Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest concern about buying a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years.

If you're willing to pay a surcharge per mile to remove the risk, you could lease the vehicle instead of buying it.

If Tesla did fold and close up shop, you could continue driving it until the end of the lease (3 years, unlikely to have major repairs or problems during that time), then turn it in and it's someone else's problem.

However, you pay more overall unless you're one of the small fraction of people who could take a tax deduction because you use the vehicle for work.

Reactions: Guy V
I have had the same concerns and agree with some of the other posts. There would certainly be a lot of interest in acquiring their assets (supercharging network), brand and customer base from many types of buyers. They could also reorganize in bankruptcy by wiping out the equity and restructuring the debt which would leave them in a much more sustainable financial position. So I think the biggest risk as car owner would be short term service issues.

Ultimately, I ordered a cheaper SR+ and shorted the stock to hedge the risk. Allows me to make some $ to offset issues that may arise from a filing. But I am a pragmatist and a capitalist.

they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created

Except for the biggest...sales events and billions in advertising. Ford spends about $2500 in advertising for every Lincoln sold. VW spends about $1200. You are virtually subsidizing the advertising industry when you buy most vehicles but not a Tesla.

Or how about a non-lever like doing something good for the planet? Review and test drive available EV's and at leat choose one and not an ICE.

To me there are so many reasons to buy an EV and so few not to that the decision becomes overwhelmingly in favor of doing so. Tesla owners overall have extremely high satisfaction ratings and regardless of everything you might read here and elsewhere, as a company in it's infancy trying to do what no one has done in a very long time (become an auto mfg), they've done a pretty good job.

The context in which Tesla exists is very interesting. It's more than just an automobile.

Absolute worst case they’ll get bought by someone. Far too valuable of a company with too many assets to just fold up shop.

This is my bottom line, too. Outside of Tesla, some automakers have finally jumped on the EV bandwagon, but others are dragging their heels. As EVs gain in popularity, Tesla's intellectual property (that is, the designs for their cars, as well as patents and whatnot) will become extremely valuable to the laggards. So if Tesla were to hit serious problems soon (say, if the next three or four quarters were really bad), a company like Ford might snap them up. A non-automotive buyer like Apple or Google is also a possibility, as is a relatively new and unknown Chinese automaker. The Supercharger network might or might not go with the rest of the company, but it, too, is a big asset to the right buyer.

The biggest risk, IMHO, is to a short-term (a few weeks or months) disruption, during which time Superchargers might not charge, we'd see no software updates, and it might become impossible to get replacement parts. That could be a real problem if you happen to get into an accident, or if your car breaks, at the wrong time; but I'd be surprised if such problems weren't resolved in a month or two at the most. There's also the likelihood of third-party suppliers stepping in to provide spare parts, at least for some components and for the more common Model 3.

Keep in mind that, even as Q4 2018 ended, Tesla warned that Q1 2019 would not be profitable. It's true that the losses were greater than most analysts were predicting, but it was a "perfect storm" of issues, and the next few quarters don't seem likely to reproduce such issues. Thus, I don't think it's likely that Tesla will go bankrupt in the next year or two.

Reactions: neroden
Zero chance they will just cease to exist. Even if they have to eventually file bankruptcy, that doesn’t mean they’ll no longer exist. Look at all the autos that filed bankruptcy a decade ago.

Absolute worst case they’ll get bought by someone. Far too valuable of a company with too many assets to just fold up shop.

Can you imagine if they were bought by GM? Their new model y would come out as a hybrid version..lol

My head says maybe but my heart, which has wanted an electric car since I was a child building solar powered golf carts with my dad, says no. So trying to convince my rational head.
I would take a step back and think clearly. The Cars Tesla makes are extremely good cars. I have people I work with that still are talking about my car. The company is at a very high infrastructure investment point especially with a new gigafactory in China being built.

I got my first Tesla on 3 June of last year and and I am still excited to drive it. I now really don't like driving regular cars. This is especially true with rentals.

If you are that interested I would go for it. You only live once.

• Love
Does anyone else share this concern?

Not me.

