Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let us brainstorm of ways to delay official delivery "in service" date for $7k Tax Credit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi friends,
Let us find ways to improve our chances of getting that $7k. Can we work something out with the Tesla Delivery folks to let them know either by additional deposit or another customize contract to guarantee them that we are 100% buying and paying for this car but don't want to have the official document sign until later to qualify for this Green Act. I heard that Tesla allows overnight or extended test drive, etc. Thanks so much.

Hi friends,
Let us find ways to improve our chances of getting that $7k. Can we work something out with the Tesla Delivery folks to let them know either by additional deposit or another customize contract to guarantee them that we are 100% buying and paying for this car but don't want to have the official document sign until later to qualify for this Green Act. I heard that Tesla allows overnight or extended test drive, etc. Thanks so much.

As far as I know you can just let them know you're not ready yet for delivery. If they ask why just make something up, have a lease I'm not ready yet to return, work situation got delayed a little so I don't need the new car just yet, etc. They might push around the end of the quarter, but as long as you aren't assigned a vehicle, they won't demand you come pick it up. Usually they'll let you delay for up to a year before they out right cancel your order. Honestly you could just say you want to delay till summer because you heard there will be a larger battery by then... even if they tell you no, just say you'll feel better by waiting and seeing.

They release any car assigned to you and then just keep dumping you back into the line. In fact, once you order you could call and tell them you're not ready to take delivery until May or something and they'll put a notice on your account not to match before then.

Have you ordered yet?

Reactions: EchoDelta
Thanks for the advice. I know we have the option not to take delivery. But hoping for the best or better options or guarantee them 100% we are buying and paying with additonal customized contract if needed so we can use the car and Tesla doesn't have to worry, etc. Mine is arriving next 12 days.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
As far as I know you can just let them know you're not ready yet for delivery. If they ask why just make something up, have a lease I'm not ready yet to return, work situation got delayed a little so I don't need the new car just yet, etc. They might push around the end of the quarter, but as long as you aren't assigned a vehicle, they won't demand you come pick it up. Usually they'll let you delay for up to a year before they out right cancel your order. Honestly you could just say you want to delay till summer because you heard there will be a larger battery by then... even if they tell you no, just say you'll feel better by waiting and seeing.

They release any car assigned to you and then just keep dumping you back into the line. In fact, once you order you could call and tell them you're not ready to take delivery until May or something and they'll put a notice on your account not to match before then.

Have you ordered yet?

I posted a comment on another thread about this here.

There, I suggested the following:

While I realize Tesla/Elon have no control over what Congress does, their actions are impacting Tesla (and GM for that matter). I've kicked around the idea of trying to assemble a group of buyers who fall in this category, putting together a Google sheet to provide some validity and attach a $ number to it---share this with folks on Ways/Means committee and prompt them to add a date for purchase eligibility in the Bill and then supply to Elon, and ask for some help---for example, if all such buyers place an order in Q1, take delivery in 2021 and it ends up that the delivery date pre-dates eligibility on the Tax Credit (if it passes) then Tesla would offer a $7k discount on the purchase of FSD or some other benefit to these buyers (perhaps year of supercharging?). Thoughts? I realize they don't have to do anything, but for some of us who are looking to buy, we don't have to either--my car is perfectly fine, was just going to make a change and was ready to purchase when this new tax credit legislation was introduced.

I'd still be wiling to give a run at this, there just wasn't much uptake/interest on the other thread re this option. Frankly, I think the combination of people waiting (delayed sales) or people 'working the system' to delay taking delivery (delayed sales and increased delivery/supply chain headaches) has the potential to be meaningful. Frankly, I'm going to buy a Model YP regardless, I just don't 'need' to do it at this moment--I'm ready to go or I'm also happy to wait awhile if it means an extra $7k tax credit.

Reactions: Maric
Hi friends,

It's not clear if you're asking for paperwork to be done post delivery, but if so, that's tax fraud.

Thanks for the advice. I know we have the option not to take delivery. But hoping for the best or better options or guarantee them 100% we are buying and paying with additonal customized contract if needed so we can use the car and Tesla doesn't have to worry, etc. Mine is arriving next 12 days.

So you can "use the car" ? Tesla doesn't rent cars. You can use the car by taking delivery. Or you can wait and not take delivery. Tesla isn't going to give you a car that isn't fully paid for, unless you take a lease out.

The tax credit right now, if it comes back, looks like it will not be retroactive, so if you're really banking on it, delay delivery and do not sign any paperwork.

Reactions: Big Earl
I posted a comment on another thread about this here.

There, I suggested the following:

While I realize Tesla/Elon have no control over what Congress does, their actions are impacting Tesla (and GM for that matter). I've kicked around the idea of trying to assemble a group of buyers who fall in this category, putting together a Google sheet to provide some validity and attach a $ number to it---share this with folks on Ways/Means committee and prompt them to add a date for purchase eligibility in the Bill and then supply to Elon, and ask for some help---for example, if all such buyers place an order in Q1, take delivery in 2021 and it ends up that the delivery date pre-dates eligibility on the Tax Credit (if it passes) then Tesla would offer a $7k discount on the purchase of FSD or some other benefit to these buyers (perhaps year of supercharging?). Thoughts? I realize they don't have to do anything, but for some of us who are looking to buy, we don't have to either--my car is perfectly fine, was just going to make a change and was ready to purchase when this new tax credit legislation was introduced.

