Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaked Model 3 specs 0-60 in under 4 sec and 300+ mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't look like your data is based on GPS. Motor Trend use high precision Vbox for all their performance test and they test it on the same place every time.

I do not trust Motor Trend's measuring abilities because they produced a quartermile measurement of the Tesla P90DL, which not a single person in the world is able to reach. Who knows what they are doing... but Motor Trend is not a trustworthy source.

Last edited:
For reference, the i3 is rated at 0.3kWh/mi highway _wall to wheel_. At 90% efficiency, that'd be 0.27kWh/mi battery to wheel. Since the EPA highway rating test speeds are low, so there's more bias to weight, and I would doubt that the Model 3 weight will be very low.

But note that in good conditions, my Gen 1 Volt (curb weight 37nn lbs) with about 10.5kWh usable, can comfortably do 42 miles on a highway drive. So, 0.25kWh/mi highway battery-to-wheel is not totally out there.
Weight is a second order effect when talking about highway fuel economy (and therefore range.) It comes down to CdA, speed, battery capacity and tyre choice.

The ☰ will likely have the same Cd, tyres, and speed choices as the MS, so battery capacity and frontal area are the differentiating factors compared to the numbers we know with a MS. I use a rule of thumb that says that aero resistance is about half the total Wh/mile at 70 mph

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Weight is a second order effect when talking about highway fuel economy (and therefore range.) It comes down to CdA, speed, battery capacity and tyre choice.

The ☰ will likely have the same Cd, tyres, and speed choices as the MS, so battery capacity and frontal area are the differentiating factors compared to the numbers we know with a MS. I use a rule of thumb that says that aero resistance is about half the total Wh/mile at 70 mph

The ☰ will almost certainly not have the same Cd as the S -- Tesla has great CFD and simulation capabilities, as does SpaceX, as their modeling and control of the booster recovery has demonstrated. There is no way that Tesla will do a new vehicle without lowering Cd. Just look at the aero package for the roadster. If they were doing the S over again, it would be better, because Tesla engineering capabilities are almost certainly better. On a model S, aerodynamic drag is more than 60 percent of the load at 70 mph, and that's with average tire rolling resistance. It goes to a full 2/3 at 75 mph because of the cube power relationship between drag and speed. You can't be involved with EVs and EV modeling without becoming somewhat obsessive with aerodynamics. Tesla can improve efficiency in so many areas: aerodynamics, inverter, motor (motors), tires, that anyone who believes that the ☰ will require similar power to the S is fooling themselves. Michelin just announced that they were given a tire brief by Tesla for a custom tire with exceptionally low rolling resistance for its other characteristics. This is the type of thing that Tesla couldn't conceive of doing when the S was released, but the volumes (and promised volumes) are there now to get impressive suppliers to design custom components. The S and X will themselves get better as improvements are made. Keep in mind the ☰ won't be released for two more years, and there's time to get new technologies in. It will likely have wide-band-gap semiconductors in its inverter, which could halve losses there. It will have exceptionally low rolling resistance tires that still corner. I stand on my prediction that the base battery pack size will be much smaller than most people on this forum, who are extrapolating from MS performance, are expecting. That's the best way to hit the price target and maintain margins.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlo
If those numbers are right - especially 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Holy-moly am I going to be a happy camper! That's faster than my Twin Turbo 370z D:

Definitely going for the AWD + performance model

I would also be happy too. Turbos on gasoline powered cars will be obsolete. No need to "tune" for higher performance. Just buy straight from the factory with awesome performance.