Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest concern about buying a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My head says maybe but my heart, which has wanted an electric car since I was a child building solar powered golf carts with my dad, says no. So trying to convince my rational head.
Your head should also go back to 2001 and read about a little company called amazon that had stock that fell from $120 to $3. This is normal. The news you are reading is to generate headlines. That doesn’t mean it’s true. Yep, they have challenges. So does IBM.

Hi Pkeet99
Adding in my two cents.
We drove a 2015 e-Golf for 3-years waiting for the Model 3.
If you haven't driven an EV for very long, you will be shockingly amazed by one. At least this one.
Simply put, EVs are magic. They are the future.
So my prediction: if you're not a previous EV owner, you will love this car.
There are issues. Apparently I've had fewer than many.
But as you read the issues people have, keep in mind how many Teslas are on the road.
You're hearing (almost) the worst that is happening.
We've had some niggling issues with warning messages, and the new firmware caused rebooting a few times, but even with all that BS, the car still drives amazing.
Yes, service is hard to get into, but I have had nothing but excellent customer service.
In fact they even call me back to get details and try to fix it at my work or home using their mobile service.
We've never driven a luxury car before, but have also never had mobile service from Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Chevy, or Dodge either.
About Tesla, the key thing to keep in mind when reading forums or the news, is that a LOT of people stand to make a LOT of money if Tesla fails. So they want you to think Tesla is faltering. Every little thing is going to be amplified. Every carmaker that hints at an idea for a new EV, is suddenly spelling doom for Tesla. It is difficult to weed out those that are working against Tesla. I look for the leaps to negative conclusions. Every carmaker makes mistakes. Look at VW's diesel fiasco. I think Tesla will make some more mistakes, but I don't believe they will be catastophic.
As previous posters have pointed out, there are so many scenarios that would maintain the Supercharger network and service should Tesla falter. To my mind, having a lot of money in the bank is great for a company... if you don't have to borrow it. Borrowing money only to let it sit in the bank is a great way to throw away millions in interest.
My advice is to look at your personal budget and situation and if you can afford to spend $60k on a car, this is the only car I would recommend you buy. If you can't afford $60k, then look at a Bolt. It's a great little car, but not as awe inspiring as the Model 3 IMO.

They've been saying the same crap for the last 15 years and Tesla just keeps growing and getting bigger and better. My Model 3 is the best vehicle I've ever owned and it's the only one that has gotten better and will keep getting better over time. Name another that can do that at any price and if you can, you better buy that one instead. The shorts and negative Tesla haters will exist and try everything they can to destroy the company but for those of us that have any brains, we'll keep buying Teslas and supporting the mission.

I am the original owner of a 2012 Fisker Karma, so I know a thing or three about owning an orphan car. That is exactly why I leased my Model S P100D. And, after Elon stupidly stated in an interview a few months ago that Tesla fairly recently came within weeks of closing the doors, I was reassured I made the right decision. I'll most likely lease my next Tesla for the same reason. Having said all that, I find it very, very, very hard to believe that Tesla would simply shut its doors and go away. It's far more likely that they'd sell to another manufacturer who would see the purchase as an attractive way to ensure they stayed within compliance of overall fleet EPA emissions requirements.

If you like the car but can't tolerate the risk, lease it. You will not regret it.

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?

My 2017 Model S is the most expensive purchase I've ever made other than my house, and it only missed that by about $25000. Most owners I know are in a similar boat. I'm not worried about Tesla disappearing, but even if they did, I'd still be very glad to own one. Maintenance is zero, looking ahead, I don't see that changing any time soon. Other than the potential loss of superchargers, which matters less every day, I'm not sure I would even be impacted. This decision will have been FAR harder for early buyers, particularly of the Roadsters.

Your best bet is probably to buy a Tesla (cause you certainly won't regret that) and then unplug from media. Media NEEDS to create uncertainty and fear, because if Tesla's "no advertising" model was to catch on, imaging the cost and damage to the media's business model. So you read about fires, accidents and sales declines (2018Q4 vs 2019Q1, notice it's not 2018Q1 vs 2019Q1...)

Before I bought mine, I went online to search for unhappy Tesla buyers. I recommend you do the same. Or hang out at a supercharger and ask people if they would buy another Tesla. What you'll find is that most people reached financially for their purchases. It will generally be the most expensive car people have bought (up front cost, but not total cost including price, fuel, maintenance, etc) And none of them will buy anything except another Tesla. You will also find that most people wish they had bought one size up on the battery pack or if they have the largest, they wished they had bought the performance version. Meaning, in hindsight, they not only are confident with their cars, but they would have spent more if they knew then what they know now.

You won't regret a Tesla. Period.

Except for people offering their code for you to use when you buy one. I suspect that gets annoying. :) If you use someone's code, use one from someone you meet in person who is friendly and helpful.

There is always a Bolt, Leaf, I-PACE, and others as an option if you are serious about going electric.

