Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaked Model 3 specs 0-60 in under 4 sec and 300+ mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I predict we'll see 3 things tomorrow...

- Rough Model 3 specs (obviously)
- New 100kWh S/X and Gen II Model S
- 2017 supercharger map

pins and needles :)
I'm more interested in a 2017 service center map than more superchargers. Plenty of those along the routes I would travel, but the nearest service center is nearly 3 hours away (also where I'm reserving mine tomorrow)

From that electrek article...

80 kWh will not get 300 miles. Usable capacity will be around 75 kWh will need an efficiency of 4 miles/kWh - very difficult at highway speeds.

The M3 should be the most aerodynamic car since the EV1. Its effective frontal area, I'm betting, will be around 0.45 meters-squared, not quite as good as the EV1 or the VW XL1, but closer than almost anything else. With weight reduction and almost 25 percent lower drag than a MS, it should require substantially less power -- I'm estimating 15kW delivered will propel it at 75 mph. A 70kWh battery will give it a greater than 300 mile EPA range. I wouldn't be surprised if pack sizes came in 50 kWh and 65 kWh for the low and high end options, though they may be a little bigger, perhaps 55 kWh and 70 kWh.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub
Meh. I was hoping the Model E would put down a sub-3.0 second 0-60. Under 4.0 is right around where the M3/M4 is (3.8 sec). And I really really hope that line about "it looks like a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S," is wrong because the X has all the appeal of a Pontiac Aztek for me.

I fully expect to pay around 70K for a fully loaded Model 3. That's about the same price increase for a fully loaded Model S (doubles the base price). The article says the source claims the model 3 is: “sexy and sporty” and “It seems so right”. I hope that is true!

However, I don't understand how it could be a cross between the X and S and still leave room for the Model Y (unless the source is referring to the nose cone or lack thereof).

I'm more interested in a 2017 service center map than more superchargers. Plenty of those along the routes I would travel, but the nearest service center is nearly 3 hours away (also where I'm reserving mine tomorrow)
This one ranks right up there with SC for me. Without more of these, another choke point will raise its ugly head. There was word Tesla was going to open a new SvC about 2 miles from me and 20 miles south of the existing Costa Mesa location. Nothing yet but I am hoping the opening will coincide with the M3 production. Heaven knows more are needed.

If the numbers are anywhere near true at the price, than the Model S better get a sizable update if it's going to start at $70k. Many purchased Model S's because there wasn't a smaller sized option, I am in the camp where the Model S is larger than what I need or desire in a vehicle.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
From that electrek article...
80 kWh will not get 300 miles. Usable capacity will be around 75 kWh will need an efficiency of 4 miles/kWh - very difficult at highway speeds.

I wouldn't rule it out. My e-Golf gets 4.0-4.5 mi/kWh cruising on a flat highway at ~65 mph in temperate weather. Yes, the Model 3 will be a little heavier, but it will likely have a better Cd, so I think 4+ mi/kWh at highway speeds will be achievable. I expect the combined EPA efficiency to come in around around 4 mi/kWh as well, so a hypothetical 80-kWh battery should be awfully close to 300 miles EPA.

This just posted by DailyMail UK...

Elon Musk’s affordable Tesla specs leaked: New $35,000 Model 3 will go from 0-60 in under 4 seconds and have 300 mile range
  • Source also said it will be a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S
  • Will be 20% shorter than the S, placing it in same segment as Audi A4
  • The first Model 3s are to be delivered by 2017 in US, and 2018 in Europe
  • The car will be unveiled tomorrow at 11.30pm ET Hawthorne, California

Elon Musk’s affordable Model 3 specs have been leaked

I wouldn't be so sure. The motor is the easy (relatively affordable ) part, especially when you consider shedding a lot of weight (smaller car, etc). But yes, they may offer it in different motor capabilities too.
I tend to agree. You wouldn't give the bulk of the consumer market 'super car' performance. You'd create the Honda Accord of electric cars and offer a few options. There's no way a grandma who's ready to go electric is going for a base model that runs 0-60 in 4 seconds. That model lineup would be seriously flawed.

Reactions: tomsky
Speaking of higher end, the price tag on the high end version of the Model 3 grows significantly to almost base Model S territory with estimates in the $50-$60K range. What do you get for that money? Besides autonomous driving on the level of the Model S and X, Tesla will also offer the aforementioned AWD option.

Anybody else reading between the lines that only the higher-end cars will have the autopilot?