Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Update (Feb 2019)--Something has changed (for the worse)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, the requirement to verify the driver has hands on the steering wheel will not go away - and likely could get even more stringent.

Don't blame Tesla for this - blame the small percentage of drivers who tried driving "hands free" using software intended to operate only in "driver assist" mode.
Just because Tesla says their hands weren't on the wheel doesn't mean their hands weren't on the wheel. I have always gotten plenty of false positive detections with one or two hands on the wheel unless I'm consciously wasting attention that should be on the road to keep just the right pressure so as to not cancel, but not get the warning. Even when I'm not doing that, I've found that my attention to the road and reaction time were both actually better for the 6 months of driving where my hands were actually not on the wheel prior to nag-gate. If it's not Tesla's fault, it's big brother's. Either way, between the steering nag, speed adjustments, and several other stupid changes, I feel that my Model X was safer for me a year ago than it is today.

Tesla need a new way to detect if a driver has their hands on the wheel. Clearly things have changed in terms of the way people have been using AP and accidents that have happened since they first conceived Autopilot but they are now stuck with utilizing torque sensing on the wheel which is sub optimal.

Cadillac has an interior facing camera - while there might be different options this at least on the surface of it seems to be better than Tesla's current method. .

Tesla need a new way to detect if a driver has their hands on the wheel. Clearly things have changed in terms of the way people have been using AP and accidents that have happened since they first conceived Autopilot but they are now stuck with utilizing torque sensing on the wheel which is sub optimal.

Cadillac has an interior facing camera - while there might be different options this at least on the surface of it seems to be better than Tesla's current method. .
Yeah, I wish there was some sort of inductive sensor or something...

Reactions: Corbets
I also find the resume cruise control at whatever speed you happened to brake at, annoying. However, I learn to live with it and just have it automatically resume to speed limit speed by tapping on the speed limit icon on the dash (Model 3 or Model X), then make adjustments from there. So instead of at 25mpg and scroll (M3), or flip lever (X) all the way back to 65mph. Tap the icon and it'll set it at the speed limit and go from there. Annoying yes, but as others have said, what if you intended to brake and forgot that smart cruise control is on. could lead to dangerous situations.

-ThinkMac-

I don't find the steering wheel detection bothersome. I like to guide the wheel with my hand even if they car is doing the steering.

But if your don't like it, you can blame people posting videos on YouTube showing how them in the back seat going down the interstate or using water bottles attached to steering wheel to try to trick the system.

Autosteer and Autopilot all levels are still BETA Software. They are open invitations for Tesla to try and improve the product in mid-flight.
Ideally, this would not be done with software so closely linked to the safety of the Model X driving situation.

I am an avid but careful user of Autopilot 1.0 and have been for years.
IMHO, You basically have 2 options. 1. use it and pay attention to every change with each software update. 2. do not use it.

It is what it is, nothing more. After all I was promised "real" summon when I bought mine.

While I can't speak for the OP, I can say that as soon as there is another long range EV with a national charging network like what Tesla has built then I'm 100% gone. Tesla is such a complete joke and embarrassment of a company that as soon as they have competition, real actual competition, they won't last longer than 5 proverbial seconds... The list of basic things Tesla can't even handle are astounding.

Jeff

When another company builds a competitive EV. It will only be because Tesla is forcing them to do so. Without Tesla, the market would still only have Leaf like EV’s.

I am an avid but careful user of Autopilot 1.0 and have been for years.

<snip>

After all I was promised "real" summon when I bought mine.
See, this complaint is more legitimate by far. AP 1.0 summon will presumably never be advanced with only windshield camera(s). However, "promised" is subjective. You can't do much of anything with the spoken word of a salesperson, and anything Tesla had in writing may have been written in such a way that they could argue that they meant eventually new models will or that dependence on hardware capability was a prerequisite, especially if their original plan was to use radar only for FSD.