Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest update... ;)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey

Anyone got the latest update? I’m amazed how this update has angered so many people, they really don’t like fart mode....

I have to say it made me smile and at the end of the day it’s just a little fun! And no one seems to me mentioning that with the new app update we’ll be able to press heat seats and wheel :) that’s a good addition :)

Just curious what my fellow UK owners think ?

I think what upsets/annoys people is the continual issues that never get properly resolved e.g. Spotify and various other bugs. Then add in yellow border MCU’s with the best part of years wait for maybe a proper resolution and 50+ heaters literally going pop over the last couple of weeks.

I’m not in software so don’t understand that world but apparently the Easter Eggs are done in the devs own time. That’s cold comfort if your driving around in an £80k+ freezing car with a yellow border and neither the phone connection nor Spotify work properly.

I personally thought the ‘emissions testing mode’ was childish, until I got in the car and tested it. Confirmed I’m a 5 year old trapped in an older body.

Reactions: .jg.
I think what upsets/annoys people is the continual issues that never get properly resolved e.g. Spotify and various other bugs. Then add in yellow border MCU’s with the best part of years wait for maybe a proper resolution and 50+ heaters literally going pop over the last couple of weeks.

I’m not in software so don’t understand that world but apparently the Easter Eggs are done in the devs own time. That’s cold comfort if your driving around in an £80k+ freezing car with a yellow border and neither the phone connection nor Spotify work properly.

I personally thought the ‘emissions testing mode’ was childish, until I got in the car and tested it. Confirmed I’m a 5 year old trapped in an older body.
I want more easter eggs.
Happy for autopilot to go on the backburner for a year or two, I just need more games and fart apps.

I manage websites and have dev ongoing all year round and no matter how much testing you do there will always be something you missed that someone flags
You could say Tesla don’t have as manly variables but considering they are constantly updating hardware in cars it’s no small feat to rollout an update and it to work on what must be 100’s of different varients of cars.

I’ve been a Tesla owner since September and whilst I have my own ongoing issues with them I have to love the fact that in such a short time I’ve had countless functionality added to my car, no other car does this and it’s epic.

I consider myself to be very picky and demanding especially on a 90k car but even I accept some issues are to be expected with the rate of development they are doing, just look how much Apple feck it up with there updates.

Providing My MX is never bricked by an update I think I’ll be happy :)

• Love
Reactions: thegruf
I manage websites and have dev ongoing all year round and no matter how much testing you do there will always be something you missed that someone flags

We are a small software company, producing web apps. We almost never get any bugs reported from the field, and if we get a regression bug there is blood on the carpet here I can tell you ...

You could say Tesla don’t have as manly variables but considering they are constantly updating hardware in cars it’s no small feat to rollout an update and it to work on what must be 100’s of different varients of cars.

Nah, Tesla's Infotainment QA is shite. Absolute shite. Regression bugs, in particular, are unforgivable, easy enough to build automated regression testing, we are small but even we have knocked that one on the head. I got an Intern in for the Summer (more than 10 years ago ...) and that was his job. Once built we've just kept it up to date with new regression tests as we add anything. A good proportion of the Tesla bugs I have seen should never have happened - when the 3-slider graphic-equaliser was changed to 5-slider it lost its setting every time the car was put into park. There wasn't a single person that reported that this didn't happen to them. That got through QA? In a big company for whom software is important? I mean "That actually, really, got through Tesla QA" Sheesh! There's a Reddit thread from someone who used to work in Tesla Infotainment, the chuck-it-together and stick-it-out-there culture is truly astonishing.