And you will look at them every single day that you own them with regret for having not gone with Tesla.

Or you'll smile with satisfaction every time Autopilot chime on. And every time you step on the accelerator. And every time you get notified of a new update. And, And, And... :)

Last edited:
afadeev said:
Go lease an Nissan Leaf or BMW i3 then!
If $35-65K is too much to digest for your budget, both of the above can be had for < $300/month.

The problem here is that it's not $300. It's $300 plus fuel, oil changes and whatever other maintenance.

Not at all.

Both i3 and Leaf are BEVs, so $0.00 for fuel/oil changes.
All cars require minimal upkeep (wiper blades, cabin filters, tires), Tesla's included.

The reason I brought up leasing (which is heavily subsidized by BMW, for example), is that leases provide a very low-cost / limited-downside entry into the EV world.
Especially if the perspective EV convert is less than comfortable committing to a $35-65K EV vehicle, for any combination of reasons.

Lease one first, get comfy with EVs, buy another one later.
Statistically, it's highly likely that the car you buy will be a Tesla, but if not, no hard feeling.

Just don't let the fear TSLA's business prospects (real or imaginary) to deter you from getting into an EV now.
Chance are - you'll love it!

a

I vividly remember the day I test drove a model S (some 4+ years ago), knowing full well I could never afford one, and hoping one day Tesla would make a $30K car. When the Model 3 was announced I knew I had to have one. I stood in lane for hours that first day in March 2016 o put down my $1K, and took ownership 2 years later.

Sure, I paid a lot more than the $30K I was hoping to limit my spending to (yes, for me too, the most money I have ever spent on a car), but I can honestly say, the BEST car purchase I have EVER made.

Love the technology. Love the constant over-the-air software updates (what other auto manufacturers will give you THAT).
Love watching gas prices rise (ok, not really, my wife drives an ICE) and I never have to stop at the pumps.

And when the "Y" comes out, I will buy one for my wife.

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of months so I know some people are going to respond that Tesla is all unicorns and rainbows but for the rest of us I have a question. My largest concern about buying a model 3 (besides that it will be, by far, the most expensive auto I have ever purchased) is a potential collapse of Tesla. I don’t want to buy this car with a shiny 4 year warranty then have tesla go out of business 3 months later, this car has to be able to get me to work for the next 6+ years. And while I know Tesla is always riding the edge it seems like more of its exes are abandoning ship, US demand isn’t great, they are trying to pull ever demand lever every created, they lost a ton in q1, wall street is worried, etc. Does anyone else share this concern?

One could express the same concerns about GM, Ford, and especially Chrysler. Remember 2 of these went bankrupt in 2008/2009 time frame and only exist today because of a US government bailout.I would be much more concerned about buying a GM or Chrysler product today.

Hello Pkeet99,

I understand your question, and my wife and I absolutely considered the exact same question before buying our Model X. Yet, we did not even flinch at the prospect of putting down our hard-earned cash on that beautiful automobile. Here's why...

Tesla is more than a car company. It is a social movement, and it is a critical one. Tesla, in a nutshell, is a private response to climate change. It is a challenge to the status quo of burning fossil fuels, and that is a status quo that will almost certainly lead to the end of human civilization. Big business and governments have been far too slow to recognize and respond to climate change. Yet, Elon Musk had the intelligence and the integrity to create a fortune, and then bet that fortune on the prospect of providing a solution to climate change: namely, sustainable transportation, renewable energy, and renewable energy storage. Mr. Musk continues to double down on his commitment, building his network of companies at an incredible pace, but constantly pushing his organization to the brink. He does this because he understands the urgency of our predicament.

Have you ever said to yourself, "Had I been there back in the times of slavery, I would have stood up"? Have you ever claimed, "Were I there during the Holocaust, I would have raised my voice"? Well, climate change is probably the biggest challenge any human being will ever confront, and we are here: we happen to be living and making decisions right at this pivotal moment in history. My family, children included, has chosen to stand up. Yes... it comes with risk; standing up for what is right always does. But we have all agreed that we don't want to go down without a fight. No matter how things turn out, we want to be on the right side of history.

Yours truly,

Art Lightstone

PS.

In September of 2018, when we bought our Model X, Tesla had its best quarter to date. We were so proud to have contributed to that positive financial period. The next period, the final quarter of 2018, was even better. The first quarter of 2019 was much worse by comparison, but only when comparing it to the previous quarter (which was the "best" quarter in the company's history). Thus, expansion into Europe (with more than 10,000 cars caught in the delivery pipeline), and a base effect of comparing last quarter to the stellar previous quarter, is largely responsible for the appearance of the soft quarter at the beginning of 2019. Tesla is expanding its production facilities (including the Fremont plant, the Gigafactory in Nevada, and the completely new Gigafactory in China), and it is expanding its vehicle offerings at a breakneck pace: including the new Model Y SUV, the new Tesla Roadster, the Tesla pickup truck, and the Tesla semi. None of this could possibly be done without spending a lot of cash, but the payoff will be huge. If you just test drive a Tesla... any Tesla, you will see why this company is highly unlikely to fail. Their cars are simply like nothing else you have experienced. Add to that the Tesla Supercharging Network, the incredible safety ratings, the free over-the-air updates (that constantly add new features to the cars), and the ability to add autopilot or even full-self-driving to these cars at any point you might wish to down the road, and you have a product that no other car company can possibly compete with. They just can't. Other car manufacturers are constrained by their corporate missions. If they promote their EVs, then they will cannibalize their gas cars. If they promote their gas cars, then they will not only look completely backwards and insensitive to climate change, but they will, of course, cannibalize their EV sales. Other manufacturers are basically stuck between a rock and a hard place.

PPS.

After just six months of owning our Model X, we could no longer tolerate driving our one remaining gas car (a Honda civic). We sold that Honda and ordered a new Model 3 just a few weeks ago. You will notice that people who drive Teslas rarely buy any other car afterward. That says something. In fact, it says a lot.

Last edited:
Not everyone is cut out to be an early adopter, and this poster seems to be solidly in that camp (risk-averse). The scouts ride out ahead of the wagons, and risk taking an arrow or two in the back. It's no accident that most of the pioneers stick with the wagons, there's no shame in that.
There's wisdom in waiting a year or two until the Tesla Model Y and other BEV offerings hit the market, and battery prices have a chance to come down a bit more. Experience with Silicon Valley products has shown that they incrementally improve and drop in price, so wait as long as possible and then buy the best you can afford, accepting that it will be obsoleted by a new, improved model before very long. Just don't buy a new fossil-fuel vehicle in the meanwhile ... as the price of gasoline starts to creep up just in time for summer vacations ...
(PS: full disclosure - we own a Tesla Model 3 AWD and are absolutely delighted with it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ArtLightstone
Tesla cars are like most technology items, every year they seem to get better and cheaper.
If you don’t have an early adopter personality, I would buy something different and wait until you feel comfortable making the leap.
Personally, I wish I had purchased earlier than I did. I have never enjoyed any car so much.

Reactions: ArtLightstone
I don’t believe I would be in a position to have bought my SR3 Base if I didn’t think like you, Pkeet99. The worst case scenario, no matter how remote, is never impossible. That being said, the last 13 says in my new car has reduced me into a gelatinous mass of pure pleasure. Nudge nudge....

I had the same concern as the OP. I resolved it by (mentally) making a list of all the upscale, performance auto manufacturers. Then I crossed off all of them that have an EV even close to the Tesla. The 2 lists were the same.

That's my tongue in cheek way of saying that Tesla's technology would be a major asset to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, etc, etc, etc.

Which isn't to say that your resale value would take a hit, but parts and service would likely still be available.

Consumers Reports just cited the Model 3 as "Not Recommended" along with the Model S, with the Model X being "Highly Not Recommended", with all comments based on reliability.

Consumer Reports applies the term "Recommended" to products that test well. The "Not Recommended" moniker is rarely used, and applies only to products that are really bad; to be so labeled, a product has to do worse than to simply not make the Recommended list; it has to be dangerous, extremely unreliable, or otherwise awful. To the best of my knowledge, CR has not put any Tesla into that category. Of course, a product that is not on the Recommended list is by definition not Recommended, but that's different from being in the separate "Not Recommended" list. AFAIK, CR has no "Highly Not Recommended" category. I think it's important to get the terminology correct, since CR has specific things in mind for the three categories of "Recommended," no recommendation, and "Not Recommended." Unfortunately, "Not Recommended" sounds like it would be anything not in the Recommended list, which can lead to confusion, but that's not the case. Fortunately, few products fall into that category.

That said, I think you may be referring to, but imprecisely reporting, the reliability score, which CR reports on a 5-point scale using graphics from red (bad) to green (good), but I'll refer to as 1 (bad) to 5 (good) for clarity in text. The Model X currently gets a score of 1. The Model 3 got a score of 3 originally, but that dipped to 2 after a few months. Historically, the Model S has gotten anywhere from a 1 to a 3. (The 2018 production -- the most recent reported so far -- gets a 1. Apparently the model's been suffering from some recent design changes.)

Reliability is only one factor in CR's car tests, albeit an important one. In order to make the Recommended list, a car must have an average (3) or better reliability rating, but that's not the only factor. The Model 3 and Model S have both achieved a reliability rating of 3 some years (or months, for the Model 3) but not others, which means both of those cars have been Recommended at one point or another; but neither currently makes the grade. Teslas, and especially the Model S, shine in most other categories, including customer satisfaction (another survey result, from the same users as, but independent of, reliability ratings), crash tests (based on NHTSA and IIHS data), and road test (acceleration, braking, handling, seat comfort, etc.; as tested by CR).

• Love
Reactions: neroden