Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Update, But What EXACTLY has CHANGED?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did another update today, which was 6.1(2.2.1xx). A couple of hours later, I went back to my MS and saw successful, so I sat in the car, looking through the update notes. After the 1st 6.1 update, the 2 subsequent ones look like somebody just sent out the same canned release notes about 6.1 in general. I haven't seen what the subsequent 2 updates have modified. How do I know what they fix, or incorporate, when it looks like the same boilerplate canned message. Yeah, all of the 6.1 updates talk about the same TACC, scheduler, pre-conditioning, etc changes, but nary anything else.

The Over The Air Firmware Updates are a really nice feature. I like it. Maybe I looked and it was right in front of me on the update notes (My wife sometimes says... I told you, it's right there in front of you.... If it was a snake, it would have bit you!), but I looked and spent some time scrolling through them, and it didn't appear to me. When I read the same intro, my eyes started to glaze over, again, and I'm a technology type of guy.

I really think ANY update should tell me at a glance as to what was 'fixed' or improved. I would even take a simple description about it such as 'MegaJoule Flux Capacitor Discharge Rate increased' :wink:

But, what I'd prefer is a thread or sticky, or Section that indicates the following

(The following is completely FICTIONAL)

Version Release Date VIN/Model Affected Description

6.1 (1.1.2) Jan 1, 2014 All Changed the Avatar Tesla logo to 2% larger
6.1 (1.7.44) Jan 18, 2015 51000 Up with Plano Roof Changed Sunroof Screen Color
6.1 (2.1.1) Jan 31, 2015 60000 Up Changed Acceleration timing to beat Hellcats
6.1 (2.2.100) Feb 1, 2015 51500 Up with Autopilot Changed TACC proximity interval 7 (Little Old Lady Distance) to 1 (I Can Reach Out and Touch Your Charging Port Door Distance)

I did a search, and didn't find anything. Sure, it would be a bit more work for Tesla, but it's not like only 1 person is involved in firmware development, testing and releasing the firmware updates.

I would even appreciate something less informative and more general, such as Media Player Update, or Temp Monitoring Update.

What's your thoughts, and has Tesla ever addressed this in any way?

Scotty

We have such a thing here... it is a WIKI Changelog of the Software/Firmware at this link....Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Also there is a hardware options changelog at this link...Model S options by year - a running history - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

There is some really great info in the WIKI area that many TMC members overlook.

You are not alone with the wish that TM would supply some amount of information on each dot point minor firmware release. They have not done so up to this point other than with major releases where the release notes are changed. So you are not alone in this request.

At the top of the Model S User Interface Forum there usually is a sticky for the latest major firmware release.
Therein, amongst the many posts are some posts that "actually" indicated observed changes and new behaviors. Sure there are a bunch of ME TOO posts and back and forth discussions but you can pick up the flow of the releases' apparent effect on the S.

Bear in mind that, at present, the dual motor cars and their current teething behaviors should not be confused with the single motor cars' as far as firmware effects on the automobile and its dynamics. TM is just now rolling out TS or Torque Sleep for the dual motor Model S cars, and seems to be refining that implementation with some quick dot point maintenance releases. (from what I have seen as an observer who has no Model S at this time).

Hope this Helps?

Last edited:
Tesla has said a few times that it doesn't expect to publish detailed release notes for every release, only the stuff that majorly modifies behavior. The goal for them is to make it consumer-simple. If they did release anything, it would likely be "minor bug fixes" or perhaps "minor bug fixes for the entertainment system, drivetrain, and cabin comfort systems", which still wouldn't tell you much.

It's a balance between appeasing the engineering-types who would like the software commit logs, and the more average consumer. :) Think of it like Apple approaches iOS updates; there are a few major announcements of big features, but most of the little things aren't known to the users.

Tesla has said a few times that it doesn't expect to publish detailed release notes for every release, only the stuff that majorly modifies behavior. The goal for them is to make it consumer-simple. If they did release anything, it would likely be "minor bug fixes" or perhaps "minor bug fixes for the entertainment system, drivetrain, and cabin comfort systems", which still wouldn't tell you much.

It's a balance between appeasing the engineering-types who would like the software commit logs, and the more average consumer. :) Think of it like Apple approaches iOS updates; there are a few major announcements of big features, but most of the little things aren't known to the users.

I could accept that as far as the in car release notes go. They could, however, publish more detailed release notes somewhere under My Tesla on the website for the more inquiring minds among us...

Mike

I could accept that as far as the in car release notes go. They could, however, publish more detailed release notes somewhere under My Tesla on the website for the more inquiring minds among us...

