Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

latest (July) Tesla price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changed my Red P3- (no FSD) to LRAWD White Paint/Black Interior

now - £46340 - STD WHITE
was - £54840 - RED
Diff: £8500.

Minus £3500 government grant
£42840
and £2000 deposit:-
£40840

Phoned 0800 756 9960 option 2 and waited. Went through to another country (Holland/Denmark?) who tried to internally redirect me but eventually took details for a phone back. Tesla UK phoned back very quickly.

UK person I spoke to seemed switched on. Had worked in UK and Europe (when first EU cars came in). Said that when they first came in to Europe everyone was astonished how quickly they were processed and insisted August most likely / latest would be early September for deliveries. I said I found it hard to believe but he seemed sure. I asked him to put a note saying if early August I would take car, but late August would wait for next plate - which he said many people were doing - so only releasing cars in late August to those who are keen.

Reasons for change of P3Dminus to 3LRAWD / LR3D:-

1. Didn't want big wheels, small tyres
    1. Family don't want bumps - 18" wheels have more give in the tyres
    2. UK roads / potholes - tyre/wheel damage (+bumps)
    3. Traffic calming/industrial estates where cars with low profile tyres slow to a crawl and poverty spec cars are fine.
    4. Big tyres / 18 inch wheels more efficient - range anxiety / ability to blip throttle occasionally without worrying about range.
  2. Didn't want big brakes
    1. I might be wrong, but I read that performance brakes need to warm up before they brake efficiently - with regenerative braking, would they ever get warm when I need them on the road? Especially in winter or might they be a bit unpredictable? [don't flame, I have to work with info I have to hand]
    2. Regen suits my style of driving - I think.
  3. Family mildly terrified of performance, I want my other half to be confident driving it.
  4. 0-60 tests seem to show not much in it - that the LRAWD figures are better than published and Performance 0-60 published figure might not be comparative as it has that first few cm start whereas others don't. I also saw some videos which seemed to show P3D+ having faster acceleration than advertised. Almost motorbike territory for both cars though.
  5. Cheaper insurance (possibly). I'll have a new driver to put on to insurance in a year or two.
  6. Family didn't want anything too showy (so not RED then....)

Reasons I wanted P3D+ (but overruled by above)
  1. FAST
  2. I've changed jobs and feel that I benefit from projecting an image (always avoided previously) / having conversation starter
  3. Wanted to treat myself (I don't do it often!).
  4. Possibly a rarer car?

Why I didn't choose SR+

Car tax. Unfortunately, TESLA have probably directed me towards a more expensive car. If they rename 'Delivery and Documentation' to 'Documentation' and avoid Luxury Car Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) by being under £40k - then might switch. BUT - they have probably stopped me buying a Y as a second car when it is available. Second car will probably be a smaller one (Zoe?). I'll hire something bigger when I need it.

Why not FSD - cost / features. Hard to predict future, I would like my car to be out earning while I'm not using it - but looking to buy in a sale or when that's likely.

How long will I keep the car? Probably a LONG time.

I haven't ordered a EVSE (charger) yet - but since it's possible that I won't get the car until November or even later, I don't fancy repaying the grant.

Tesla told me that I would be contacted by them 2 weeks ahead of delivery and can pay the day before to minimise problems with payments (I will be paying from two different business bank accounts as over transaction limits).

This is a Business purchase (cash as far as Tesla is concerned) by a small limited company consultancy. This gets 100% First Year Allowance write down - this is worth telling your employer (unless they purely do lease). Check some of the options including salary sacrifice. I think some of the schemes save Employers National Insurance too?

Just had a follow up call in the middle of my run and they are reverting me back to my original order agreement, but we will see what gets emailed through.
Just had a few emails from Tesla ref FSD.Choice either keep higher price invoice with FSD at £4.9k or take new lower price car with FSD at £5.8k.They said make a choice.Not fair but went for second option saving £660.They are NOT honouring £4.9K fsd with new lower price

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
Just had a few emails from Tesla ref FSD.Choice either keep higher price invoice with FSD at £4.9k or take new lower price car with FSD at £5.8k.They said make a choice.Not fair but went for second option saving £660.They are NOT honouring £4.9K fsd with new lower price
We were in a similar boat when we switched our orders from initial LRAWD to P-... if we wanted the new deal we needed to go for the whole deal... which I think is fair.. they already have their hands full with orders as is.. imagine they had to compile custom deals for every customer...

Imagine how the first P3D customers must feel - they paid 10k more for their cars...

Changed my Red P3- (no FSD) to LRAWD White Paint/Black Interior

now - £46340 - STD WHITE
was - £54840 - RED
Diff: £8500.

I think you need to check those numbers again. No way is there an £8,500 saving going from P- to LR AWD even accounting for the change from red to free white. Are you sure you haven't counted the grant twice on the cheaper spec?

Reactions: ediflyer
I think you need to check those numbers again. No way is there an £8,500 saving going from P- to LR AWD even accounting for the change from red to free white. Are you sure you haven't counted the grant twice on the cheaper spec?

Well, I am tired... you're right.

Thanks.

I don't have any documents yet / Tesla account hasn't updated and went through with Tesla call centre where I said about taking off the £3500 and he said yes.

Incognito window of a NEW config says :-
  • Cash Price £46,340
  • Includes VAT of approx. £8,307
  • Includes destination and documentation fee of £850
  • Includes £3,500 UK Plug-In Car Grant

So saving is now £5000 - £1900 of which is the red => standard white colour change, so real saving is £3100.

So to put it another way....

£54840 vs
£49840 +£1900 for red equivalent would be £51740

How much could I sell 20" wheels/tyres for? How much would Tesla 19" or non Tesla 19"/18" wheels/tyres cost? Is it worth getting the P and selling/swapping the wheel/tyres?

Tesla Update: Pricing for your Model 3 has been adjusted. The total will be brought down in your Tesla Account shortly to reflect current pricing at www.tesla.com. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

Interesting... as I checked and my spec now would actually be £90 more (paint & FSD gone up). Looks like they may refund me base price changes even when other options have gone up...
I had the same text followed by an updated "order agreement" increasing my overall price by £90. Pretty annoyed about this. I would have been happy to stay as I was and pay the price for my original order. However, Tesla seems happy to pass on the saving for new base model prices, whilst at the same time, charging me more for Black Paint (included at the time I ordered) and the full price for FSD, when I made sure I ordered before the price increase as per their promotional email. Putting my overall price up when they clearly stated the total would be brought down.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I had the same text followed by an updated "order agreement" increasing my overall price by £90. Pretty annoyed about this. I would have been happy to stay as I was and pay the price for my original order. However, Tesla seems happy to pass on the saving for new base model prices, whilst at the same time, charging me more for Black Paint (included at the time I ordered) and the full price for FSD, when I made sure I ordered before the price increase as per their promotional email. Putting my overall price up when they clearly stated the total would be brought down.
I emailed, they said they will honour original price.

Why not FSD - cost / features. Hard to predict future, I would like my car to be out earning while I'm not using it - but looking to buy in a sale or when that's likely.

Agree with your points in the post above about choosing LR.

If you want to make money with the auto pilot taxi business then you don't want 20 inch rims going round with the potential of getting damaged and nobody knowing about it until you check the car. Secondly when FSD taxi is available there is no way that Tesla wouldn't allow all cars to be on the network at some increased cost, ie a much higher percentage take than if you have purchased FSD, of course many might complain if they already purchased FSD just for the Robotaxi.

that means the charge for the 19" alloys comes to £1450 - correct.So AWD LR reduction in price applied - well done Tesla
Not the same for me.

CHARGING £5800 FSD therefore discount is £1560 - £900 fsd extra = £660

I've just received the new order agreement with the lower price. Now there is a new issue regarding FSD. I ordered prior to the price increase and now it has increased in the latest agreement. This just gets more and more ridiculous.

Agree!

I’ve just had an email from Tesla with my revised order agreement to reflect the new pricing. £1560 reduction for me, so it’s almost like getting my red paint for free ;)

Happy bunny :D

No phone call yet though :(

I emailed, they said they will honour original price.

