Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED Lighting & Energy Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GH7208XRS_WP-Zoom_436X510_SF.jpg

SpeedCook ovens build on the speed, accuracy and innovation of a microwave, adding convection cooking, SpeedCook technology (using halogen and quartz light), for the taste and texture you'd expect from a traditional thermal-bake oven—in a fraction of the time.

Last edited:
If it's really 1700 lumens, then it's really more than 100we, no?

I've also discovered that, if using any dimming capability, that the circuitry really matters. I had some LEDWaves bulbs that didn't do well at dimming, swapped for near-equivalent Toshiba PowerCore bulbs, and wow, what a difference. I can tell that the Toshiba bulbs are really smoothing out their power draw (the dimming lags the input from the wall dimmer by about 1/5th of a second) and they sometimes overreach by going a little dim or bright sometimes as they guess where I'm trying to dim to, but I'll take it over the typical dimming failure mode (flashing).

It's exciting that LED bulbs have really come a long way in the past year. And I'm glad congress didn't pass the attempted repeal of the efficiency standards.

I have a 150we par38 above the kitchen sink - wasn't cheap - but my wife liked it a whole heck of a lot better than the 120we CFL that was there. You can't underestimate the value of no warm up time.

Department of Energy Announces Philips Lighting North America as Winner of L Prize Competition | Department of Energy

Submitted in 2009, the Philips LED bulb successfully completed 18 months of intensive field, lab, and product testing to meet the rigorous requirements of the L Prize competition - ensuring that performance, quality, lifetime, cost, and availability meet expectations for widespread adoption and mass manufacturing. If every 60-watt incandescent bulb in the U.S. was replaced with the 10-watt L Prize winner, the nation would save about 35 terawatt-hours of electricity or $3.9 billion in one year and avoid 20 million metric tons of carbon emissions.

The L Prize-winning 60-watt equivalent LED bulb from Philips could arrive in stores as soon as early 2012.

Lighting Science's $15 LED Bulb: Four Reasons Why LEDs Are the New PCs : Greentech Media

Lighting Science and Dixon today announced that the two will produce a 60-watt equivalent LED bulb for $15, effectively slashing the price of solid state lighting for consumers in half.

The bulb will first appear in India at the end of the year, but will go global in 2012. The bulb is similar to the $30 60-watt equivalent bulb released by Lighting Science in the U.S. earlier this year (pictured). The new bulb, however, will consume even less power -- only 8.5 watts -- and, of course, will cost less.