I'd still be wiling to give a run at this, there just wasn't much uptake/interest on the other thread re this option. Frankly, I think the combination of people waiting (delayed sales) or people 'working the system' to delay taking delivery (delayed sales and increased delivery/supply chain headaches) has the potential to be meaningful. Frankly, I'm going to buy a Model YP regardless, I just don't 'need' to do it at this moment--I'm ready to go or I'm also happy to wait awhile if it means an extra $7k tax credit.

Keep an eye on inventory levels at the stores. If they're building up then Tesla might consider something like that. If they don't have much of an existing inventory then there really isn't any impact to them. They can shift more production to overseas if they have excess at the factory. Otherwise, the fact is, people are buying Tesla's and taking delivery and Tesla doesn't have more than a hundred or so new cars across the whole US. That's like two or three on average per state, all they need is a couple people to walk into a store and ask how quick they can get a car and those will be sold.

Tesla is still in a good position and they're liking to not eat the cost of any government screw arounds. Contact your representative and tell them to get their act together and adjust the wording in the proposed bill... while you're at it, ask about the "$2,000" ($1400) stimulus that we were promised would be top priority... almost five weeks ago...

Just don't order until the bill is passed. It's really that simple. Why is this so hard?
You actually could order now, you just can't take delivery before it's passed. (At least the previous bill was based on delivery date)

The day you sign the paperwork with Tesla that they handed the car over to you is the date that the government used to see if you qualify for the credit, not the day you placed an order.

OP wants to take a car home and drive it around without "taking delivery" until it's passed. He would have to be on temp plates the whole time or Tesla would have to give him the car, register it to him, and have some side contract saying he promises to fully pay for it as soon as the bill passes. Tesla isn't going to make special side contracts at the store level for stuff like this and they probably won't even make it at the corporate level...

You actually could order now, you just can't take delivery before it's passed. (At least the previous bill was based on delivery date)

The day you sign the paperwork with Tesla that they handed the car over to you is the date that the government used to see if you qualify for the credit, not the day you placed an order.

OP wants to take a car home and drive it around without "taking delivery" until it's passed. He would have to be on temp plates the whole time or Tesla would have to give him the car, register it to him, and have some side contract saying he promises to fully pay for it as soon as the bill passes. Tesla isn't going to make special side contracts at the store level for stuff like this and they probably won't even make it at the corporate level...
I understand. There are multiple threads/comments across this forum and various FB groups with people trying to determine if this credit - if it even comes to fruition - would be retroactive. Many other folks are speaking authoritatively about it, which is ridiculous. If you had a car delivered this year already, assume you won't get it. If you haven't and you want it, then wait. It's really that simple. There are much better things to discuss, like why the heat isn't working or should I wait for the new headlights or air suspension. ;-)

As I wrote above asking for win/win legal suggestions that can help many folks and the planet which stated many beneficial reasons why the previous bill 2010 was passed "Tesla doesn't have to worry." Many think this bill should be signed sooner rather than much later even before 2020, analogous to vaccines for those who need it the most the sooner the better. I know many deserve this more than I do. I am willing to wait as I am fortunate to have extra resources.

The hope is to find ideas with the understanding and acceptance the sooner the better by working together with Tesla taking whatever additional steps if needed to prove or pay, sign contracts to increase the effectiveness and timeliness these approved bills intended to help, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: illusion8
As I wrote above asking for win/win legal suggestions that can help many folks and the planet which stated many beneficial reasons why the previous bill 2010 was passed "Tesla doesn't have to worry." Many think this bill should be signed sooner rather than much later even before 2020, analogous to vaccines for those who need it the most the sooner the better. I know many deserve this more than I do. I am willing to wait as I am fortunate to have extra resources.

The hope is to find ideas with the understanding and acceptance the sooner the better by working together with Tesla taking whatever additional steps if needed to prove or pay, sign contracts to increase the effectiveness and timeliness these approved bills intended to help, etc.

The win/win is order now, take delivery as soon as the bill passes and has an effective date attached to it. They don't custom build a car with your name on it. You can order today, and if they call you tomorrow saying it's ready, just say you're not ready for delivery until May, or June, or August. You don't have to give them a reason other than "I'm just not ready yet, I thought I would have to wait anyways."

The only time I've heard Tesla forcing a delivery has been at the end of the year when a customer had been delaying delivery for like 9+ months and Tesla asked for either accept delivery, cancel and lose the $100, or modify the order (if there was an edge case of a configuration you could order but deliveries hadn't started on it yet).

I'm confused why you seem afraid to order? It's right in the terms Tesla asks you to agree to when you pay the $100 to order a new car.
Order Process; Cancellation; Changes. After you submit your completed order, we will begin the process of preparing and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. At this point, you agree that any paid Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation fee have been earned. If you cancel your order or breach this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee, to the extent not otherwise prohibited by law. You acknowledge that the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee are a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement. The Order Fee, Order Deposit, Transportation Fee and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

In this case the order fee is the only money you've paid and would be the only thing lost. (transportation fee isn't paid for until you confirm a delivery date and order deposit can be kicked down the road as long as you want by just saying "I'm not ready just yet")

Then tell Tesla - "I am not ready to take delivery. I am waiting for the tax credit bill to be passed. Please delay my order until DDMMMYYYY".
Screenshot_20210226-031057_Gmail.jpg

Last edited: