Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

latest (July) Tesla price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. Going to complain as I am sure this is inconsistent behaviour. The discounted FSD price was about to go up for all cars and the respective prices and option prices. It was touted as order now (at the lower price) or add whenever you like at the higher price. I don't feel it should, therefore, be linked to the subsequent altered price recipes/menus.

Yes, they effectively cancelled the original FSD discount offer when they revised prices. So I think morally you are right. I don't think they ever intended for this to happen, but it has left early FSD adopters without any benefit for ordering it early, although it's not like you had to pay for FSD at that point or even commit to having it. Be interesting to see if they give you the FSD discount on top of the revised price. I very much doubt they would have any legal obligation, so you are relying on a goodwill gesture.

FWIW I would take the opportunity to save nearly £6k on your order by deleting FSD. IMO, having already got it on my MX, It isn't worth anything like that sort of money.

Don't rely on Tesla goodwill.

When I lost early FSD discount when I added tow, I likened it to going into a restaurant, ordering nice meal with side order then when, still not having received the meal they asked if I wanted another drink to go with the meal and I said yes, they put the cost of the side order up too.

Their response was that it was a new meal and the price had gone up since ordering.

I feel for the people who lost FSD discount, but it now means that real terms my tow hitch only cost the actual tow hit price and not an additional FSD on top of the price too. Odd though, although I'm seeing these contractions time and time again now, that some got to keep their FSD discount when adding tow, and some didn't.

Don't rely on Tesla goodwill.

When I lost early FSD discount when I added tow, I likened it to going into a restaurant, ordering nice meal with side order then when, still not having received the meal they asked if I wanted another drink to go with the meal and I said yes, they put the cost of the side order up too.

Their response was that it was a new meal and the price had gone up since ordering.

I feel for the people who lost FSD discount, but it now means that real terms my tow hitch only cost the actual tow hit price and not an additional FSD on top of the price too. Odd though, although I'm seeing these contractions time and time again now, that some got to keep their FSD discount when adding tow, and some didn't.

The increased the side order but reduced the main dish so overall the cost of the meal is less....

And also reduced the price of the finest steak such that you wished you ordered that instead. :D

• Funny
Reactions: RjbT3 and MrBadger
The increased the side order but reduced the main dish so overall the cost of the meal is less....

And also reduced the price of the finest steak such that you wished you ordered that instead. :D

I think there are a few edge cases where the new price ends up slightly more expensive overall, so they are reverting those back to the original invoice. So nobody will actually pay more, it's just that a few won't get any benefit from the later base price reduction.

Reactions: RjbT3
I think the guys at Tesla are more astute than we give them credit for. Instead of offering the cars at the current price at the first instance, they offered at a higher price. They knew that we will still buy them after 3 years waiting. After we had configured our cars and paid the additional 2k, they reduce the price before we get our cars. We then think,ooooh, the P- (and then P+) is only a bit more than the original AWD price. We then all changed to P+. Tesla marketing then congratulate themself and say job done. :rolleyes:

Does depend if the finest steak comes with a sauce you don't like ie 20 inch wheel

I think the guys at Tesla are more astute than we give them credit for. Instead of offering the cars at the current price at the first instance, they offered at a higher price. They knew that we will still buy them after 3 years waiting. After we had configured our cars and paid the additional 2k, they reduce the price before we get our cars. We then think,ooooh, the P- (and then P+) is only a bit more than the original AWD price. We then all changed to P+. Tesla marketing then congratulate themself and say job done. :rolleyes:

Think we need a poll for P- orders and what people changed them to as many including me changed to LR and some have kept P-

We then think,ooooh, the P- (and then P+)

Uh, P+ is what, 5k cheaper than in May? I think it's the other way around, they saw people switching to the P- and gave them an option to go for P+ cheaper because it's the same car for them.

Essentially confirming that the May P+ was over priced.

If they somehow tricked people into upgrading to the original 56k price then I'd agree with you.

When I lost early FSD discount when I added tow

The entire "FSD" shenanigans should be well avoided until it has a worth while feature set. Everyone is paying for a ticket to the pot at the end of the rainbow right now.

I bet you that next year lane change will be available as an incremental upgrade while the "beta" features remain in FSD camp.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I personally changed to P+. I went up to P- which would have been ideal. Performance with aero wheels. But then found P+ only a little more. But once convinced about the performance and the price is not more then the original AWD model, I did not want to go back down to the AWD. Esp when P+ is a little more again. If they started the pricing at the current level, I would have just gone for the AWD.

I personally changed to P+. I went up to P- which would have been ideal. Performance with aero wheels. But then found P+ only a little more. But once convinced about the performance and the price is not more then the original AWD model, I did not want to go back down to the AWD. Esp when P+ is a little more again. If they started the pricing at the current level, I would have just gone for the AWD.

But that is definitely NOT why they changed the pricing, lol! A more rational explanation would be that they decided to dramatically cut the margin on the P+ model to sell more of them, while reducing the number of spec options available in line with their global strategy. They clearly want to see a lot of top end performance M3s hitting the market and are therefore making them a compelling choice right now.

But that is definitely NOT why they changed the pricing, lol! A more rational explanation would be that they decided to dramatically cut the margin on the P+ model to sell more of them, while reducing the number of spec options available in line with their global strategy. They clearly want to see a lot of top end performance M3s hitting the market and are therefore making them a compelling choice right now.

Or they want it to be compelling because it reduces the number of variants they need to produce on the production line, perhaps to align orders with already created stock or to simplify the production process. There must be $millions up for grabs (benefits to production lead times, tooling costs, system change and warehousing) if they can get everyone to order the same thing?

Or they want it to be compelling because it reduces the number of variants they need to produce on the production line, perhaps to align orders with already created stock or to simplify the production process. There must be $millions up for grabs (benefits to production lead times, tooling costs, system change and warehousing) if they can get everyone to order the same thing?

Tesla have already pretty much minimised the number of model variants and at one point for a short time there were only 2 base models available, now back up to 3 again.

They are never going to get everyone to order a P model but there is obviously more margin in those compared to the lower variants. They started off with a much higher margin on the P which they have now cut right back to encourage more people to upgrade. But I'm sure they still make slightly more margin per unit on the P than they do on the SR+ (now £12,650 more expensive, while previously it was more like £20k extra). It's also good for spreading the word if there are loads of Performance and LR AWD models on the streets early on.

Yes, they effectively cancelled the original FSD discount offer when they revised prices. So I think morally you are right. I don't think they ever intended for this to happen, but it has left early FSD adopters without any benefit for ordering it early, although it's not like you had to pay for FSD at that point or even commit to having it. Be interesting to see if they give you the FSD discount on top of the revised price. I very much doubt they would have any legal obligation, so you are relying on a goodwill gesture.

I completely agree with you here. Actually, If memory serves me correctly, they dropped the FSD discount before any other UK price changes came into effect. The FSD price went up on its own as they are planning on in mid-August. I'll keep you informed on how I get on with my request/complaint.

The original email on May 1st stated the following:
"All Model 3 orders placed before 10th May will save £1,000 on Full Self‑Driving.
Deliveries will begin late June and will be prioritised based on reservation date, delivery location and configuration options."

It is because of this that I think their attitude to those who ordered FSD prior to this date feels a little unfair.

My second issue with this email is that Tesla was still giving the impression that the £1000 reservation fee (refundable on purchase/cancellation) means reservation holds priority when ordering. Interestingly, the order of that priory has switched around in subsequent communications...

More recent text:
Deliveries continue from August onwards. Priority is based on configuration options and reservation date.

Clarifying that configuration options trump reservation fee rendering reservation practically useless for the UK.