Mike

I was thinking of that myself - similar to the developers' notes that you'll get from Apple. Perhaps we need the API's first. :)

I didn't see the WIKI firmware info. It wasn't overlooked.... I didn't find it when I searched. I still have issues with firmware upgrades.

When the release notes state: It is Important to read these Release Notes so that you understand how these changes affect the operation of your vehicle. I think that details of the changes is in order... just a synopsis of the Release as to what was affected. Something that is directly from the 'Tesla Firmware Dept' and not just an observation, like the WIKI 61.(2.2.167) comment of 'It seems ....".
I don't concur with the Apple iOS comment. I'm not stating that I don't understand why Tesla (or Apple, for that matter) are not putting this info out there. I'm stating that this info should be out there. As far as keeping it 'consumer-simple' and the distinction of 'the engineering-types who would like the software commit logs, and the more average consumer', I don't agree. The release note is telling me stuff has changed, and please read the release notes, and yet, there's nothing really there. It's ludicrous to state this is for our benefit. After all, the difference between the engineering types and the more average consumer isn't relevant, because it's self-moderated. The same relevancy applies to almost any other technical discussion. I'm not as concerned about the dynamics of things that don't have a direct or immediate impact on me, but I sure want to be able to review it in detail should I so decide. I'll look at it, and if I don't find it relevant and/or interesting, I'll skip it. Let me determine whether it's interesting to me. I have a problem with industry or society protecting me because they know what's best for me.
I see a tremendous difference between the Apple iOS and the Tesla release comparison. My phone isn't a state of the art $100K purchase, that accelerates and brakes based on it's 'view' of the world. Sure, I have been a fan of Apple since the late 70's, but I also have been a Microsoft fan since then as well. Microsoft and the IBM model of PC's allowed me to do technical stuff on Apple and IBM PC clones, but disappeared on the Apple path with the introduction of the Macintosh. (Both good and bad). Open vs closed architecture. I have continued with both approaches, depending on want and/or need.
There's no questioning the impact of visionaries like Elon Musk and Steve Jobs, and the similarities and differences between them. Changes, they are a'comin' and we see more and more of the transitioning from a hard-wired world, to a software-controlled world. Huge impact, but that's also another whole topic.

(BTW, Open vs closed architecture is clearly the approach I'm talking about. Tesla vs the world. Sort of like their approach to dealerships (direct sales), service centers, service manuals, 3rd party repair, salvage Tesla abandonment, and spare parts availability. I'm all for their direct sales approach and service centers, but not too keen on the rest.
So, I say put the info out there. If you're of the type that your eyes glaze over glancing down the details, skip it. I'm not asking for Tesla to go too deep. Just let me know what that release does that might change how my car operates.

Finally, someone at some level at Tesla has to see which firmware applies to which Tesla, based on it's build and options. Someone is verifying the software updates are benign in threat to safe vehicle operation. How about just a little word=smithing to provide us owners with relevant information. It's not like a coverup, but more of a reveal. Let each determine how it affect them.

I do appreciate the views and comments on this. As the firmware release floodgates open, so do the questions,

Scotty

So that's boilerplate language. The standard update message says to look at the release notes, which don't get updated for minor releases. To remedy what you've pointed out, Tesla is likely to change the update message so that it says "Update complete," and makes no reference to the release notes if there aren't updated release notes. I understand how it can be confusing when it pops up old release notes and tells you that you must understand them, but it's clear it's for an older release.

Tesla has publicly said it will not provide specific change notes for minor changes and bug fixes; for example, a fix that makes album art more reliable is unlikely to be pointed out, because it's already expected behavior that gets fixed.

I can understand why Tesla takes that position, even if I would love to see more information. I work for a company whose software release notes for minor/incremental releases in its early days listed every single bug/commit ID and headline for that entry. There would frequently be 5 pages of this information, even for the most minor of bugs. Some of our customers absolutely loved that level of detail and used it for bathroom reading material; others found it a colossal waste and found zero value in it. We eventually had to make a decision to reduce the granularity of the material, just as Tesla has chosen to do.

One person might find that album art commit to be important to list in the release notes, another person would rather see only major changes / fixes.

I simply point out the approach they've chosen and why they've chosen that direction, based on their statements. As to whether it's the right decision? I think that will be subject to personal opinion.

all these small patch releases with the same major release notes are software "BUG" fixes. but Tesla isn't about to broadcast to the world that they just fixed a bunch of problems where it was possible for your brakes or steering to fail or complete random power loss under certain conditions. hence the "here's an update and we're not going to tell you what we just fixed" releases.

I got the latest downloaded today, and now I have special characters on the keyboard by pressing the main letters for a couple of secs.
I have stuff like ö, ø, ê, etc. Useful when you enter addresses in countries that use then :)