Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less expensive home charging alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My utility in California does not provide any kind of rebate for the installation of the wall charger. The only thing they offer is that I can have a separate meter installed (at my expense plus charge for inspection) and then I'll get a slightly reduced rate charging the car from that meter. All told, it was approximately $1,500 to have that installed (the meter) -- so I opted not to do it. I installed at 6-50 plug initially and have since swapped that out for a HPWC. It would take years of charging at regular rates to make up the installation cost of the special "EV" meter. You'd think they'd actually incentivize this, but they don't where I live.
dont forget you'd get 1/3 of your installation cost covered by the federal tax credit!

The credit is not a given for personal use. To complete Form 8911, you must complete the Tentative Minimum Tax (Form 6251). See line 17 of 8911. That may preclude you from receiving the credit.
Good point, never noticed that before. However it would only impact people with incomes that trigger the Alternative Minimum Tax. Fairly unlikely unless you make over $200K and have itemized deductions.

That’s bad information. I don’t know of a single jurisdiction in California that exempts new outlets from permitting requirements. Monterey County requires them.

ask any licensed electrician . . . Heck - just google "do I need a permit to install a new outlet in California" and let me know what you find.
There are MANY places across this great country that have FAR fewer inspections and permits than CA. And yet we live just fine. Actually by many account better.

I'll give it a shot. Let's say you have two EVs but only one 50A circuit and want two wall connectors. Instead of setting both cars to charge at 20A max, you can set each car at 40A and the two wall connectors will communicate with each other and split the 40A between the two cars automatically and if only one car is charging, it'll get the full 40A.....likewise, if one car finishes charging before the other, it'll bump them up to 40A as well.
This is correct. I have a 100 amp breaker to feed my two HPWC for up to 40 amp charging x2. Personally, I think this is the way to do it if you're going to be a multi EV family and want to have convenience.