Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes agree, not encouraging anyone to break the law, what's the max speed you have done so far with your Tesla?

Since the fines are 15/30/45 km/h above, going 155 or faster on the Lantau Expressway would be the same fine. Ticket.

Silly, it's called fine and ticket. It's neither fine to speed, nor is the ticket something that gives you admission anywhere.

Anyway, I didn't try in Hong Kong as there is no free speed limit, but the car I rented in Germany which is almost identical to mine, topped out at 204 km/h on the German autobahn.

Since the fines are 15/30/45 km/h above, going 155 or faster on the Lantau Expressway would be the same fine. Ticket.

Silly, it's called fine and ticket. It's neither fine to speed, nor is the ticket something that gives you admission anywhere.

Anyway, I didn't try in Hong Kong as there is no free speed limit, but the car I rented in Germany which is almost identical to mine, topped out at 204 km/h on the German autobahn.
if you do x2 the speed limit it is 1 year ban.
50km to over 100km
70km to over 140km
80km to over 160km
100km to over 200km
110km to over 220km

I heard that speed cut of Tesla is by temperature (motor winding/bearing, battery or electronic?) therefore max speed is probably meaningless unless they state how long that speed can be sustained. Again, luckily, there isn't long straight road here for anyone to legally test it.

Tesla is kind of like first generation iPhone, some described it as a massive battery with wheels. Now competition is catching up VW Debuts The Golf R Touch With All-Touchscreen User Interface, Gesture Control | TechCrunch

Big touchscreen will be a standard feature very soon!

Gesture control won't work well in markets where arms are used a lot in general communication. Can you imagine someone talking while driving, and suddenly the car changes lane because that person is describing how s/he enjoyed the music at the opera? I like the touch screen but gesture? Interesting to see how they implement that.

- - - Updated - - -

if you do x2 the speed limit it is 1 year ban.
50km to over 100km
70km to over 140km
80km to over 160km
100km to over 200km
110km to over 220km

Double up is quite fast, yes. So for Lantau expressway, where the limit is 110, whether you are going 156 or 219 km/h, it will be the same penalty. I am surprised how often large trucks pass me at high speed, even today, just before the Lantau auto toll payment area (going towards the city), a truck passed on the inside where it was speed limit 80 km/h, then 50 km/h, and just before the payment area he was going around 120-130 km/h. Not an agile sports car with performance brakes, but a huge truck, charging towards those narrow gates at high speed. I have never seen that in other countries, apart from China. In all of Europe, trucks have speed limiters so they can never go faster than 85 km/h, and they must record continuously what speed they are going (for historic control at any time)

Now we are talking traffic: Driving around the Tung Chung estates today, there were a lot of intersections and exits/entries, where there are double white lines in the middle. Everyone were crossing them all the time, but is it OK to cross double white lines for entry/exit, and when doing a right turn at an intersection?

Tung Chung - left and right.jpg

Here is an example above, I stole it from Google Maps. For some very odd reason, there were a group of people walking across the road, exactly the same spot as in the picture. I was driving slowly up the right lane and they only saw me at the last moment (I was prepared to stop of course, but they saw me and veered towards the side of the road).

Anyway, imagine you are coming from the left side of the picture, and you want to turn right. We can see the arrows pointing left and right, so obviously it must be legal - however, to turn right, one has to cross the double white lines, or drive in the wrong side of the road. In other places of the world, those double white lines would have been "perforated" to indicated OK to cross (but not to overtake)

As we saw at the Rally on the 14th of December, crossing the double white lines will give a fine and 3 points to the license (!!!) - no names mentioned!

Tesla is kind of like first generation iPhone, some described it as a massive battery with wheels. Now competition is catching up VW Debuts The Golf R Touch With All-Touchscreen User Interface, Gesture Control | TechCrunch

Big touchscreen will be a standard feature very soon!

Detroit Electric SP:01 Sports Car: Final Design Announced

2015-detroit-electric-sp01_100495915_l.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 68572

Here is an example above, I stole it from Google Maps. For some very odd reason, there were a group of people walking across the road, exactly the same spot as in the picture. I was driving slowly up the right lane and they only saw me at the last moment (I was prepared to stop of course, but they saw me and veered towards the side of the road).

Anyway, imagine you are coming from the left side of the picture, and you want to turn right. We can see the arrows pointing left and right, so obviously it must be legal - however, to turn right, one has to cross the double white lines, or drive in the wrong side of the road. In other places of the world, those double white lines would have been "perforated" to indicated OK to cross (but not to overtake)

As we saw at the Rally on the 14th of December, crossing the double white lines will give a fine and 3 points to the license (!!!) - no names mentioned!

Core,

There is a simplistic transport department description:http://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety/road_users_code/index/chapter_5_for_all_drivers/double_white_lines_/index.html.

