Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left pillar camera blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here's a funny exercise tfor you:

How Vision Only parking sensors, which work with cameras only (because USS provide maybe contradicting information therefore evil according some people on the site here, gonna operate and what result you are going to expect while parking in the dark place, when "camera is blinded by darkness"?

should be shedload of funny threads soon

p.s. I have USS as well so I am not affected, but others... :D
Urgh. Change the record, or at least bother to understand how TV supposedly works and come up with a slightly fresh criticism.

Riddle me this - how does your car approach an object to park alongside it? Does it a) slide in perfectly parallel, like a crab, or b) approach from the front or the rear like, say A CAR, during which time said obstacle is illuminated by either the front or rear lights?

The correct answer is B, meaning the car should be able to see it and model it.

The ‘blinded’ messages in the dark are probably a precaution because it would be unsafe to assume that no input from the camera always means it’s pitch black - you might have a faulty camera.

Urgh. Change the record, or at least bother to understand how TV supposedly works and come up with a slightly fresh criticism.

Riddle me this - how does your car approach an object to park alongside it? Does it a) slide in perfectly parallel, like a crab, or b) approach from the front or the rear like, say A CAR, during which time said obstacle is illuminated by either the front or rear lights?

The correct answer is B, meaning the car should be able to see it and model it.

The ‘blinded’ messages in the dark are probably a precaution because it would be unsafe to assume that no input from the camera always means it’s pitch black - you might have a faulty camera.
well, duh.. like any other car which:
Car have sensors on the rear and front side of the bumper. like in this pic, near the front wheel

1673355429841.png

like industry norm.

Now here's a bummer for your beautiful mind:
What is better:
a) sensor which "car see" obstacle in light, dark, rain or whatever condition as long as not obstructed
b) camera which has poor visibility when dark, obstructed by low sun, fog, humidity or whatever and has no visibility of whatever what is below vison angle of the car?

Reactions: H43lio
well, duh.. like any other car which:
Car have sensors on the rear and front side of the bumper. like in this pic, near the front wheel

View attachment 894161

like industry norm.

Now here's a bummer for your beautiful mind:
What is better:
a) sensor which "car see" obstacle in light, dark, rain or whatever condition as long as not obstructed
b) camera which has poor visibility when dark, obstructed by low sun, fog, humidity or whatever and has no visibility of whatever what is below vison angle of the car?
At this point you’re either actually incapable of understanding the TV concept or you’re just trolling. Either way I think I’ve put in my community service and bid you good day, sir.

• Disagree
Reactions: H43lio and KennethS
My M-Y near side pillar camera started showing errors in September after 3 months from delivery. the glass is always cleaned prior to long journeys but still doing it. Last week I noticed condensation blocking the camera when I returned home after having the warning all day even in daylight. Photograph sent and service appointment has been scheduled.

My M-Y near side pillar camera started showing errors in September after 3 months from delivery. the glass is always cleaned prior to long journeys but still doing it. Last week I noticed condensation blocking the camera when I returned home after having the warning all day even in daylight. Photograph sent and service appointment has been scheduled.
I'm not sure what they will do for you. Cold air from outside is touching the glass space covering the camera. The inside of the glass is warmer so thermal convection takes place and  voila, you have condensation. :(

Happened to me with USS on my old car too - cameras can't see anything when it's dark / pitch black, which is why the wipers are so awful at night too.

I suspect in this case, we get a lot more information from our cars than other brands tell you, not sure if other cars report cameras being blocked / blinded?
Other brands of cars either don't tend to have lots of cameras or use them for anything critical. My Land Rover has a cameras but they are used for 360 parking view, off road views, reading and displaying speed limits and controlling the matrix headlights. Not sure it uses then for much else off top of my head. First three of those aren't critical to safety of driving the car and matrix headlights are just looking for the shine of car lights mostly or enough ambient light like in well lit roads that they turn off the high beam.

Reactions: DaveW
I’ve seen this error even when driving in full sun with the cameras clean. Be great if the monitoring system would be intelligent enough to determine which errors it needs to actually report on and which it could suppress.

The level of driver information can be too much and too irrelevant such that it creates a less than positive driver experience and perception of quality and comfort. The cameras get unblocked when the sun is obscured by a cloud or when the road changes the angle of incidence (probably wrong phrase).

I sit on a laptop all day I really don’t need to know the fan speed or if the cpu is running hotter than average.

Just reviving this thread as my car goes into an SC next week to try and cure cameras blocked or blinded giving rise to Lane Departure warnings unavailable.

The proposed cure may involve replacing the pillar camera applique

Anyone know what an applique is or does?

Unless it cures sunlight and condensation it’s unlikely to work!

I’ve seen this error even when driving in full sun with the cameras clean. Be great if the monitoring system would be intelligent enough to determine which errors it needs to actually report on and which it could suppress.

The level of driver information can be too much and too irrelevant such that it creates a less than positive driver experience and perception of quality and comfort. The cameras get unblocked when the sun is obscured by a cloud or when the road changes the angle of incidence (probably wrong phrase).

I sit on a laptop all day I really don’t need to know the fan speed or if the cpu is running hotter than average.
Partially agree with this but it also means that some safety or automation system is no longer working at that time. I suspect as it’s the law to have some of these in Europe and on at the start of each drive it’s probably the law to let people know when they aren’t working.

Not saying I agree with all of this but just saying why it might be happening.

Just reviving this thread as my car goes into an SC next week to try and cure cameras blocked or blinded giving rise to Lane Departure warnings unavailable.

The proposed cure may involve replacing the pillar camera applique

Anyone know what an applique is or does?

Unless it cures sunlight and condensation it’s unlikely to work!
If it happens when the sun shines directly into the camera, it's unlikely to do much. Unless the glass was dirty inside or it is an older version more susceptible to moisture, there shouldn't much difference. Just like when the sun shines directly in your eye and you have a hard time seeing, when the sun is at the angle that directly shines into the camera, the car will have a hard time too.

Same thing applies at night. If the error is popping up at night in pitch black roads, I doubt any hardware switch would do anything. The error is because it's literally too dark for the camera to see.

If it happens when the sun shines directly into the camera, it's unlikely to do much. Unless the glass was dirty inside or it is an older version more susceptible to moisture, there shouldn't much difference. Just like when the sun shines directly in your eye and you have a hard time seeing, when the sun is at the angle that directly shines into the camera, the car will have a hard time too.

Same thing applies at night. If the error is popping up at night in pitch black roads, I doubt any hardware switch would do anything. The error is because it's literally too dark for the camera to see.
I did a 10 mile round trip this morning at 1pm. There was condensation covering both camera windows when I got home. The sun was To my right and it was that pillar camera that gave the error.

Same journey recently at 4pm and the sun was on my left. Left camera gave the error. I didn’t check but I bet there was condensation then too.