Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let’s hear it for the Service Center techs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feels like this community could use some cheering up.

At a certain point in my career, I read my industry’s equivalent of this forum every. single. day.

Eventually, I realized it wasn’t necessary to keep on top of every single happening: I’d more or less seen everything, and if anything truly novel were afoot, I’d hear about it from my customers soon enough.

This struck me today when talking with the service center tech who spent the last week gently coaxing my Roadster into perfect health. He was vaguely aware something had happened in Phoenix - he was just too busy working on cars to spend time speculating on the hows and the whys and the consequences.

All this to say: while we hear independent shop owners’ praises sung here on a regular basis, there are some *very* unsung heroes in the Roadster community: folks who share our dedication to preserving these vehicles and who make it their life’s work to effectuate that preservation, doing so humbly and quietly.

They’re probably not on here. They may never find their way here; and if they do, they may not feel comfortable posting on here. However: if they do stumble on this thread, let’s hear it for our Service Center Roadster Technicians!

Buy ‘em a beer, slip them a fat tip, or tell us all about that time they saved your skin. (Feel free to post your gripes in another thread; let’s keep it positive and celebratory here.)

Feels like this community could use some cheering up.

At a certain point in my career, I read my industry’s equivalent of this forum every. single. day.

Eventually, I realized it wasn’t necessary to keep on top of every single happening: I’d more or less seen everything, and if anything truly novel were afoot, I’d hear about it from my customers soon enough.

This struck me today when talking with the service center tech who spent the last week gently coaxing my Roadster into perfect health. He was vaguely aware something had happened in Phoenix - he was just too busy working on cars to spend time speculating on the hows and the whys and the consequences.

All this to say: while we hear independent shop owners’ praises sung here on a regular basis, there are some *very* unsung heroes in the Roadster community: folks who share our dedication to preserving these vehicles and who make it their life’s work to effectuate that preservation, doing so humbly and quietly.

They’re probably not on here. They may never find their way here; and if they do, they may not feel comfortable posting on here. However: if they do stumble on this thread, let’s hear it for our Service Center Roadster Technicians!

Buy ‘em a beer, slip them a fat tip, or tell us all about that time they saved your skin. (Feel free to post your gripes in another thread; let’s keep it positive and celebratory here.)
Well said, indeed!
I have a local independent ev shop with roadster experience that I can text to get help to trouble shoot. There’s also a near-by Tesla SC with competent roadster trained tech to help with most issues. The local SC parts manager understands the difficulty of finding parts and goes out of his ways to help. Yes, I’ve raised a mug or two with these local roadster heroes.
Cheers!

I couldn't say enough good about the service I got from the local shop when I first got the car back in 2014. Both the car and I were treated with respect. They bent over backwards to do the right thing, instead of just going by the book.

Alas, that changed a couple of years ago, and since then my car has consistently come back in worse shape than when it went in for the yearly maintenance. An overfilled HVAC system led to a compressor and battery overtemp a few months later. On-going problems with the PEM Fan connector, which went out again mid-summer last year. Finger pointing to my OVMS as a cause (not bloody possible). I decided to fix it myself (couldn't drive the car in any event due to the pandemic), resulting in me finding the actual root cause that they never found. Working fine since then.

To be fair, they've been swamped. A new Center was opened in the area, so perhaps things have improved? I haven't had the car in for a couple of years now, so it's due. Maybe in the Spring?

Reactions: drewski