeev
Don’t you want to make your own choices?
Why wouldn’t we have that same right?

Well, because you don't have it. So you can't enable or disable
it. It's like the optional no-flap mode on your angel wings. You
don't have 'em. And you surely haven't tested them. Now, I
understand some people want to vent about things that don't
exist, but that's mostly considered rather odd.