Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

left foot accelerator modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to use a left foot accelerator device similar to this one: http://suregrip-hvl.com/brochures/lfgp.pdf. Many disabled people (MS patients, amputees, etc.) use them and they work great.

Two problems with using this on a Model S: (1) it needs to bolt into the floor, but the battery is under the floor, and (2) the left foot rest is too close to the brake to leave room for an accelerator on the left side.

Bolting should be possible if the battery is removed and the bolt heads are ground down and/or recessed. Does anyone know how think the floor is and/or how much clearance there is (if any) between the bottom of the floor and the battery?

Left foot rest would have to be removed. Does anyone know what this would involve and/or what (if anything) is behind it?

Thanks.

I need to use a left foot accelerator device similar to this one: http://suregrip-hvl.com/brochures/lfgp.pdf. Many disabled people (MS patients, amputees, etc.) use them and they work great.

Two problems with using this on a Model S: (1) it needs to bolt into the floor, but the battery is under the floor, and (2) the left foot rest is too close to the brake to leave room for an accelerator on the left side.

Bolting should be possible if the battery is removed and the bolt heads are ground down and/or recessed. Does anyone know how think the floor is and/or how much clearance there is (if any) between the bottom of the floor and the battery?

Left foot rest would have to be removed. Does anyone know what this would involve and/or what (if anything) is behind it?

Thanks.

I would contact Tesla directly about adaptive devices/options for the Model S. They may have something they can offer and have almost certainly been through this before.

good thread on this at the Teslamotors.com forums: Making Model S Accessible for Disabled Driver | Forums | Tesla Motors

Thanks, Evan.

I'm in touch w/ Tesla at my local service center and in Fremont. I'll need their help to make a modification work, but I'm not optimistic about getting it unless I can get the attention and support of someone higher up - they have some big fish to fry. I can't be the only Tesla that needs for adaptive devices, but I'll bet there aren't that many of us.

Thanks for the link. I'd seen that thread. Also this one - Left foot accelerator? | Forums | Tesla Motors, which says about halfway down:

I took my friend's Model S in to the mechanics who do vehicle modifications but they shut me down pretty good. They were pointed out the left foot rest (the raised pad) isn't removable like it normally is and there isn't enough room in between that foot rest and the brake to squeeze a left foot accelerator in. The other (but less important) issue was that their particular versions of the left foot accelerator would interfere with the brake post and how that attaches to the car.

I'll keep trying, but we may end up putting the left foot accelerator in her Audi for me and she'll get the Tesla - lucky her!

Hi Joe. Sorry new here. I can’t seem to send you a PM. So you bolted the pedal to the firewall but is that still mechanical or an electric accelerator? I called Tesla today and they said anything to do with wiring of the cars accelerator will void the warranty.

They would not honor working with 3rd party installers and suggested to buy the parts and have the service center people do the instal, but quickly followed up with saying that most likely the service people wouldn’t instal something they aren’t familiar with. Or do extra type work outside of the usual fix on their cars.

I find it quite disappointing for a forward thinking company not to put something like this into consideration. When serval other manufactures have programs set in place to help a disabled driver in need.