Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me this weekend. A broken down bus in the shoulder. I went around and crossed into the turn lane in the middle of the road and it tried to force me back into the disrupted lane with a broken bus. Do not like this feature. I like autopilot and how I can override it if I want. I don’t want it to intervene when I’m in control. It should at the very least check surroundings before engaging.

I am not saying it is a bad thing, I wish you wouldn't have to turn it off each time you go for a drive. It reminds me of software which ask you to confirm everything
Do you want to erase this file ?
Are you really sure ?
The file is not recoverable !
Confirm you understand the file is not recoverable.
etc....
Ok, I am a bit exagerating....:)

This is not a very good analogy. It’s more like manually turning off encryption or secure boot or driver signing enforcement... things you should never do during normal usage, and in the rare case someone needs to it is more important that it gets turned back on at the earliest opportunity than to leave a chance that it gets forgotten about and left off.

In the world of cars, traction control often operates the same way.

Reactions: bpjod
Well, personally I like the lane departure software. It is simple, if you intended to cross a lane line just signal your intention. I did a test a few days ago so I would know how it felt. I have drifted out of my lane on one occasion and it corrected the situation. The only negative is if you suddenly need to avoid a object in your lane, Moderate torque to the steering wheel will over come the safety system to avoid hitting the road debris.

This is not a very good analogy. It’s more like manually turning off encryption or secure boot or driver signing enforcement... things you should never do during normal usage, and in the rare case someone needs to it is more important that it gets turned back on at the earliest opportunity than to leave a chance that it gets forgotten about and left off.

To each his own, but I would hate having the car interfering when I need to avoid an obstacle (pothole animals...etc) in my lane. Hence having this feature on a default setting is a terrible idea.

A few days ago I was driving down a winding undivided 2 lane street leading to my house. I must have reached down for something and drifted into the middle of the street. All of the sudden the car jerked me back to my side and sounded some alarm and flashed something on the screen. Fortunately no one was coming in the opposite direction. It really took me by surprise but later I did appreciate it because I was partially out of my lane.

I would like this feature more if it would not activate if it detects obstacles in or near your lane. It can see ahead and should allow you to take evasive measures if necessary.

I disagree; the car takes the wheel and turns/jerks the wheel which is way more intrusive than any traction control system I’ve ever seen. In general those work with you not against you

Regardless, this is a feature some people don’t want and it should not be forced upon us.

All this feedback is odd. Tesla's blog states emergency lane departure avoidance is only supposed to kick in if there could be a collision or the car could leave the road. Sounds like it is not working as intended? I'm guessing if it actually worked the way they specified, then leaving it on by default would make sense.

Also, normal lane departure avoidance is only supposed to work if your hands are not on the wheel. You'd think the emergency version would work the same way?

It did actually pull me back into the lane the other day as I was thinking I had engaged AP and as I realized I hadn't it was already correcting and letting me know.

I’ll reserve an opinion on the feature since I only now received the update, but this is exactly why it exists. As people become accustomed to AP, more safety features will be needed for the times when you’re not in AP but think you are.

• Love
Reactions: Fernand and CrazyM3
All this feedback is odd. Tesla's blog states emergency lane departure avoidance is only supposed to kick in if there could be a collision or the car could leave the road. Sounds like it is not working as intended? I'm guessing if it actually worked the way they specified, then leaving it on by default would make sense.

Also, normal lane departure avoidance is only supposed to work if your hands are not on the wheel. You'd think the emergency version would work the same way?

It actually is working the way you describe above at least on my car anyway. If the car is about to leave the road it activates but also displays a message which I think is misleading as it says "Potential collision detected" even if there is no obvious collision about to happen, roadway departure at speed often doesn't end well. I think that message is what is leading people to make the claim of "false positive" .

As for non-roadway lane departures where you drift into a travel lane next to you or into oncoming traffic lane, I have not had an issue steering over the cars attempt to keep the car in the lane I was originally in. Yes, it does give a little bit of resistance but I wouldn't say it was any more than what it takes to pull it out of AP by moving the steering wheel.

I think it is just a new feature that people are not use to and like anything new and different than they are use to it takes time to learn and adjust to the system. I for one like the additional safety and do think they need to change it.

It actually is working the way you describe above at least on my car anyway. If the car is about to leave the road it activates but also displays a message which I think is misleading as it says "Potential collision detected" even if there is no obvious collision about to happen, roadway departure at speed often doesn't end well. I think that message is what is leading people to make the claim of "false positive" .

As for non-roadway lane departures where you drift into a travel lane next to you or into oncoming traffic lane, I have not had an issue steering over the cars attempt to keep the car in the lane I was originally in. Yes, it does give a little bit of resistance but I wouldn't say it was any more than what it takes to pull it out of AP by moving the steering wheel.

I think it is just a new feature that people are not use to and like anything new and different than they are use to it takes time to learn and adjust to the system. I for one like the additional safety and do think they need to change it.

DEFINITELY NOT.

Driving down the center of a lane, spooks at a truck passing me on the left, and shoves me over right on the lane line to the right, with a Semi in it. Neither the Truck nor the Semi were in my lane/coming in my lane. I was in the center of the lane. No Emergency in any way (other than what it caused)

Another instance, in the center of my lane on an off-ramp, it spooks at an arrow in the center of the lane, and kicks to the right.

Had another one this afternoon. Spooked at a big cactus which is right on the edge of the road. Kicked me left onto the wrong side of the road. Luckily nothing coming the other way. If there had been, there would be NO TIME to correct the steering input from the car, or resist the change.

That's why I would like to disable it, UNTIL, it stops trying to cause accidents.

Don't get me wrong, love everything else about the car, but the way it's behaving at the moment (your mileage may vary) is just plain dangerous.

DEFINITELY NOT.

Don't get me wrong, love everything else about the car, but the way it's behaving at the moment (your mileage may vary) is just plain dangerous.

Like I said in the 1st sentence of my post ...It actually is working the way stonelance described above at least on my car anyway.
I've driven over 500 miles since the update everything from rural back roads and 4 lane divided roadways as well as about 1/2 of the miles on interstate highway in NoA. Other than those times I pushed the car to trigger I just haven't had all the issues you and others seem to be having.

Reactions: bpjod and evannole
This happened to me this weekend. A broken down bus in the shoulder. I went around and crossed into the turn lane in the middle of the road and it tried to force me back into the disrupted lane with a broken bus. Do not like this feature. I like autopilot and how I can override it if I want. I don’t want it to intervene when I’m in control. It should at the very least check surroundings before engaging.

it won't force you over if you use your blinkers like you are supposed to. ;)