Mind you, count your blessings that you didn't buy an iPace. If you thought Tesla QA was bad try reading the iPace forums. Absolutely no mention of problems by anyone who had a pre-production drive - that includes plenty of Journos who probably never tested anything properly, but also plenty of folk like Bjorn who did give it a good test (and he's a software engineer after all ...). So must have been poor quality QA in a rushed-out-the-door-for-launch throw-together. Chuck in a decent sprinkling of hardware faults too ... Now all Jags held-back at the port waiting for parts and/or better software and plenty of USA punters going to miss out on this year's tax relief as a result. Master stroke in the game of self-foot-shooting :(

The other aspect is the cost. If software breaks in the field it is a priority to fix it, so all-hands-to-the-pump and whatever they were working on ... well the schedule for that goes straight out of the window, and with it all your credibility for whatever delivery promises you have made to customers. I'm seriously surprised that Tesla WANTS to keep incurring that cost ... and lousy PR ... each time.

In V9 can you "charge now" at a GPS location that has scheduled charging? Only way I have found to do it is to turn the schedule off - which means I have to remember to turn it back on afterwards, otherwise next time I park it will charge at peak rate. Used to be able to just press "Charge Now" which overrode the schedule ... just that once and then reverted to schedule next time. So unless I'm missing something that's yet another regression bug ...

I have been frustrated that the EasterEggs have all been bug free - even the dancing-doors-and-light-show for the Model-X ... but much else is buggy and/or late ... but lately I have come to wonder if EasterEggs have a different purpose - once upgrade-malaise sets in, and punters stop being in a hurry to upgrade (mine rarely upgrades, except when it is in for service, I no longer bother to endure waiting for several weeks for anyone from Support to get around to replying to me ...). No idea why, it picks up WiFi parked at home every evening, Service said there was nothing wrong with it; it did download V9, but only once 99.3% of the fleet already had it ... anyway, if upgrade-malaise IS a thing maybe EasterEggs are to encourage people to get onto latest-version. Much easier to support the fleet if noone is on a legacy version ... I wanted the Reindeer upgrade last Christmas (for a specific kids-in-car event ...) but it didn't download until February ... so I was pissed about that ... but this year everytime I have people in the car I say "Look at this", press the MIC and say "Ho Ho Ho" ... so its also a very real marketing gimmick, in particular the EasterEggs you are more likely to show people, rather than ones that you yourself would use/enjoy. Yup, I reckon when "Emissions Control" arrives I will be demo'ing that to all and sundry ... and I'll be able to have a jibe at VAG at the same time ... perfect!

Summary of recent conversion on i-Pace forum:

"Why would you want OTA, you just get buggy software" (clearly aimed in our direction ...)

i-Pace owner : "Less buggy software would be nice"

Ex-Tesla owner : "My P85+ is now X (i.e. lots) Years old, and has the latest software. Its as if I went out and bought a brand new car. No new hardware of course, but it has all the same software features as a brand new P100D"

i-Pace community "<silence>"

Ho!Hum! Merry Christmas everyone - said Scrooge!

Reactions: .jg. and Peteski
Wasn't meaning to point fingers, sorry about that.

Depends on your customers... lots of stuff needed for complete-rebuild-every-N-months - a bit like Tesla big-screen. Change-for-change sake, which is the vogue of marketing departments, perhaps that's your market, but it ain't mine. I'm building long-term apps which don't need a facelift, they just need more features / better efficiency / productivity / data quality adding/inmproving over time, without breaking anything :)

I've been around a while, quite possibly longer than you, and I am only interested in engineered-solutions, so Clients who ask me to speak to their Marketing Department rarely works, but Computer Departments tend to like me :)

We are a small software company, producing web apps. We almost never get any bugs reported from the field, and if we get a regression bug there is blood on the carpet here I can tell you ...

Nah, Tesla's Infotainment QA is shite. Absolute shite. Regression bugs, in particular, are unforgivable, easy enough to build automated regression testing, we are small but even we have knocked that one on the head. I got an Intern in for the Summer (more than 10 years ago ...) and that was his job. Once built we've just kept it up to date with new regression tests as we add anything. A good proportion of the Tesla bugs I have seen should never have happened - when the 3-slider graphic-equaliser was changed to 5-slider it lost its setting every time the car was put into park. There wasn't a single person that reported that this didn't happen to them. That got through QA? In a big company for whom software is important? I mean "That actually, really, got through Tesla QA" Sheesh! There's a Reddit thread from someone who used to work in Tesla Infotainment, the chuck-it-together and stick-it-out-there culture is truly astonishing.

