Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease vs finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can lease cars through other banks. It's just financing.

And remember, Tesla doesn't have dealers.

I know that I meat that normally leasing is through the dealer / manufac. financing a lease. or is it just buying at that point?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone gotten higher than 15K miles for leasing> I think if I could get 20K i would do that, that is really the thing thats keeping me from leasing.

I know that I meat that normally leasing is through the dealer / manufac. financing a lease. or is it just buying at that point?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone gotten higher than 15K miles for leasing> I think if I could get 20K i would do that, that is really the thing thats keeping me from leasing.

Tesla does not lease their cars. They sell to a partner bank (US Bank in my case) and the partner bank leases it to the end user.

What andrewket is saying that there's nothing stopping a non-partner bank from buying a Tesla and leasing it to you. You just have to do some legwork and find one.

And it doesn't have to be a bank. It could be a friend or relative, so long as you can agree to terms.

Regarding lease mileage, the US Bank overage charge is $0.25/mile. In comparison, a 15k mile/year lease will cost approximately $1/mile without overage charges. I think the excess mileage charge is very reasonable. For example, if you put 100k miles on in 3 years (a lot of miles for most), the excess mileage charge is only $14k.

After Long debate I am going for finance.
Since I have a small business so I finance the car in business name and get sales tax back. And I I can write off 15-20 % of the value of the car as a business expenses. Plus I don't have to worry about how many miles I put on the car.
Only drawback is after 4 yrs I plan to sell it privately and can not predict how much will be the residual value as Model 3 is coming out.