I didn't ask for any spec or price changes and yet I received a text telling me my cost will be reduced. It has subsequently been increased, due to Tesla arbitrarily deciding to cancel my FSD discount. If they are setting a precedent by automatically passing lower prices onto unfulfilled existing orders for orders without any spec changes, then they should also honour the initial discount applied to FSD. I haven't asked for any price adjustments to be applied.

If you ordered a P- black car you don't automatically get the price increase applied when you haven't asked for any changes.

The FSD price adjustment was clearly advised (and indeed advertised via email) ahead of time to secure some early orders before May 10th. This was not an unannounced price adjustment and should remain unaffected by subsequent price adjustments (for the cars and other options) when a customer has made no spec change or cancelled and re-ordered to take advantage of price drops. Yet, they also seem happy to pass on lower prices to other customers who have also made no spec changes. Very odd behaviour.

On the one hand, they are saying customers who have ordered cars and options which have seen price drops can automatically have these adjustments applied to their order. However, customers who have options which have undergone price increases will also have these automatically applied to their orders. If a customer wants to change an order they need to accept the price increases and drops alike, this makes sense. What doesn't is when one customer receives a price drop without requesting a change and another who also hasn't requested a change doesn't, for the same options.

EG. A customer order, with or without FSD, with black paint and LRAWD gets a large price drop without requesting any spec change, re-order or a price drop. At the same time, another customer with exactly the same spec and also without requesting any changes etc. receives no price drop. Neither customer has a VIN allocated or a confirmed delivery date.

I ordered before the price change, they have reduced the base price of the AWD car. When I ordered it had homelink, they have since removed this and it’s now an option. Will they still honour the original car spec with homelink. If not that’s a £300 difference so any saving is reduced.

Not the same for me.

Agree!

I didn't ask for any spec or price changes and yet I received a text telling me my cost will be reduced. It has subsequently been increased, due to Tesla arbitrarily deciding to cancel my FSD discount. If they are setting a precedent by automatically passing lower prices onto unfulfilled existing orders for orders without any spec changes, then they should also honour the initial discount applied to FSD. I haven't asked for any price adjustments to be applied.

If you ordered a P- black car you don't automatically get the price increase applied when you haven't asked for any changes.

The FSD price adjustment was clearly advised (and indeed advertised via email) ahead of time to secure some early orders before May 10th. This was not an unannounced price adjustment and should remain unaffected by subsequent price adjustments (for the cars and other options) when a customer has made no spec change or cancelled and re-ordered to take advantage of price drops. Yet, they also seem happy to pass on lower prices to other customers who have also made no spec changes. Very odd behaviour.

On the one hand, they are saying customers who have ordered cars and options which have seen price drops can automatically have these adjustments applied to their order. However, customers who have options which have undergone price increases will also have these automatically applied to their orders. If a customer wants to change an order they need to accept the price increases and drops alike, this makes sense. What doesn't is when one customer receives a price drop without requesting a change and another who also hasn't requested a change doesn't, for the same options.

EG. A customer order, with or without FSD, with black paint and LRAWD gets a large price drop without requesting any spec change, re-order or a price drop. At the same time, another customer with exactly the same spec and also without requesting any changes etc. receives no price drop. Neither customer has a VIN allocated or a confirmed delivery date.

You agreed to buy a product at a certain price. Subsequently that price has changed, so you have the choice to cancel and reorder or stick with your original order at the original price.
Whilst I would love a reduction as well, I can't see a reason for Tesla to give me one...

• Disagree
Homelink is a tricky one for me. I really like that feature, if it works. But I don't know if it will work. Not a problem if it was 'free', but if I had to buy it and it then didn't work, it would be wasted £300 - we would just use things as we do already rather to throw good money after bad and upgrade things that we may or may not be able to do. Its not an everyday thing, so the inconvenience of having to go inside the house just to open the garage door to put something inside happened a couple of times per month. But it would be nice to be able to pull up at our shared gate at holiday appt and not have to fumble for fob that currently dangles from key on dashboard.