Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's get some HPWCs installed in Yosemite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. Let me re-phrase: An HPWC would be awesome, and certainly usable by any Tesla with or without twin chargers. It would still be, however, limited to Teslas. Great from our standpoint. Yet since space in Yosemite Valley is extremely limited, and concession run, it may be more practical, and convincing for them to ask for installation of something more universal.

Sun Country Highway J-1772 in Yosemite?

More EV charging options in Yosemite is a great idea. But I think it should be J-1772 and not a proprietary connector like the HPWC. I wouldn't want my tax dollars spent on proprietary Level 2 EV charging that I can't use with my Tesla, and I suspect owners of other plug-in brands might agree.

While most of today's BEVs would struggle to make it to Yosemite, plug-in hybrids like the Volt and Fusion Energi can easily make it there and all of them have J-1772 connectors. And there will probably be long-range BEVs from other automakers in coming years.

Sun Country Highway has been very successful getting lodging establishments to install J-1772 charging stations. While most are in Canada, there are several existing or pending Sun Country Highway charging stations in California. Sun Country Highway has Clipper Creek CS-40, CS-60, and CS-100 J-1772 chargers. The CS-100 charges as fast as a Tesla HPWC, delivering up to 80A.

I understand that many Sun Country Highway J-1772 stations are sponsored by individuals who donate the money to buy the charger, while the host business pays the installation and operating costs.

I'd be willing to contribute toward the purchase of a Sun Country Highway CS-100 J-1772 in Yosemite Valley. Is anyone else interested in contributing toward this? If so, I'll contact Sun Country Highway and see if they wish to pursue this.

Bonnie, I didn't see any response about the request for the Roadster charger.

There are a ton more Model S's than Roadsters out there, so I think it is worthy of another try.

A little history for those of you interested in pursuing ... read through this thread Yosemite! . You'll see some information regarding Roadster owners previously contacting the Ahwahnee about installing a spot to charge.

- - - Updated - - -

My only thought of a supercharger vs. Sun Country (which I know zilch about), is that it is fast. Since parking is such a problem in Yosemite, I can't see the charging station being your typical "back of the outlet mall" situation. I would easily imagine that the spot being ICEd a lot. Or if it is a regular J-1772 or something, the spot would be occupied for long stretches and the driver would not return for hours.

A supercharger station in some remote corner parking lot near a shuttle could work better with clear signage that you must return say within 1-2 hours for the next person to fill up.

More EV charging options in Yosemite is a great idea. But I think it should be J-1772 and not a proprietary connector like the HPWC. I wouldn't want my tax dollars spent on proprietary Level 2 EV charging that I can't use with my Tesla, and I suspect owners of other plug-in brands might agree.

In order to get a Supercharger in Yosemite, Tesla would have to pay for everything, as they do with their other Superchargers. I think that's unlikely given the $150-250K upfront cost and infrequent use.

The Sun Country Highway CS-100 J-1772 costs $2.2K to purchase, installation costs vary from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on electrical access.

Currently there is only one EV charging station in Yosemite, a J-1772. If there were some more J-1772 stations there, EV owners would have more assurance that they can charge when needed.

Last edited:
In order to get a Supercharger in Yosemite, Tesla would have to pay for everything...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Tesla install a supercharger in the park(s), though superchargers in gateway towns to National Parks is definitely on the radar screen for Tesla Motors according to the person I spoke with, they recognize that making it easy for Tesla owners to travel to the National Parks is great for the image of the company for its messages of range, ease of use and 'green' credibility.

... If there were some more J-1772 stations there, EV owners would have more assurance that they can charge when needed.

That was my point of starting this thread – though it would be nice for us :wink: if they installed some HPWCs in the parking lots at the Ahwahnee, Yosemite Lodge and the Village (and Tesla Motors is clearly willing to help if Yosemite administration would only respond to their inquiries), we all win if they install J1772s or NEMA 14-50s in their parking lots.

So I think that the more that each of us reach out to various points of contact in Yosemite (email provided earlier, Yosemite reservations, front desk at the hotels, etc.), the more likely this is to bubble up to the point that improving the EV infrastructure in Yosemite will be made a higher priority.

A gateway town is a bit tough as there are three access roads into Yosemite. I think the traffic is reasonably distributed through each. You have Groveland, Mariposa and Oakhurst, all which are sort of gateway towns, but all on the small side.

The same problem occurs with towns along the freeway, as it really depends on the road coming in….

the other advantage to having something closer in near the valley is you will have enough charge to do Glacier point and Tioga pass….

Gateway towns to Yosemite would be Mariposa? Or, a bit further out, Merced?

Owned, but not run by... The Delaware North Companies Hospitality Management Company | Delaware North is a private company that won the bid for the concession to run the public-facing infrastructure (e.g., hotels, shops, restaurants) of Yosemite for (?20) years. The email I provided ([email protected]) is a comment mailbox for the Delaware North Company's Yosemite concession. Not the National Park Service.

They may be reluctant (or prevented by the National Park Service) to install a proprietary (Tesla-only) charger, even though Tesla's are the only BEVs able to penetrate the park at this point. Regardless, we need to raise their awareness and it would be great to just have several more J1772s installed around the Valley...

If a hotel like the Awanhee was motivated to install some charging stations, do they have control over that or does Delaware North?