Wall Street has been predicting doom and gloom for Tesla for awhile and they've been wrong every time. Tesla is a resilient company. They produce amazing cars. The new gigafactory in China will open up huge demand in Asia. The Model Y is coming. a big refresh for the Model S is coming. A Tesla pick up truck is also coming. FSD is making progress. Bottom line is that Tesla has a lot of potential for the future. Tesla might have some struggles but they will be fine.

I think a lot of other people that are not familiar with Tesla share your view. The FUDs are working.
I highly doubt Tesla will go bankrupt. They have made a name for themselves and started something very remarkable.

Even if they do, they will not cease to exist. I'm sure there is a long list of companies that are willing to buy up the company and continue the with the name. No other EV has their prestige or charging network. If you ask someone what is the best EV out there, I'm pretty confident they will say Tesla.

No risk, no reward ;) Go buy some other boring car.

Keep in mind that I bet 2/3 of the owners of Tesla's also spent more than they ever had on a car before as well. You are by no means alone.
It's only natural because with an EV you're paying some costs up front.

In the long run, for say a LR RWD, the long term cost of owning and operating is probably on the order of a Nicer Honda Accord (maybe an Audi A4) say, a $25k - $32k ICE car.

Now, I must say, that partly depends on what electricity costs you. There is a HUGE gap in what folks pay across the USA. Any where from $0.08 kWh to $0.32 kWh. And some folks can charge at work free etc. So it partly depends on where you get your kW from that affects the ROI. I have a fairly high rate but I have Solar to cover most of it. I'll know better after a year of ownership.

Also factor in TIREs. A lot of lead foots are eating their tires faster than they are saving on gas.

Insurance is a another thing to watch out for. You need to shop around, and if you do you can find very reasonable rates. My worry is, over time the model 3 rates will go way up. Fast, expensive cars, tedious to fix, young drivers and running Beta AP could push the stats towards more $$$ for everyone.

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?

Go lease an Nissan Leaf or BMW i3 then!
If $35-65K is too much to digest for your budget, both of the above can be had for < $300/month.
Lease might a remedy for Tesla commitment fears as well!

Lease is a 2-/3-year engagement, so if you have a fear of commitment to a given vehicle, a lease gives you a firm way out in a relatively near future.

Your fears are irrational to others, but very real to yourself.
I can't council you out of those, so best if you work around them.

HTH,
a

Reactions: C141medic
Insurance is a another thing to watch out for. You need to shop around, and if you do you can find very reasonable rates. My worry is, over time the model 3 rates will go way up. Fast, expensive cars, tedious to fix, young drivers and running Beta AP could push the stats towards more $$$ for everyone.

Mine went up about $30/year from my Cadillac. All in, I'm paying $519 for 6 months. NJ - State Farm

Liability: $250k/person, $500k/accident - injury, $100k - property damage
PIP: $250k
Comp: $100 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Uninsured coverage: same as liability
(NJ minimums are $5,000 property damage; $15,000 PIP)

I also carry a $2m umbrella policy - that runs me about $100/year - that sits on top of my auto & homeowners policies.

Can't complain about the rates.... very reasonable in my book. And my agent is super easy to work with.

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?
By refusing to support this innovation in vehicle design and execution, you perpetuate the mindset that’s enabled the current situation of ice powered car manufacturers and the oil industries geopolitical influence and inherent risks. Think of what the Middle East could’ve been today, if oil wasn’t such a sought after commodity? Sure your decision setting on the sidelines seems the safe bet, though many including myself will be enjoying our Tesla’s for years to come, while you try to figure things out...too bad for you.

• Love
Well there is a big difference between buying an iPhone and a $35,000 car :). I can absorb those loses if they don’t pan out for one. But it’s a good point.
Glad to see you're even tempted to buy this car. I have zero worry on Tesla going out of business. Like many people mentioned here, too valuable to not be picked up. Heck, Elon Musk might be waving hello from MARS before Tesla goes out of business. Forget the Chinese, Elon might be able to find some Martians and have them buy Tesla.

