Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds reasonable to swap them out in NJ. Just thinking that they should give some sort of credit---maybe in the future.
I went with the 21 inch wheels because I live in San Diego---no rain, no ice, no snow. Enjoy driving your car when it arrives.

Yeah I swapped them out and put 19s on. Can't drive low profiles here in NJ where the weather sucks a lot and roads are not maintained whatsoever. There are potholes all over the place, even on main roads.

Also those low profiles will basically turn to wood in freezing temps and I wasn't about to risk spinning out a $100k car just for the sake of saying 'hey cool, look I have 21" wheels'. Plus this is not an AWD vehicle. 19s will do just fine. I also didn't feel like spending time trying to save a couple bucks by doing a tire swap with anyone.

There was another thread on here that analyzed the true cost to own the 21's vs 19's and it concluded that the 19's will last 50% longer than the 21's, and that the 21's would cost incredibly more to maintain/replace over the years. Other threads asking these questions have received an overwhelming majority of responses like:
- 'SUMMER TIRES ARE ABSOLUTELY USELESS AND VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE ON.'
- 'irresponsible to drive in freezing conditions.'
- 'very dangerous in any snow'
- '
are like ice skates in the cold'
- ' type of compound used for the tire [low profile tire] makes it stickier, (and have a shorter lifespan)'
- '[21s] should at least last 15,000 miles which would be nice'
- '
Tesla service charged me $425 with tax to replace one [21" tire].'

that last one - lol, WTF? seriously? how'd you like to pay $2000 every 6 months for new tires. no thank you!

Combine that with the fact that Tesla has written all over the place that their 21" high-performance summer tires reduce the battery range and basically likely to get damaged on bad surfaces and are not covered under warranty.

Them's the reasons I got the 19's. :)

Edit:
I should also note that I've always put Michelin tires on all the cars I've owned. (can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but probably the ones rated highest for all/rainy weather), and they've always seemed to last between 30-50k miles for me. Getting low profiles that require replacement every 15k, let alone 21's are way more expensive than 19's, basically reverses all the savings you get for never having to buy gas again.

I had a hiccup with finalizing my order at the DocuSign stage after receiving the pre-MVPA. I opened the DocuSign document, electronically signed it and submitted it and received "successful submission" and certificate of submission. History showed it signed and submitted so all good, right? Wrong.

Lets review.

01/08 12:31pm ,received email ' Invitation to Configure Your Model S'
01/08 ~12:50pm,submitted finalization at teslamotors.com
01/08 12:59pm,received email 'We're preparing your Model S paperwork'
01/08 1:49pm,received email 'Your Model S paperwork is ready for signing'
01/08 2:47pm, openedDocuSign, electronically signed and submitted MVPA. Received certification of submission.
Certificate shows:
Sent: 1/8/2013 10:49:11 AM PT (1:49pmEST)
Delivered:1/8/2013 11:43:17 AM PT (2:43pmEST)
Signed:1/8/2013 11:47:09 AM PT (2:47pmEST)

All good? No. Ok here's were it goes wrong.

Next day.

01/09 approx 12:00pm. No updates from Tesla. No confirmation of Docusign'd MVPA received (e.g. no email from them). MY TESLA still showing 'Your Model S paperwork is ready for signing' . Considering the fast responses I received after submitting the finalization and subsequent emails I grew a little suspicious.

01/09 12:33pm, sent email to the person at Tesla I received the "We're preparing your Model S paperwork'' from to inquire if they've received the electronically signed DocuSign.

01/09 4:49pm. Nothing. Ok now I'm getting anxious. Sent the same email to '[email protected]'.

01/10 1:39am, received response from [email protected] saying 'Your DOCUSIGN is not complete. We can see that you have opened the document but not completed signing. A Tesla Representative will be reaching out to you tomorrow to help you finalize your order.' What???

01/10 6:17am, checked the DocuSign several more times. There's nothing I can do. I already did this and DocuSign won't allow me to do it again. No buttons to push other than view history/certificate/download pdf. Its already been signed and submitted. As a Software Engineer myself, I preemptively assumed something f*d up in this docusign system, so I downloaded the PDF's for the electronically signed MVPAas well as the certificate and emailed them to both the Tesla rep and buildmymodels.

01/10 10:54am, received phone call from representative at Tesla who left a voicemail saying my DocuSign looks like I opened it, filled out part of it, and didn't submit it. Told me to go back through, finish it, submit it, and that I should get a certification of completion at the end. (obviously there's a problem with the DocuSign system since that is definitely not the state I'm seeing). No mention of my email.

01/10 11:10am, called the representative back and explained situation. He said there must be some sort of problem or inconsistenies between the systems. He said he'd immediately go down and check with someone to see if they got my email and that it will probably take a few days to get back to me since they'll have to manually enter my info into their system; said he'll get back to me ASAP to confirm they have my email with the docs.

01/10 11:21am, got email saying they did get my email with the attached docs and all looks good. Not sure whats up with DocuSign. 'We have received your completed paperwork PDF. It is currently being processed and countersigned by us.' Whew.

01/10 4:39pm, received email 'Your Model S order is complete! Your Model S Performance order is on its way to the Tesla Factory!'. Checked status at MY TESLA and now says 'The Tesla Factory is Building your Model S'. !!

So basically it looks like my DocuSign MVPA submission actually failed even though all looked good on my end and there were no more actions for me to take in DocuSign system. I had the certificate of submission and everything. If it wasn't for the fact that I thought not hearing confirmation of the DocuSign submission was a little odd and that I was on top of this like a dog with a bone, it could have stayed in this weird status for a long time and left me in the dark.

My suggestion to everyone else is this: make sure your electronically signed documents through DocuSign actually go through, or just do it the old fashioned way and print/fax it. I don't know whats up with this DocuSign thing but to me it seems like a flaky system and you shouldn't trust that it actually works at all.

Anyone, glad to see it isn't a problem and that I could just email them the info. Didn't take a few days either so thanks to Tesla for that. Happy to see my Tesla is getting buildt now ;) :)

Last edited:
I received my finalize button on 12-20-2012 completed 12-29-2012. Black Pano Roof 40KW still pondering upgrade to 60KW

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and my page says it is at the factory being built although since it is a 40 it will not be built until March

A post by tlemcke on the TM Model S Forum shows that US P #13907 has been asked to configure/finalize.

Before this past Monday, Jan 7, the last reported US reservation sequence number moved to finalize/time-to-build was #12,568 on Dec 20.

Today's #13,907 means that over 1,300 US reservation sequence numbers have been allowed to finalize this week (assuming they're allowing finalizations based on reservation sequence number). If they keep this rate up, they'll get to #17,849 (last reported US pre-price-increase reservation sequence number) by the end of January. This probably also applies to Cdn pre-price-increase reservation sequence numbers as well.

I think this makes good fiscal sense for Tesla.

And it will make those of us that reserved in December very happy campers!

Last edited:
I received my finalize button on 12-20-2012 completed 12-29-2012. Black Pano Roof 40KW still pondering upgrade to 60KW

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and my page says it is at the factory being built although since it is a 40 it will not be built until March

Would recommend you upgrade to 60kWH because I was in the same boat but having the ability to use the super charger just incase - is worth it!

OK, P4398 finally shat and got off the pot. Just took the plunge and finalized. Waiting on paperwork of course to sign.

Tesla's an even more amazing company than I knew. They estimate my delivery for "November 2012-December 2012". Of course, that's only if I get all the paperwork signed by 2/8/2013. LOL

Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.48.10 PM.png

I guess the "estimate" window is based on the reservation number, and not the actual time of order placement.

I don't know whats up with this DocuSign thing but to me it seems like a flaky system and you shouldn't trust that it actually works at all.
DocuSign is pretty common. Filled out all the sign on paperwork for my last two jobs with it, plus the Tesla stuff. It's been solid.

It's certainly worth making sure the stuff goes through, but there's no reason to believe it's any flakier than your internet connection.

So my boss and friend finalized on December 27th. 60 kWh pack, silver paint, tech package, standard suspension, 19' wheels, black leather, twin chargers and HPC. Today I just learned that and convinced him that super charging is exponentially better than twin chargers and an HPC so with me in his office, he called and had it changed. Thankfully it wasn't in production (standard suspension saves the day!). His date is sometime in April for now. And talk about a leap of faith. While he has a home in AZ with a 240V outlet in the garage, he doesn't even know where he will charge at his condo up here. Good thing we've got a few months to figure it out (and that our office has some J1772's).

Res #12,845 P85. Reserved in Nov 2012 and got the finalize button last week. Was expecting a July/Aug delivery but it seems many P85 res holders who have received the finalize button last week are getting Feb/Mar delivery dates, way early! Just thinking about waiting closer to the end of my 30 days hoping they'll iron out a few more of the bump and bugs...Thoughts?

Res #12,845 P85. Reserved in Nov 2012 and got the finalize button last week. Was expecting a July/Aug delivery but it seems many P85 res holders who have received the finalize button last week are getting Feb/Mar delivery dates, way early! Just thinking about waiting closer to the end of my 30 days hoping they'll iron out a few more of the bump and bugs...Thoughts?

I did the same thing. I waited 3 weeks to finalize. Be careful of the Deadline - they will raise your price. I also made a few changes but the deadline stayed the same.

Res # 13767.... received finalize button 10 am yesterday, short visit to local TM store to verify interior options and pushed the button this morning!

Now waiting for final paperwork:)

85Kw, dual chargers, 19", Pearl, black Nappa, Obeche gloss, Pano, tech pkg, sound pkg, body armor and bestof all.... Oregon NO SALES TAX!

Res # 13505... Received finalize email yesterday, but when I went to configure the new prices were showing even though I was advised in the email I have until Feb 8 to configure. Has anyone else encountered this? I hope to configure quickly but want to be sure I have getting the old pricing.

Res # 13767.... received finalize button 10 am yesterday, short visit to local TM store to verify interior options and pushed the button this morning!

Now waiting for final paperwork

85Kw, dual chargers, 19", Pearl, black Nappa, Obeche gloss, Pano, tech pkg, sound pkg, body armor and bestof all.... Oregon NO SALES TAX!

That puts me close enough to call it within 1000 numbers. Any guesses for finalize button? This coming week sometime?