Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left side inner taillight panel fitment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'22 SLR I have no idea how the heck they are going to fix this. The bigger question is how does it get out of the factory like this. There must not be anyone who cares which is pretty sad. My 2017 didn't have any issues at all and this new one is already beginning to look a bit shoddy.

trunkpanel.JPG

Marc

So, comparing this to the right side, is it the black interior part that is off, or the red, painted body panel?
It looks like it is both. The top fender cap on the left side looks like it was welded on so that it protrudes to the rear about 5 mm too much. It also looks like the same cap is angled higher as well. You could conceivably fix the lower part by remounting the plastic panel in and up but that isn't going to do anything to alleviate the gap at the top unless the plastic piece itself is mis-formed but I doubt it. The more I look the more bummed I get. Probably best to stop looking. IE: the gaps on the right and left sides of the trunk lid are completely different. On the same problem left side the trunk lid is within a hair or rubbing the fender cap while on the right side the gap varies between 3-6 mm. This is not the kind of crap that can be easily fixed I'm afraid. Just have to live with it. I guess I'm just disappointed. The '17 was really good but the range was dwindling and I really wanted air suspension. I just didn't expect the quality to take such a hit in 5 years. Live and learn I guess :-(

Marc

Dave said "The plastic parts do not fit the same. Looks like the plastic is definitely off. The plastic on the left goes out a good 1/2 inch past the top of the tailight, while the right is even at the top with the tailight. The plastic is definitely different on each side all the way down, but it is just the top that is really off."

I just measured both right and left top extending portions of the plastic cover and they are exactly the same at 12 mm. Whoever assembled the right side forced it a bit so the plastic is indented. If you closely you'll see it. I made an appointment for April 21 (first available) so we'll see what if anything they can do. about it.

Marc

Reactions: DerbyDave
I deleted that post, but I think the plastic is different. Look at where the seams are different on left and right. The reason I deleted it was I saw the left top of the left rear fender coming down is like bent up from way up along the rear window seam. It just isn't right. In case you get a bunch of static from Tesla -- my last car was an Audi A8 and on the left rear door frame where it met the rear quarter panel, there was this 1" separation at the top. Only I would ever notice it. The other side was fine. It didn't leak, and it didn't cause any appearance issues anyone would notice from the outside. Only when you opened the door and looked closely was it an issue. I couldn't believe Audi quality control did not fix that during production. Hey, as long as it doesn't show, doesn't affect resale, and doesn't hurt anything, it is OK. The only problem is YOU know it is there. :)

I deleted that post, but I think the plastic is different. Look at where the seams are different on left and right. The reason I deleted it was I saw the left top of the left rear fender coming down is like bent up from way up along the rear window seam. It just isn't right. In case you get a bunch of static from Tesla -- my last car was an Audi A8 and on the left rear door frame where it met the rear quarter panel, there was this 1" separation at the top. Only I would ever notice it. The other side was fine. It didn't leak, and it didn't cause any appearance issues anyone would notice from the outside. Only when you opened the door and looked closely was it an issue. I couldn't believe Audi quality control did not fix that during production. Hey, as long as it doesn't show, doesn't affect resale, and doesn't hurt anything, it is OK. The only problem is YOU know it is there. :)

I completely agree. My wife just said the same thing, "just quit looking at it". More than anything else it bums me out that they either think that it's OK or worse, nobody even looks. I can imagine they're getting pushed way beyond what they were in 2017 just trying to keep up with demand and that in of itself will cause all kinds of quality issues. Defects will get passed through just so as to meet quotas, etc. That's been the downfall of more than one enterprise I can think of so I hope the Tesla management recognizes what's going on and is committed to rectifying it. If not, there will be hell to pay for it in the shape of all the competition already looming on the horizon.

Marc

Reactions: DerbyDave