Few things that I want to mention.
1. Tax credit goes down again after June 30th, so 2 months later it's $1775 more expensive (total out of pocket goes up)
2. A lot of people on the forum are speculating that 35k SR will go away, similar to the base version of Model S went away. SR at 35k is a crazy value in my opinion, especially if you don't need AP.
3. I'd ask your local tesla delivery center to see if you can test drive the car for a day, some have successfully done that.
4. Only buy what you can afford, we as Americans are notorious on debt management. If you can afford it, this car is awesome, if not, just wait or buy another car.

• Love
By refusing to support this innovation in vehicle design and execution, you perpetuate the mindset that’s enabled the current situation of ice powered car manufacturers and the oil industries geopolitical influence and inherent risks. Think of what the Middle East could’ve been today, if oil wasn’t such a sought after commodity? Sure your decision setting on the sidelines seems the safe bet, though many including myself will be enjoying our Tesla’s for years to come, while you try to figure things out...too bad for you.
I'm sure a lot of people want to support Tesla on the green mission, but only if their budget allows them. Prior to my SR+ purchase, my most expensive car was a 25k Honda CRV (Got my eyes on model Y when it comes out). going from 25k to close to 40k was a big jump and I had to evaluate all options. OP also stated that even SR would be by far the most expensive car he'll purchase if he goes that route, so there's clearly financial constraints that he's having. Of course OP would be enjoying the car if he buys it, but his pocket may be feeling a little burn.

Mine went up about $30/year from my Cadillac. All in, I'm paying $519 for 6 months. NJ - State Farm

Liability: $250k/person, $500k/accident - injury, $100k - property damage
PIP: $250k
Comp: $100 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Uninsured coverage: same as liability
(NJ minimums are $5,000 property damage; $15,000 PIP)

I also carry a $2m umbrella policy - that runs me about $100/year - that sits on top of my auto & homeowners policies.

Can't complain about the rates.... very reasonable in my book. And my agent is super easy to work with.

I had to switch insurance companies (MetLife) because they wanted like another $1000.00 a year so. I had to shop around and got a similar rate to yours from Progressive. And when shopping there were more companies that were VERY high than ones that were reasonable. So my concern is LONG term what will happen. Will most insurance companies come down or will the companies with reasonable rates go up?

For Model S/X it was even worse. I could not find reasonable rates from anyone on that car. I almost considered an X but insurance was outrageous. So currently only the Model 3, only with probably 25% of insurance companies have reasonable rates at the moment.

I'm just saying it's something to watch out for, hard to predict what will happen.

Not me.

Wall Street has been predicting doom and gloom for Tesla for awhile and they've been wrong every time. Tesla is a resilient company. They produce amazing cars. The new gigafactory in China will open up huge demand in Asia. The Model Y is coming. a big refresh for the Model S is coming. A Tesla pick up truck is also coming. FSD is making progress. Bottom line is that Tesla has a lot of potential for the future. Tesla might have some struggles but they will be fine.

It's hard not to forget that these wall street analysts have their portfolios heavily invested in ICE manufacturers, and would rather see Tesla go away so the traditional manufacturers don't have to invest dollars in BEVs. With so many countries (sorry to say our own right now isn't one of them) realizing the need to clean their air, it's kind of hard to see BEVs and their manufacturers going away at this point. Like it or not the light has been seen by even the European car manufacturers. I think Tesla with it's expansion in China and having other products working to come on line is going through a rough patch. Tesla's quarterly filing with the SEC indicated their intention to possibly seek outside financing during the coming months for expansion. I think the Chinese would snap up Tesla if they could but other foreign and domestic companies would be there fighting for a share of it too. Their battery tech, drivetrain, and so much more of the car is so advanced above what others currently have to offer.

As others have said, and we own two Teslas now, it's a great car. I've never enjoyed any other car like I do the ones we have now and plan to keep them for a while. As with many here, our previous cars were much less expensive (Toyota Avalon and Camry, prior to that Honda Accords), so we do get the hesitancy to commit to a car above what you've previously spent. No regrets though and really won't go back to an ICE vehicle. We consider Tesla to be the very best of what's out there now.

Last edited: