Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left Camera Video Recordings Corrupted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here. If yes, please kindly direct to the thread.

My Model 3's currently on firmware version 2019.5.4 (didn't receive any new update for a while...). I checked the video recordings in my USB this morning before I was going to format it since it's full.

I noticed that the video recordings from both SavedClips and RecentClips folders show that the left camera (format: YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm-left_repeater) failed to display image.
Some videos (from the left camera) only show upper 1/3 of the images and 2/3 are black or green. In addition, the video sizes from the left camera (~4,000 KB) are noticeably smaller than the front and right cameras (~29,500KB) for a 1 min. clip. It even has some 0 KB (empty/corrupted) files while the other two cameras still worked as expected.

It seems a firmware bug to me since I can still see the image even if the bottom 2/3 image is green. So, the hardware (the leff camera) should be find?

I've scheduled a service next week.Has anyone run into the same problem?
Thank you guys in advance.

TeslaCam 201903071256.png TeslaCam 201903071722.png TeslaCam video green.jpg

Reactions: BBone
I'm on 2019.8.3 and during the daytime, my right repeater camera is 0 bytes 98% of the time, left one usually has data but mostly corrupt. At night it gets better; seems to record correctly 75% of the time. Corruption only appears in sentry mode; as soon as I put the card in drive, all cameras start recording perfectly. It's very odd.

• Informative
Reactions: Owen_H
I'm on 2019.8.3 and during the daytime, my right repeater camera is 0 bytes 98% of the time, left one usually has data but mostly corrupt. At night it gets better; seems to record correctly 75% of the time. Corruption only appears in sentry mode; as soon as I put the card in drive, all cameras start recording perfectly. It's very odd.
Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue as you are. My left camera seems back to 70% normal at night. I haven't tried to save a dashcam footage when driving though.

I think I'm on 8.4, and just checked my sentry mode captures yesterday: right repeater videos are dead; left occasionally has the green 'blips' on half the screen (but they generally go away shortly after the video starts). Thought it was just me... good to know it's a known issue!

Mine did that for a bit, then suddenly for no reason it went back to normal. I looked over the files and my impression was that it was a specific section of the storage. There's always compression and error correction going on, and these files show compression artifacts. Maybe there was a problem in writing to the media. Can you try reformatting the whole USB stick and see?

I just got a message from Tesla addressing problems I had,
and they suggested this:
  • Touchscreen reboot: Hold down your foot on the brake while holding in the two scroll wheel buttons (around 20 seconds) on the steering wheel. Do this until the Tesla ‘T’ appears on the touchscreen, and then let go for a restart.
  • Powercycle: Controls > Settings > Safety and Security > POWER OFF and confirm. Tap the brake pedal to turn the car on.
In addition, I had my phone in airplane mode, and waited
a full 3 minutes before touching anything while power off.

This solved my immediate problems. Sounds like a good
thing to try.