I have written to complain about both points.
I expect to hear nothing.
... and to be secretly put at the back of the queue :oops:

FWIW I would take the opportunity to save nearly £6k on your order by deleting FSD. IMO, having already got it on my MX, It isn't worth anything like that sort of money.

I am beginning to agree with your mantra on FSD. If I lose the discount, I will definitely drop it, as soon as I get a sniff of actual delivery. I'll save the £4900 cost, plus I'd get the further benefit of a lower price for the car I've ordered (so long as the 19" Sport Wheels don't then come into play)! Typical that my spec is one of the few that have increased in price overall (LRAWD/Black/19" Sport/Early FSD).

Still going to buy a Model 3 though!!

I personally changed to P+. I went up to P- which would have been ideal. Performance with aero wheels. But then found P+ only a little more. But once convinced about the performance and the price is not more than the original AWD model, I did not want to go back down to the AWD. Esp when P+ is a little more again. If they started the pricing at the current level, I would have just gone for the AWD.

Funny that I don't see the AWD as a step down from a P+/-. I just see it as an alternative I prefer. Hence still being willing to stick with my configuration as pretty much the same cost as a P+/White/Black/FSD. Although, particularly as there is no sign of my car on the horizon I am beginning to seriously consider re-ordering LRAWD/White/Black/18"/AP configuration saving me £8,860! :eek:

Reactions: Peteski
I am beginning to agree with your mantra on FSD. If I lose the discount, I will definitely drop it, as soon as I get a sniff of actual delivery. I'll save the £4900 cost, plus I'd get the further benefit of a lower price for the car I've ordered (so long as the 19" Sport Wheels don't then come into play)! Typical that my spec is one of the few that have increased in price overall (LRAWD/Black/19" Sport/Early FSD).

Another thing to note is that FSD implementation will be way behind the US due to not only regulatory approval but laws that have been implemented against it, Elon confirmed yesterday that the EU put in place measures that would prevent FSD years ago and it will take time to get this changed.

Long term FSD will get approval but I am not expecting to see it within 4 years

Funny that I don't see the AWD as a step down from a P+/-. I just see it as an alternative I prefer. Hence still being willing to stick with my configuration as pretty much the same cost as a P+/White/Black/FSD. Although, particularly as there is no sign of my car on the horizon I am beginning to seriously consider re-ordering LRAWD/White/Black/18"/AP configuration saving me £8,860! :eek:

The car is already a premium price and saving £4k by going for a LR with more miles makes a lot of sense to me especially as the only difference that I am interested in is the 1.2sec 0-60 which realistically can't be used in most driving situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: RjbT3 and Peteski
@RjbT3 ha, ha I see you also noticed the subtle change regarding Tesla delivery priorities. Reservation number has basically now just become a tie-breaker. As I mentioned in another thread, back in 2016 when Tesla were working on a custom order basis, a reservation made perfect sense and would have been worth its weight in gold today had they been still producing cars to specific custom orders. But now they have very recently changed to post production VIN matching it has a lot less relevance. At least it was only a grand!

Only the gullible and those with incurable FOMO should really stick with FSD! What FSD actually offers today over basic AP is a lot less than you might imagine and for all the talk of pushing up the future price, the reality is that (like most new tech) it has been getting cheaper over time. Basic AP is now even included for free.

When we come to replace our MX in 2022 I will take another look at FSD then. I've ordered my M3 without it, which was a very easy decision. The only way they could perhaps convince me to buy into FSD today is if it was something you could keep for life beyond your current car, like they once did with free supercharging.

The FOMO brigade are relying almost entirely on future FSD functionality and increased pricing, which may just about be worthwhile for those keeping their cars for 10+ years.

I’ve just seen in the Facebook group that someone on P- got their price amended. Just wondering if anyone else had that happen today? I’m not a P- order but interesting all the same.

7D7742A8-8D33-44C6-93C8-00529D9D3683.jpeg