Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I had many blocked pillar warnings for both sides and the front cameras as well as Major warnings requiring me to take over immediately because more than one camera was blocked or blinded. No rain or snow, mostly sunny. I have no doubt that this was all caused by the sun angle shining into the camera/cameras. I really hope that get this fixed quickly. I drove about 100 miles and was only able to use AP for about 20. Frustrating.

Yesterday I had many blocked pillar warnings for both sides and the front cameras as well as Major warnings requiring me to take over immediately because more than one camera was blocked or blinded. No rain or snow, mostly sunny. I have no doubt that this was all caused by the sun angle shining into the camera/cameras. I really hope that get this fixed quickly. I drove about 100 miles and was only able to use AP for about 20. Frustrating.

I don’t think there’s anything to fix. Even the highest of high-end SLRs won’t work in direct sun. It’s why, with the current hardware, FSD will always be a driver-monitor-always situation.

Reactions: diezel_dave
I'm experiencing this pretty much on every sunny day. Autopilot will not function while the sun is hitting my front camera. I get the "Front camera blocked or blinded" message and Autopilot drops out/won't engage again. This started happening roughly around 2019.42.x. I travelled the same routes at the same time since I've had the car and I never had these problems till around that update.

Anyone get any clarification or a resolution on this issue?

Resurrecting an old thread. I got the left pillar camera blocked message for the first time yesterday after driving in the rain. Car updated to 2020.8.2 in the morning, drove for 15 mins and then the caution message came on.
I have a service tech coming out tomorrow, since I didn't know what the issue was. Wonder what, if anything, the tech can do.

Seems like the software update may have caused it because before the updated I have driven in the rain several times without any issues.

I just picked up my M3P a few days ago and every morning since I have received this message, "Right door pillar camera blocked or blinded". I get this only during the hours of darkness so it's not blinded and its not blocked as you can see from the pics I have added. Was going to contact service if this continues.

View attachment 489819 View attachment 489820
I get this same message as I drive home from work after dusk (no sun). It happens in the same short stretch of road all the time, only when AP is on. I know it isn’t blocked when driving 60 mph, nothing in the area, desolate road. Only does it on that one stretch of road, doesn’t bother me as long as it doesn’t do it anywhere else. I’ve had Teslas for a long time and quite sure Tesla will say they can’t duplicate the problem and return car.

It's a blinded by the light thing.

I thought this was my issue, but it turns out there was something stuck to the camera.

curlywurly.JPG

I get the same message. I get it day or night but it happens about 50 percent of the time along the same stretch of Highway in almost the same exact area but it goes away after about 15 seconds. The only thing different about that stretch of road is that there are 345 kV lines and it seems that the alert happens almost immediately after passing under those and then lasts the 15 seconds. I notice this in a HW3 P3

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I searched and could not find this message.

Driving with AP this morning on highway and this message popped up:;

Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded
Clear camera or wait for it to regain visibility

I noticed that the morning sun was directly on my door. AP continued to work except for auto lane change in the left direction. When I would turn away from the sun the message would disappear. When I stopped and checked cameras they were clear. I did a reboot just to make sure it was not a fluke message.

On the way home I would get the Right Door message when turned toward the sun and disappear when turned away from sun.

HW 2.5 and EAP only.

Has anyone else seen this message?
I have had my car 1 day and I got the message. going west on hwy 98, the left camera notated, going east on hwy 98, the right camera notated. Fla sun in fall and spring has low sky angles causing a lot of glare.

I have had my car 1 day and I got the message. going west on hwy 98, the left camera notated, going east on hwy 98, the right camera notated. Fla sun in fall and spring has low sky angles causing a lot of glare.
I've had my Model 3 about eight months and have been getting the "left pillar camera blocked" on just about every drive for the last week or two.

I don't know if it would help, but I've been thinking about recalibrating the cameras. If that doesn't help I'll have to contact service.

We picked our car up Friday and got this alert yesterday. Initially reading this, I assumed it could be bright morning sun, but once we parked we realized there was a bit of moisture inside the camera compartment on the left pillar.

I just picked up my M3P a few days ago and every morning since I have received this message, "Right door pillar camera blocked or blinded". I get this only during the hours of darkness so it's not blinded and its not blocked as you can see from the pics I have added. Was going to contact service if this continues.

View attachment 489819 View attachment 489820
Yes I have this problem. I drove 5 hrs to Sydney Tesla Service centre, stayed overnight and left 2022 M3 at Tesla all day. They checked it out and said it was all fine ... I just needed to clean the camera glass they said; as if I was illiterate! They even cleaned them for me. On the way home the error message repeatedly occurred to the point that the AP was turned off by the car! Maybe Tesla has trouble cleaning glass as well! Two days and two hundred dollars travel and accommodation down the drain. Not happy! Yes, I too only have this problem at night. My theory is that when this happens at night, there is not enough ambient light to enable the cameras to operate correctly and the car claims the camera glass is the problem. It is about time that Tesla fessed up and provided IR lighting and cameras to match so that they can ‘see’ in the dark. Maybe they also need to fit a radar as well for those times the front cameras are blinded by the sun! The whole safety of this car in AP & FSD depends on these dodgy cameras.

I've had my Model 3 about eight months and have been getting the "left pillar camera blocked" on just about every drive for the last week or two.

I don't know if it would help, but I've been thinking about recalibrating the cameras. If that doesn't help I'll have to contact service.
I can save you the time: I drove down from Central NSW to Tesla to look at this problem; they told me to clean my camera glass better!!

Reactions: DeltaOne
Yes I have this problem. I drove 5 hrs to Sydney Tesla Service centre, stayed overnight and left 2022 M3 at Tesla all day. They checked it out and said it was all fine ... I just needed to clean the camera glass they said; as if I was illiterate! They even cleaned them for me. On the way home the error message repeatedly occurred to the point that the AP was turned off by the car! Maybe Tesla has trouble cleaning glass as well! Two days and two hundred dollars travel and accommodation down the drain. Not happy! Yes, I too only have this problem at night. My theory is that when this happens at night, there is not enough ambient light to enable the cameras to operate correctly and the car claims the camera glass is the problem. It is about time that Tesla fessed up and provided IR lighting and cameras to match so that they can ‘see’ in the dark. Maybe they also need to fit a radar as well for those times the front cameras are blinded by the sun! The whole safety of this car in AP & FSD depends on these dodgy cameras.
My feelng it that the new high res cameras aren't really for higher resolution, they probably have better low-light capabilities.