Mind you, count your blessings that you didn't buy an iPace. If you thought Tesla QA was bad try reading the iPace forums. Absolutely no mention of problems by anyone who had a pre-production drive - that includes plenty of Journos who probably never tested anything properly, but also plenty of folk like Bjorn who did give it a good test (and he's a software engineer after all ...). So must have been poor quality QA in a rushed-out-the-door-for-launch throw-together. Chuck in a decent sprinkling of hardware faults too ... Now all Jags held-back at the port waiting for parts and/or better software and plenty of USA punters going to miss out on this year's tax relief as a result. Master stroke in the game of self-foot-shooting :(

The other aspect is the cost. If software breaks in the field it is a priority to fix it, so all-hands-to-the-pump and whatever they were working on ... well the schedule for that goes straight out of the window, and with it all your credibility for whatever delivery promises you have made to customers. I'm seriously surprised that Tesla WANTS to keep incurring that cost ... and lousy PR ... each time.

In V9 can you "charge now" at a GPS location that has scheduled charging? Only way I have found to do it is to turn the schedule off - which means I have to remember to turn it back on afterwards, otherwise next time I park it will charge at peak rate. Used to be able to just press "Charge Now" which overrode the schedule ... just that once and then reverted to schedule next time. So unless I'm missing something that's yet another regression bug ...

I have been frustrated that the EasterEggs have all been bug free - even the dancing-doors-and-light-show for the Model-X ... but much else is buggy and/or late ... but lately I have come to wonder if EasterEggs have a different purpose - once upgrade-malaise sets in, and punters stop being in a hurry to upgrade (mine rarely upgrades, except when it is in for service, I no longer bother to endure waiting for several weeks for anyone from Support to get around to replying to me ...). No idea why, it picks up WiFi parked at home every evening, Service said there was nothing wrong with it; it did download V9, but only once 99.3% of the fleet already had it ... anyway, if upgrade-malaise IS a thing maybe EasterEggs are to encourage people to get onto latest-version. Much easier to support the fleet if noone is on a legacy version ... I wanted the Reindeer upgrade last Christmas (for a specific kids-in-car event ...) but it didn't download until February ... so I was pissed about that ... but this year everytime I have people in the car I say "Look at this", press the MIC and say "Ho Ho Ho" ... so its also a very real marketing gimmick, in particular the EasterEggs you are more likely to show people, rather than ones that you yourself would use/enjoy. Yup, I reckon when "Emissions Control" arrives I will be demo'ing that to all and sundry ... and I'll be able to have a jibe at VAG at the same time ... perfect!

Summary of recent conversion on i-Pace forum:

"Why would you want OTA, you just get buggy software" (clearly aimed in our direction ...)

i-Pace owner : "Less buggy software would be nice"

Ex-Tesla owner : "My P85+ is now X (i.e. lots) Years old, and has the latest software. Its as if I went out and bought a brand new car. No new hardware of course, but it has all the same software features as a brand new P100D"

i-Pace community "<silence>"

Ho!Hum! Merry Christmas everyone - said Scrooge!

I totally agree. Tesla software QA is very poor and the Spotify issues in particular are extremely irritating. It's even worse in V9 and that's saying something! I can tolerate the odd glitch, but persistent failure of the primary music source that I use literally every single time I drive the car is now way beyond a joke. I keep trying to console myself that Spotify works about 50% of the time vs 0% of the time in every other car I've ever owned, but it's not really working since V9 made Spotify almost intolerable!

The web browser is a pathetic effort too. Anyone coming into a Tesla expecting iPad functionality is going to be seriously disappointed! But at least it's not something I need to use, but would be very nice to have all the same.

