TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leonardo DiCaprio's climate change documentary

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by ggnykk, Oct 7, 2016.

1. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Great trailer of the upcoming documentary about the serious issue we are facing with climate change. Elon Musk was also featured briefly here.

• Like x 4
  2. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

I want to see Elon do a documentary on Titanic first.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

#4 SpiceWare, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

haha, why?

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

Because DiCaprio has about as much credibility on climate change as Elon has about what it takes to star across Kate Winslet and still make people want to strangle her.

• Dislike x 7
    • Like x 1
  7. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

Watched it. Not much there for anybody who has been paying attention these past few decades. DiCaprio is kind of a twit. He is obviously quite ignorant. Not clear whether or not he's stupid, but he might be. I'm not going to recommend it to anybody.

• Dislike x 6
    • Like x 1
  8. KJD

KJD Member

I watched to movie and I liked it. I also think the carbon tax is a good idea.

• Like x 3
  9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

wow, sounds like a lot of people here in Tesla community is anti-environment and anti-global warming??

10. RichardC

RichardC Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter

I applaud the film's efforts to overcome the disinformation that has delayed effective action on climate change for much too long.

• Like x 5
  11. AntronX

AntronX Member

#11 AntronX, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Just watched it. I was pretty good. I think Leo did well and was not a twit at all. He interviewed the right people. Highlight of the movie for me was at 1h28m44s point where he shook hands with Al Gore.

Interesting revelation was how much CO2 equivalent does beef production emit. I looked up the claim that 1/2lb beef burger is equivalent to carbon emitted by generating 12kWh of US grid electricity, and it is legit. 1Kg of conventional beef in US emits 22Kg of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gases. So eating one double quarter pounder from McDonalds equals 5 KG of CO2 or equivalent to driving 45 miles in my EV.

Edit: youtube comments are literally cancer. If this is how general electorate thinks, then we are F**kd.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

YouTube comments are always like that. It's as close to the bottom as a person can reach, without going there. Don't put any weight on them - pretend they're just Microsoft chatbots.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  13. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Actually there is an ignorant majority on this topic. The you tube commenters are the extreme wing. Mankind needs visionary leadership who will not pander to the masses or we all die.

14. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Seemed like an effective intro to the subject, but nothing new. I thought it was pretty good. Most people would probably benefit from watching it, as most people know almost nothing about climate change.

• Like x 2
  15. RichardC

RichardC Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter

This is not natural ignorance. Massive amounts of money are spent to confuse the public into a state which effectively mimics ignorance.

I just listened to the audio book of "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" by Jane Mayer, and would also recommend Michael Mann's latest book, entitled "The Madhouse Effect".

• Like x 1
  16. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

There are a lot of things I don't agree with the movie but it has a huge point that we have to listen to.

The part that really got me was when he was in India and the woman said "Why should we change what we do over here when the USA preaches to the high heavens and never follows through with what they are preaching" ( not those exact words but along those lines )

• Like x 2
  17. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

#17 ggnykk, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Just realized that the full documentary is available for free on Youtube!! Here it is.

• Like x 2
  18. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

apparently, Tesla also posted this trailer on their Facebook page as well.

19. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

4.5 million views on Youtube now for just two days! Incredible achievement for a documentary.

• Like x 1
  20. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I thought it was mostly good, but wasn't as convincing as it should have been. There are other people he should have talked to, and some parts drag on a little.

I'm 100% behind doing big things to combat climate change, but I still struggle with the cow thing. No one seems to be able to explain it to me in a way that doesn't sound crack pot. I don't even know which end of the cow it's supposedly coming out of. This documentary didn't help. We are not digging cows up from underground and burning them. There needs to be a seriously thorough and scientific look at agriculture and the complexities surrounding it to really understand what needs to stop, what can be fixed or improved, and what doesn't matter. For example, do the CO2 emissions include emissions from operation of machinery? Because I think that's a cheat. That's an area that just needs improved, because you could build machinery that is zero emission. It doesn't mean you need to stop eating meat anymore than ICEs mean you should stop driving. You don't need to stop driving, just get on board the EV train. This might not be a big part of it, but just an example of how complex the cow issue potentially is. The evidence for climate change in fossil fuel use is highly convincing. The cow thing is not. Need to work on that. I'm not against changing eating habits, but I need better clarification and more convincing evidence.

• Informative x 1