The actual legislation is CAP 374G regulation 11 (double white lines): http://www.legislation.gov.hk/blis_pdf.nsf/6799165D2FEE3FA94825755E0033E532/600E639993377DF6482575EE0077C931/$FILE/CAP_374G_e_b5.pdf

The exceptions to crossing a solid white line are:

(3) Where continuous double white lines or a continuous white line with a broken white line is placed on a carriageway the driver of a vehicle may permit his vehicle to be on or over or across the continuous double white lines or continuous white line with a broken white line if it is necessary to do so in order-
(a) to conform with a direction given-
(i) by a traffic sign or road marking; or
(ii) by a police officer in uniform or traffic warden in uniform;
(b) to avoid colliding with any vehicle, object, obstruction, animal or person; or
(c) subject to subregulation (4), to make a right turn into or out of any road, premises or place adjacent to the carriageway.

(4) Subregulation (3)(c) shall not authorize a driver to drive his vehicle on, over or across the continuous double white lines or the continuous white line with a broken white line (if the continuous white line is nearer to the vehicle) where the road marking is separating vehicles proceeding in the same direction. (L.N. 221 of 1986)

Interestingly, it seems that our friend could probably have argued 3(c) if he had just turned right and driven head first into the parking space. It was the U-turn that made it naughty.

Last edited:

It's often useful to have a few quickly designed copies, to help define the reference. Too bad there isn't more innovation in China, they could easily come up with something they created themselves instead of just copying.

Here is a post from October 2013 about how China copies cars, and what it would mean for Tesla Motors: Now That Elon Musk Has Brought Tesla Motors Into China, Are Chinese Knock-Offs More Likely? - Forbes

BYD-BMW.jpg

Now 1 1/2 year later, it is clear that Tesla Motors don't have a sales problem - their main issue is to source a sufficient amount of batteries, hence, the upcoming Gigafactory.

The more choice of EVs, the better, except for those EVs that are so bad they make all EVs look bad.

This car has a fish tank. I hope the doors are designed well, or the whole car will become a fish tank the first time it rains.

After Elon explicitly said that hydrogen fuel cell is dangerous, Toyota says ....

(video)

That's all good - ahem. Kind of.

Hydrogen stored at 10,000 PSI to keep it compact and liquid. Right.

Sure hydrogen evaporates and rises when escaping, so

- WHEN there is a (smaller) leak (beyond that leaking that always occur with hydrogen) and IF the car is outside in the open and IF there is no ignition source, THEN it will be safe.

In a crash between a gas(online) and hydrogen car - gasoline/petrol leak fuel onto the ground, which then keeps burning and can fuel a fire for a while. Hydrogen comes out in one go, all at a time (as it is said in the video), and IF there are not a single spark in that crash (which is - unlikely unless both cars are made entirely of plastic) - THEN the hydrogen will simply escape into free air in a split second.

If there IS a spark, however, that whole amount of hydrogen, maybe 50 to 100 kWh worth, will ignite in an even smaller split second, and the whole neighbourhood will evaporate. Your own private mobile mini-hydrogen bomb, wow!

Petrol/gas car fires are cruel, yet you might have a chance to run away from it. Some times, some people sadly die in the process of a petrol/gas car fire. If the contents of a hydrogen tank is emptied and ignited, you will probably want to be a few km away from the scene - at least.

If you fill a balloon with hydrogen NOT EVEN under pressure, which is a tiny, minuscule fraction of what a hydrogen fuel cell car tank holds, it looks like this (watch from 2 minutes into the video):

WHEN this happens the first time for a hydrogen fuel cell car, it will likely be the day the hydrogen fuel cell cars are moved from the streets and into museums.

What happens when a Tesla Model S crashed? It speaks to you and says "Please pull over and park at the nearest convenience, then leave the vehicle and contact emergency services"

Despite some fiery crashes with drunks, drug addicts and car thieves - and a Model S hitting a larger blunt metal object on the freeway - only one person have died so far, and that was a car thief who drove a Model S at over 100 mph into three cars and then a building. And he didn't even die instantly, only a few days later. Car thief becomes first person to die in a Tesla Model S crash | The Verge

So have your pick.

Battery Electric Vehicles are the cleanest, safest and most efficient. And they are open to any energy source as anything can be converted into electricity. Whereas gas/petrol, diesel, natural gas or hydrogen cars all depend on their single source of energy (or energy carrier) for the life of that car.

And I didn't even mention that in order to make hydrogen, so much energy is lost that a hydrogen car needs 4 times as much energy as a BEV to drive the same distance.

In my village we have a saying ... we call that to cross the stream to collect water.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSI is pounds per square inch. 10,000psi is 10 imperial tons of pressure per square inch. Or, 680 times the atmospheric pressure.

Saying that the hydrogen is released quickly being safer that if it was released slowly is a) rubbish (it depends on whether the leak is small/catastrophic), and b) like saying that an explosion is safer than a fire.

Forget the flammability of the gas, just imagine what would happen if the pressure vessel failed.

Why do we use helium in dirigibles, not hydrogen?
Why do we use helium in party balloons, not hydrogen?
Why do we use helium for technical deep scuba diving, not hydrogen?

In all three cases, hydrogen performs better, is cheaper, and is much easier to obtain that helium.

The answer, of course, is that hydrogen is incredibly dangerous. At atmospheric pressure, mix it with more than 4% oxygen and you have an explosive mixture just requiring an ignition source. There is 21% oxygen in the air around us.

Oh, and hydrogen today is not made by electrolysis of water. It is made from natural gas (a fossil fuel).