Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving a phone with the Tesla app, inside the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we are on the subject of keys, is there a way to register a phone as a key but not allow it to be used for driving?

I'm thinking of wife/kids here: allow them to unlock the car and sit inside, use audio/heating/ac etc but not start/drive the car?

I suppose you could try using PIN to drive, but I can't imagine it would take your kids too long to notice what the PIN is.

This.

Or install the app on their device setup NOT as a key, which will let them unlock the car manually from the device via the app or the widget unlock button.

With the app you can open trunks, set climate & charging, Sentry mode, some other stuff, but to “start” the car you need to authorize it with your Tesla account credentials or have done that once and setup Face ID or Touch ID support in the app.

They can also just say “Hey dad, unlock the car for me” and you can unlock it remotely from your app wherever you are, even if they send you a text from standing in the parking lot while you are still inside a store.

On a similar note, if I unlock the car, drive to the shop, and then go to but something (with my phone key), can the car be left unlocked and audio etc available with the wife/kids in the car?

Just trying to consider the practicalities right now pre-purchase.

If you enable ‘leave climate on’ before you leave the car, I think it might also leave the radio on while it detects people sitting in the seats?

If you leave walk-away lock enabled, then I think you want to turn the alarm off manually or warn them not to open the doors without unlocking on the screen or the alarm will sound. Or maybe the screen shuts off? I have to ask my wife what happened. LOL. Usually it’s me and the kids staying in the car playing TeslAtari :)

You could also just disable walk away, or manually unlock the car from the app right after it locks. If someone has a key in the car still it probably won’t lock (but given first question they may not have a key).

Hmm... actually does walk-away door locking work while people still have butts in seats?

Last edited:
Not super clear from this thread but if I want to go for a run and lock my phone in the car and bring the keycard with me, will it let me lock the doors or should I turn off Bluetooth on the phone just to be safe? I don’t like to run with my phone and in my old car I’d just run with the key and leave the phone inside the car.

I could try it out but not sure if the same thing would happen every time?

FOLKS, YOU CAN INSTALL THE APP ON A PHONE THAT IS NOT A “KEY” AND SAFELY LEAVE THAT PHONE IN THE CAR WITHOUT RISKING THEFT OF YOUR CAR!
FOLKS, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PERSON. EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE DEVICE BE THE KEY, IF YOU HAVE THE TESLA APP ON THE DEVICE, THEY CAN JUST PRESS THE BUTTON TO ALLOW DRIVING IN THE APP AND FOR 90 SECS, A PERSON CAN USE THE CAR.

AND STOP BRINGING BACK OLD THREADS....