Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaked Model 3 specs 0-60 in under 4 sec and 300+ mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to agree. You wouldn't give the bulk of the consumer market 'super car' performance. You'd create the Honda Accord of electric cars and offer a few options. There's no way a grandma who's ready to go electric is going for a base model that runs 0-60 in 4 seconds. That model lineup would be seriously flawed.

I used to be concerned that Tesla was offering so much performance to people not used to performance cars. Many people bought Roadsters and Model S for the longest range EV, and not because of quick acceleration. I was concerned that people would be "crashing them all over the place" due to the quick acceleration, and lack of drama when doing so. But it appears that crashes are few and far between, and I have more respect for the average driver's ability to control a vehicle that has that capability. I think it helps that the computer controls keep the car from spinning the tires and sliding out of control. Quick acceleration is great for all as long as the car stays in control.

Anybody else reading between the lines that only the higher-end cars will have the autopilot?

My concern with the statement about autopilot is that it is only "on the level of the S and X" when I am hoping the Model 3 will have the next generation hardware for full autonomy making it ready once the software and legal aspects are ironed out. However, I think the article is written with more confidence than facts so I take the details with a grain of salt.

However, I don't understand how it could be a cross between the X and S and still leave room for the Model Y (unless the source is referring to the nose cone or lack thereof).

I am wagering it is a smaller Model S with a Model X type nose(smaller) instead of the MS nosecone.

The proportions can't be the same as MS because it would kill backseat headroom. So it will be a relatively tall vehicle vs length x width compared to MS.

To the layman that equals a hybrid of MS and MX.

My understanding is the current hardware in the Model S and X is an older generation that is adequate for autopilot, but not autonomous driving. Many expect the Model 3 to have autonomous driving hardware. So the question for me is not if the Model 3 will have hardware for autopilot, but if it will have the hardware for autonomous driving.

Elon always said Tesla's cars should be a better car than their ICE counterpart, so let's compare these top model specs to the competition:

- MB C63 AMG sedan: 0-60 in 4.0 sec, ±350 miles range, ±65k
- BMW M3: 0-60 in 4.1 sec, ±320 miles range, ±64k

So the top end should be in that ball park.
Keep in mind that your BMW and MB prices are the base or those cars. Both of them top out fully optioned at roughly $100,000. Somehow everyone is low-balling the competitors pricing by using option-free for the ICE and assuming Teska will have fully-options at that base. They will not do that, IMHO. Tesla has never been shy about option prices nor have they undercut ICE competitors. Why would they start doing that?

From that electrek article...

80 kWh will not get 300 miles. Usable capacity will be around 75 kWh will need an efficiency of 4 miles/kWh - very difficult at highway speeds.

I have driven my Roadster over 49k miles and my overall average is 4.02 mi/kWh. That is in WI where we have COLD and SNOW which greatly impact efficiency.

Over 80% of my miles are highway (typically 70-75mph), and I can easily run >3.8 mi/kWh at that speed. This morning on my 27 mile commute I used 5.5kWh for a smooth 4.9 mi/kWh (with a nice tailwind).

So the question for me is not if the Model 3 will have hardware for autopilot, but if it will have the hardware for autonomous driving.

I'm confident that if any cars have it then all cars will have it. Tesla has shown that they place a high priority on streamlined production. They were willing to put an extra 20kWh in a pack and sell it as a 40 just to prevent the headache of an additional battery size.

As to wether autonomous driving is ready in late 2017? IMO 50/50...

Keep in mind that your BMW and MB prices are the base or those cars. Both of them top out fully optioned at roughly $100,000. Somehow everyone is low-balling the competitors pricing by using option-free for the ICE and assuming Teska will have fully-options at that base. They will not do that, IMHO. Tesla has never been shy about option prices nor have they undercut ICE competitors. Why would they start doing that?

Ah yes, I meant the price of the PxxD version excluding options.

I tend to agree. You wouldn't give the bulk of the consumer market 'super car' performance. You'd create the Honda Accord of electric cars and offer a few options. There's no way a grandma who's ready to go electric is going for a base model that runs 0-60 in 4 seconds. That model lineup would be seriously flawed.
I agree. My ex-boss, who I've been trying to talk into a Tesla, is actually afraid of that kind of performance.

I agree. My ex-boss... is actually afraid of that kind of performance.

Jeesh! This is such a lame argument.
How often do we go out and flat out MASH the pedal at every green light, or in bumper to bumper traffic? All of us here know, as with any new car we buy (get in to) and drive, that each performs a little different... and we adapt. The Tesla's are no different. The pedals are not explosively twitchy, by any means.

I wouldn't be so sure. The motor is the easy (relatively affordable ) part, especially when you consider shedding a lot of weight (smaller car, etc). But yes, they may offer it in different motor capabilities too.
Don't forget about the power delivery limitations of smaller battery packs... If Tesla is to be believed, the 1s 0-60 difference between the S70D and S85D is purely due to battery limitations, the motors are the same.

Reactions: tomsky
I'm confident that if any cars have it then all cars will have it. Tesla has shown that they place a high priority on streamlined production. They were willing to put an extra 20kWh in a pack and sell it as a 40 just to prevent the headache of an additional battery size.

As to wether autonomous driving is ready in late 2017? IMO 50/50...

There are at least 3 major aspects to attaining an autonomous driving car:
1) hardware sensors,
2) software,
3) legal approval

Elon and other top engineers at Tesla are on record saying the Model S and X do not have right hardware for autonomous driving. Elon has said that software wise cars will be smart enough in only a couple of years which coincidentally lines up with the timing of the Model 3 launch. However, many would side with you that software will take longer.

The main point here is without 1) the right hardware sensors, 2) software and 3) legal approval will not matter. So my hope is they will put the hardware in so when the software and legal side things are ready so will the Model 3.