Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

latest (July) Tesla price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, on your invoice do you still see

Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance

But at a lower price than £52,090 (which is the price on mine)? Then the Performance Upgrade Pack listed at £2,050?

Order agreement as follows:-

Model 3 LR AWD Performance £50,590
Performance Upgrade £2,050
White interior £950
Delivery £850

Total £54,440
grant £3,500

Net total £50,940

£3100 difference for the P- black over the LR white for just a 1 second speed increase is a lot to ask, think I will be switching to the LR as not sure I will get much chance to try out the 162mph max speed that often, however the P+ is tempting :/

Actually £3,100 would be an absolute bargain in the ICE world for an extra 100 hp and 100 lbft of torque. But if you don't actually want it then you may as well downgrade to LR and save a few grand.

However, if you think another 100 hp / 100 lbft and track mode (allows a bit of sideways action) would be fun then a P+ is now a no-brainer at the revised price. As much as I think P- was the best compromise for everyday road use, I'm not paying more for it than P+ (which is the case with a white order - now £900 LESS than the previous P- price).

Don't hold your breath, Elon does a lot of talking. As of today AP merrily steams straight over any potholes in its path so best get a few spare wheels lined up if you intend to rely on AP on dodgy roads. Pothole avoidance is way beyond the capability of the current system and I expect current hardware too. It struggles right now to tell the difference between a vehicle and a shadow on the road.

Don't hold your breath, Elon does a lot of talking. As of today AP merrily steams straight over any potholes in its path so best get a few spare wheels lined up if you intend to rely on AP on dodgy roads. Pothole avoidance is way beyond the capability of the current system and I expect current hardware too. It struggles right now to tell the difference between a vehicle and a shadow on the road.

The key word in your statement is 'right now', all it takes is enough time and data to train the neural network on pothole recognition. I don't agree that the hardware isn't capable, (the human eye has less resolution and processes less frames per second and you only have 2 of them) its currently not even using the full 60fps 720p available from the camera's (although the AP 3.0 hardware is now capable of using it, suspect that will change in the next few months)

Reactions: ediflyer
The key word in your statement is 'right now', all it takes is enough time and data to train the neural network on pothole recognition. I don't agree that the hardware isn't capable, (the human eye has less resolution and processes less frames per second and you only have 2 of them) its currently not even using the full 60fps 720p available from the camera's (although the AP 3.0 hardware is now capable of using it, suspect that will change in the next few months)

So what's your guess on AP being able to drive around potholes? Next week, next month, next year or longer? I'm firmly in the "it's not going to happen while I own this car" camp i.e. 5+ years.

Interesting how you compare machine vs human in terms of "capability". I'm pretty convinced I have a much better understanding of the world around my car than AP ever will in the next decade or more. I agree on resolution, but not so much on taking appropriate action.

Tesla Update: Pricing for your Model 3 has been adjusted. The total will be brought down in your Tesla Account shortly to reflect current pricing at www.tesla.com. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

Interesting... as I checked and my spec now would actually be £90 more (paint & FSD gone up). Looks like they may refund me base price changes even when other options have gone up...

Reactions: RjbT3
Tesla Update: Pricing for your Model 3 has been adjusted. The total will be brought down in your Tesla Account shortly to reflect current pricing at www.tesla.com. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

Interesting... as I checked and my spec now would actually be £90 more (paint & FSD gone up). Looks like they may refund me base price changes even when other options have gone up...
I got this too, but the Order Agreement has not changed. I will keep watch.

So what's your guess on AP being able to drive around potholes? Next week, next month, next year or longer? I'm firmly in the "it's not going to happen while I own this car" camp i.e. 5+ years.

Interesting how you compare machine vs human in terms of "capability". I'm pretty convinced I have a much better understanding of the world around my car than AP ever will in the next decade or more. I agree on resolution, but not so much on taking appropriate action.
It's worth remembering that it's not only the number of cameras, resolution and framerate, it's also the AI that determines what is a pothole and what is a manhole cover, a bit of discoloured tarmac, a shadow (e.g. from a light pole), etc. Humans miss potholes when we know exactly what they look like in daily life, a machine will have problems for some time I think.

Reactions: Roy W.

There two different things going on here and they are very different.

1. Hardware, sensors (cameras) on the car which out number and out perform the human equivalent
2. Software, i.e. the brain (the deep neural network / AI) making decisions

Today, no one could argue that the human brain is *WAY* superior to even the most complex neural network that has been built, but essentially if you compare the architecture of a deep neural network to the human brain, there isn't a lot of difference, other than the human brain is vastly more complex in terms of depth of the neural network and this is mostly due to the fact that its had a lot of "training".

Given time and priority of course, if Tesla wanted to solve the pothole problem they could and yes it could easily be done within 5 years, but it depends on their priorities, there are many other areas which are arguably more important.

The training of a neural network is the difficult and time consuming part of AI.

Finally managed to speak to someone about my P3- order.
Although, I've got a VIN, they confirm that my car is still on the dock at SFO, so no delivery for me in August.
In light of that, I can't see any reason to not change to the P3+ in white. Tesla rep was quite happy to change my order there and then, and take the £550 off me. However, mine is a lease car, so I'm guessing they would be none too happy.

I've tried getting a straight answer out of both Octopus and SG Fleet, but no luck so far. Tesla rep said that SG could simply phone in and modify the order. That way, I'd not lose my place in the queue, and my referrals would be intact.

I'm hoping that they'll do this, and save me the hassle of cancelling in the cooling off period, and going through the whole process again.

Has anyone else managed to get some sense out of their leasing company?

Just got this back from Tesla

Thank for your email.

We are currently working through orders and will actively update the pricing on the orders which are eligible for the new price book. I can confirm your order will be eligible and will receive the new pricing update.

As soon as this has been done, a new order agreement reflecting the new pricing will be uploaded to your My Tesla account.
What email address do you use for contact, seems difficult to find

There two different things going on here and they are very different.

1. Hardware, sensors (cameras) on the car which out number and out perform the human equivalent
2. Software, i.e. the brain (the deep neural network / AI) making decisions

Today, no one could argue that the human brain is *WAY* superior to even the most complex neural network that has been built, but essentially if you compare the architecture of a deep neural network to the human brain, there isn't a lot of difference, other than the human brain is vastly more complex in terms of depth of the neural network and this is mostly due to the fact that its had a lot of "training".

Given time and priority of course, if Tesla wanted to solve the pothole problem they could and yes it could easily be done within 5 years, but it depends on their priorities, there are many other areas which are arguably more important.

The training of a neural network is the difficult and time consuming part of AI.

For true literal FSD, reliable pothole and other small object avoidance would be essential. Otherwise your robo-taxi or whatever would quickly be put out of action. I don't take any notice of Elon's promises anymore (specifically regarding FSD) as he's been way off the mark so far. If you went off his previous history, proper FSD would have been a reality for a couple of years already. Sometimes I think people believe every single one of Elon's dreams just because he got a few things spot on. I just don't think FSD is one of them. Or at least not close to the timescales being touted.

also have a P- on order and requested a change to P nothing from OctopusEV , Cooling period is that even written in the SGfleet contract ?

Finally managed to speak to someone about my P3- order.
Although, I've got a VIN, they confirm that my car is still on the dock at SFO, so no delivery for me in August.
In light of that, I can't see any reason to not change to the P3+ in white. Tesla rep was quite happy to change my order there and then, and take the £550 off me. However, mine is a lease car, so I'm guessing they would be none too happy.

I've tried getting a straight answer out of both Octopus and SG Fleet, but no luck so far. Tesla rep said that SG could simply phone in and modify the order. That way, I'd not lose my place in the queue, and my referrals would be intact.

I'm hoping that they'll do this, and save me the hassle of cancelling in the cooling off period, and going through the whole process again.

Has anyone else managed to get some sense out of their leasing company?

As long as it doesn't swerve to miss the pothole and hit the raised kerb, in coming car or cyclist.

also have a P- on order and requested a change to P nothing from OctopusEV , Cooling period is that even written in the SGfleet contract ?
All credit agreements of this type are required to have a 14 day cooling off period by law (Consumer Credit Act 1974).
The agreement doesn't mention that right explicity, but it does mention that it is regulated by Consumer Credit Act on pages 1, 2 and 3. The act is what gives you the cooling off period.

The interesting clause for this particular situation is 6.3, which says that they can terminate the agreement if the price of the vehicle increases during the period of 21 days following the signing of the agreement. If you try to upgrade to the new performance, the cost increases by £550, so they are within their rights to terminate this particular agreement and make you sign up to a new one.

Octopus have been very quiet on this. I've sent several e-mails to them, and only had one response which says that they're looking into it and can't re-quote as they don't yet have rates for the new version of the car.

If I don't get an answer by tomorrow afternoon, then I'll be exercising my right to terminate the agreement. I'll just have to take the risk that the lease rates don't go up. Personally, I would have hoped that SG would jump at the chance to change my order, as it means they won't be stuck with a devalued asset, and I'll still be a happy customer.

I'll let you know how it goes.

The current AP doesn't show what the future will be like. No one outside Tesla has HW3 and also the new NN-derived software.

Which phone number are people using in order to speak to Tesla about delivery? The customer service number I try only talks about road side assistance and super charging problems.

Some people are being told about August delivery and I have heard nothing. No text, calls or email from Tesla. My account has not shifted since May. I would just like to know if there is a chance it will be on the next ship. I had a vin in the source code ages ago 40xxxx but has recently changed to 44xxxx. But I think this is probably meaningless!