Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less expensive home charging alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the licensed electrician who told me a simple plug install from an existing panel does not require permits or inspection. Didn't add any new breakers, done to code.
this may work for some jurisdictions. In most jurisdictions, and in most home insurance policies, obtaining permits for this would be a building code requirement. I'm getting mine inspected, which adds nearly $350 to the total... Worth it IMO

Really? Here, a new receptacle install requires a permit and inspection. Especially if it requires new wiring. Only a replacement of an existing receptacle with a same type does not require a permit.

Yes, really. Lots of places do not require permits to run wire and install a new outlet. I installed my own, ran my own wire to the breaker box, installed the 50 amp breaker. Having done minor electrical and wiring in new construction, I had no qualms in doing the work and it cost me about $150. An inspector came out and looked around (there were other changes in my garage) and approved it, but there was no permit required.

Requirements vary a lot from state to state, county to county, city to city. I live outside the major towns in Napa Valley, and permits are not required for any work done by the homeowner. That means no permits for an entirely new garage. So if "there" a new receptacle requires a permit and inspection, that's not the case everywhere.

is there a difference in efficiency between charging 14-50 vs the wall connector?
No idea on efficiency but the wall adapter can charge up to 48amps (I believe) whereas the one that comes with the car tops out at 32 amps -- so you can expect to charge at a rate of at least10+ miles per hour faster with the HPWC depending on whether you mate it with a 50 amp (42 amp charging) or 60 amp (48 amp charging) breaker.

rebates rebates rebates. They're all over the place. Also don't forget that you can get up to $1000 (or 1/3 of value) of federal tax credit for EV readiness installation in your home.

It all comes down to convenience and long term cost and what your energy bill looks like. I have a smart charger connected to a separate meter and separate service. My rate to charge is 1/3 of my home electricity cost. The ROI, all in, is <3 years for that smart charger, and that's not even accounting for that I don't need to leave my couch to manage the charging activities. Juicebox, Chargepoint, Siemens are the common reliable level 2 chargers.

rebates rebates rebates. They're all over the place. Also don't forget that you can get up to $1000 (or 1/3 of value) of federal tax credit for EV readiness installation in your home.

It all comes down to convenience and long term cost and what your energy bill looks like. I have a smart charger connected to a separate meter and separate service. My rate to charge is 1/3 of my home electricity cost. The ROI, all in, is <3 years for that smart charger, and that's not even accounting for that I don't need to leave my couch to manage the charging activities. Juicebox, Chargepoint, Siemens are the common reliable level 2 chargers.
My utility in California does not provide any kind of rebate for the installation of the wall charger. The only thing they offer is that I can have a separate meter installed (at my expense plus charge for inspection) and then I'll get a slightly reduced rate charging the car from that meter. All told, it was approximately $1,500 to have that installed (the meter) -- so I opted not to do it. I installed at 6-50 plug initially and have since swapped that out for a HPWC. It would take years of charging at regular rates to make up the installation cost of the special "EV" meter. You'd think they'd actually incentivize this, but they don't where I live.

The main disadvantage to this is that you don't carry your charging cable with you. If you don't travel much, not a big deal. There have been reports on this forum of folks trying to unplug their charger and take it with them each day who then had problems with the outlet wearing out and shorting.

Other than that, it's fine.

I hate when folks call every electrical fault a “short”. “Shorts” are extremely rare, they are typically spectacular and immediate. The fault that occurs with those outlets is due to high resistance connection (closer to an open than a short). But I agree with your point. Saving a few bucks now will cost them in the end. They also tend to skip installing a ground fault breaker which is ~$100 extra. But who cares about safety when you save a few bucks.

I splurged and got the Gen 3 Wall Connector. Had to pay for permit and city inspection.

Apollo Charging is the company that did the electrical work. Apollo Electric Home Page

If you're in the Bay Area, ask for Ted.
wallconnector_gen3.jpg

Yes, really. Lots of places do not require permits to run wire and install a new outlet. I installed my own, ran my own wire to the breaker box, installed the 50 amp breaker. Having done minor electrical and wiring in new construction, I had no qualms in doing the work and it cost me about $150. An inspector came out and looked around (there were other changes in my garage) and approved it, but there was no permit required.

Requirements vary a lot from state to state, county to county, city to city. I live outside the major towns in Napa Valley, and permits are not required for any work done by the homeowner. That means no permits for an entirely new garage. So if "there" a new receptacle requires a permit and inspection, that's not the case everywhere.

That's simply not true. Here's the Napa County permit process flyer . . . . https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3650/Do-I-Need-a-Permit-Handout-PDF Anything over 120sf requires a permit - and even a smaller "shed" would require a permit if you're running electrical to it.

Note too - that Residential EV Charging Stations (Napa County) qualify for an express permit: Express Permit Program | Napa County, CA

I don't know why people continue to spout incorrect information about permitting requirements for electrical work. Some people may simply forego the proper way to get something permitted and inspected - but it is required - including in Napa County.

I hate when folks call every electrical fault a “short”. “Shorts” are extremely rare, they are typically spectacular and immediate. The fault that occurs with those outlets is due to high resistance connection (closer to an open than a short). But I agree with your point. Saving a few bucks now will cost them in the end. They also tend to skip installing a ground fault breaker which is ~$100 extra. But who cares about safety when you save a few bucks.
Sorry man, I am not an electrician and was just trying to point out the potential problems that can occur with constantly removing the plugs. Thanks for correcting me.

I am currently using the 14-50 method as well.
However one plus to the wall connector is when you have two Tesla's in your garage.
My wife is interested in getting one now too, so if we add hers we can do the Tesla Shuffle, each night swapping spots for the 14-50 or install TWO wall connectors. They can be slaved together sharing the same circuit and load balancing the circuit to split over 50 amps.

The main disadvantage to this is that you don't carry your charging cable with you.

Do people still carry their mobile chargers with them? Back in the early days when the supercharger network and general infrastructure was less, it made sense, but nowadays, I don't see many situations where I would need to use my mobile connector ...especially with 300+ miles of range. Granted, I would take it on a very long trip just in case, but carrying it every day doesn't make sense to me.

SEndicott: Might you explain "load balancing"? Never hear of it.

I'll give it a shot. Let's say you have two EVs but only one 50A circuit and want two wall connectors. Instead of setting both cars to charge at 20A max, you can set each car at 40A and the two wall connectors will communicate with each other and split the 40A between the two cars automatically and if only one car is charging, it'll get the full 40A.....likewise, if one car finishes charging before the other, it'll bump them up to 40A as well.