As for Easter Eggs never having bugs, I believe the dance mode used to mess up the folding mirror functionality. But maybe it was fixed at some point, because I haven't heard of that issue recently. I might give it a go for the kids over Christmas, so I'll let you know!

Reactions: .jg.
like most others I am sick and tired of basic bugs in the software.
This is about the only thing that would drive me away from Tesla, and if I'm honest even the bugs wouldn't drive me into the competition as they are overall so far behind.

However the lack of testing is frankly unacceptable now that Tesla has matured into an established auto manufacturer.

At its best Tesla is without peer, but sometimes there seems to be a total lack of understanding that this is an automobile, and when using the media or the bluetooth phone is a complete distracting mare, it is enough to make you wonder at what point does Tesla becomes responsible should an accident occur.

The latest v9 has its strengths but overall is a shambles and in particular lacks consistency of operation and strong contrast displays which are essential to intuitive operation (never mind the removal of a number of key features in navigation over time in particular) and failure to address any number of media player bugs.

Let's hope this can be turned into a positive move:
Tesla loses head of digital to Google

becuase if that guy is responsible for the current mess, then all I can say is google are welcome to him.

Reactions: .jg. and zap fizzle
Nicely put.

It is good to get new functionality, but v9 has been an absolute shambles since launch and it is utterly, utterly infuriating that they do no testing before releasing these updates.

I will never forget the first time I tried to use the nav in the first release of v9; they introduced a bug which stopped the nav display from being zoomed in and turned a short and simple journey into a stressy nightmare of incorrect prompts, missed turns, and screaming children.

They can get away with it because the other automakers are worse. But, the idea that an organisation which does software engineering in this way, with this culture and this mindset, will ever release a fully self-driving car is a total joke.

That works just fine from the app or the car for me...

Just hit 'start charging' and the scheduled charging remains unaffected.

Spotify has reached an all-time low in this latest version of V9. Now, not only does Spotify hang up after a temporary loss of signal, it now randomly freezes the entire MCU, forcing an automatic reboot after a minute or so. Not even multiple re-boots are guaranteed to get Spotify back up and running. Had to resort to internet radio streaming several times now. At least that works, but have to suffer DJ talk, crap re-mixes and ads!

Is everyone else suffering with this or is it just me? I'm wondering if my problem is that I've overloaded my stored playlists, artists etc and it now simply cannot cope with the volume of stuff in the system? Long shot, but might try deleting some of my stored playlists and see if it improves things. But it was never this bad in later versions of V8.

Just for good measure I also had the "romance" mode freeze up too yesterday, although Spotify was playing at the time so was probably the culprit again! It's really a shambles now and any benefit from V9 (I do prefer the overall layout) is totally lost on me now with these basic issues. My wife thinks it's *sugar* too now, which is not good for Tesla as she was thinking of getting an M3 and now having second thoughts.

Spotify has reached an all-time low in this latest version of V9. Now, not only does Spotify hang up after a temporary loss of signal, it now randomly freezes the entire MCU, forcing an automatic reboot after a minute or so. Not even multiple re-boots are guaranteed to get Spotify back up and running. Had to resort to internet radio streaming several times now. At least that works, but have to suffer DJ talk, crap re-mixes and ads!

Is everyone else suffering with this or is it just me? I'm wondering if my problem is that I've overloaded my stored playlists, artists etc and it now simply cannot cope with the volume of stuff in the system? Long shot, but might try deleting some of my stored playlists and see if it improves things. But it was never this bad in later versions of V8.

It's possible your MCU is dying (probably of flash write-cycle exhaustion).

But yes, Spotify is turd.

had to get out of a tight spot today, took a couple of forward-reverse shuffles.

Backup cam didnt know whether to be on or not, ended up driving down the road (forwards!) with it on, MCU all locked up and then it just rebooted itself presumably out of embarrassment. But at least it can fart :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: shthpnz