Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure avoidance issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW
I got lane departure correction 2x tonight when driving manually.
It startled me, exactly because I was in manual, and I drive so
much in various AP modes. It doesn't kick in at low speeds,
like when I'm avoiding potholes, so maybe that why it's
never startled me before. It did the right thing, though,
no issues. Personally I wouldn't disable it, because in one
of the 2 cases today I was actually distracted and had drifted.

@AlanSubie4Life
Drove the car all weekend (again, no EAP, Autosteer, TACC) and had the LDA kick in a few times and it was never excessive, just a nice gentle push. Also, one time I explicitly wanted to drive over the line due to a pot hole or something and while the steering put pressure against me the car happily stayed where I wanted. No chimes, nothing. This was all LDA.

It has nearly taken me into a tractor, as it didn't like that I was going off the road with one side on a smaller country road to avoid the plow.

It turns on every day at the same spot in the road where the lane widens for a turn on my route home.

It jar's passengers with its shrill.

Do not like it. If you are not paying attention it will cause an wreck, as you do need to wrench it back, but that moment that it happens it surprises. It is only a matter of time before it does cause a wreck.

I think the idea is good, it is just way too aggressive. If there is no immediate threat, beyond going off the road, should not jerk me back into the center of the road. I get it at least once a driving session, for non threatening situations. Quite sick of it. I have never been in an accident, never been off the road, but here I am being told all the time that emergency lane departure put into use to avoid a collision that never was going to happen.

Last edited:
I guess lane departure avoidance would make cutting curves on mountain roads an annoying adventure. :) I turn off the lousy vibration on lane departure due to this. I like to enjoy using the entire road to smooth out the curves and hasten the pace.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Today was first day driving with the new update (I’m on 16.2). I drive the same boring road to work everyday through mostly nothing but forest. 2x on the way there and 1x on the way back I somehow triggered the lane departure avoidance. And damn is it annoying. It seems if you are driving close to or on the white line for the shoulder Tesla doesn’t like that and jerks you, uncomfortably away from it back to the middle of the lane. It was so abrupt, loud, and unnerving I turned it off both times. I do see the benefit for it but I don’t want it on anymore after today and it annoys me I have to turn it off every time I get into the car now. Anyone else having issues with it?

These warnings are only available if I have EAP, right? ie: I just have the basic car, from July 2018 and didn't pay the additional $k for EAP :)

I'll test it by drifting over the white line on the shoulder and nothing happens and other times it works fine. I don't know what makes it go off.

Don't provide any steering input for a while, and make sure you're going fast enough. You can't direct the car over the line with a steering input. The exact conditions it will activate are a little hard to discern - but you're right it won't ALWAYS go off. But it's not intended to always activate in every possible scenario of road departure! It's not necessary for it to ALWAYS prevent you from crashing off the road for it to provide a huge overall safety improvement.